• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Well, it has been 45 days...

WhatTimeIsIt?

imported post

Applied for a concealed handgun permit on October 22, so day 45 was December 6. This is in Chesapeake, where they have chosen to mail it to the applicant after it is approved or not.
Do I have to go back to the clerk's office to get a temporary permit, or should I be expecting that in the mail? Anyone have a similar experience in Chesapeake?

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I don't know if they mail it or not, but I'd say go down on Monday and get your temporary. There really is no reason for it to take 45 days, plenty of localities with fewer resources issue them in a few weeks.

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

I got a letter on the 45th day from the sheriff in Suffolk telling me my permit had been processed by his office (not that it was ready) and telling me about my "responsibilities as an armed citizen" and such.

I was going to check it out at the court house, but the letter came saying the permit was ready the next day...

Goliath

imported post

I had a similar problem in Albemarle County when I applied for my initial one. When I called the clerk after 48 days, she said the judge is busy and he would get to it when he got to it. T his was at 11 AM. So I called the Chief Justice of the Supreme Courts office and spoke to his clerk. His clerk thanked me for calling and said the Chief Justice was very concerned about this. He then transfered me to the Board of Judicial Review. To make a long story short, I got a call at 2 telling me to come get my permit. Amazeing how fast some wheels can turn. My advice is to make a couple of calls.

Goliath

tsannicolas

imported post

Goliath wrote:
I had a similar problem in Albemarle County when I applied for my initial one. When I called the clerk after 48 days, she said the judge is busy and he would get to it when he got to it. T his was at 11 AM. So I called the Chief Justice of the Supreme Courts office and spoke to his clerk. His clerk thanked me for calling and said the Chief Justice was very concerned about this. He then transfered me to the Board of Judicial Review. To make a long story short, I got a call at 2 telling me to come get my permit. Amazeing how fast some wheels can turn. My advice is to make a couple of calls.

Goliath
yep, vcdl.org tells you exactly who to write to if your permit is taking longer than 45 days to issue.

Thundar

imported post

In Chesapeake the clerk of the court is really CHP friendly. I had a 35 day waitfor my permit. Call the clerk first thing in the morning.

VA Caver

imported post

On day 47, I went to the court in Roanoke to check on the status of my permit. I was told that it was on the judges desk, he was in court, and that they would let me know when it was ready. I smiled and politely informed them that by law I was to be issued a temporary permit. They asked me to have a seat.

10 minutes later, my permit miraculously appeared :D

Go down on Monday and talk to them in person...things get done when you're standing there and not on the phone.

WhatTimeIsIt?

imported post

Went to the clerk's office this morning and asked for a temporary. Turns out, permit was ready and was sitting in their outgoing mailbox.

tsannicolas

imported post

WhatTimeIsIt? wrote:
Went to the clerk's office this morning and asked for a temporary. Turns out, permit was ready and was sitting in their outgoing mailbox.
HA! likely story on their part.

but glad you got it!