• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Well it wasn't much but I did OC today

SteveInCO

Colorado Springs area

I have until today OCed in gun stores, shooting ranges and the homes of people who are staunchly pro gun; places that clearly would approve, fairly often in the past. (NB: Dragonman's is an exception--don't bring a gun in there without prior approval.) It's not necessarily common at these places though; one large chain gun shop is perfectly gun friendly but I had never, until today, seen anyone else OC in it before today. (But I am getting ahead of myself.) Call these "friendly territory," where the owners are overjoyed to see you carry.

I have occasionally seen other OC take place in grocery stores and Walmarts. "Neutral territory."

Today was my first tiny foray into neutral territory.

A friend and I went shooting. I will CC (or in friendly territory OC) a CZ-75 in 9mm; it's fairly concealable. Being in friendly territory I did just that going into the indoor range. I did bring my nightstand gun with me, though, to test a new brand of ammo in it, it's a Glock 20 (10mm), and I do have an outside the wasteband holster that sticks out a LOT for it. It's strictly an OC piece with the accessories I have now.

Anyhow as we were packing up my stuff I said, "well what the hell" and put on the G20. My friend and I went to a subway across the street from the gun shop we were going to next, and both of us OCed into that establishment.

It's in a not-very-good neighborhood, so I was expecting some signs of alarm from people who'd be worried that we meant violence. But not a thing. No sign anyone even noticed. Maybe they are used to the gun shop employees (who always OC 1911s while at work) going over for lunch, who knows? But that was it; my first OC outside of Very Friendly territory.

I did ditch the gun when I stepped into a little vestibule that was really part of a bank lobby to use an ATM. It was after hours but I don't know how "touchy" banks get about OC. My friend was driving, I told him to by all means use my G-20 first if necessary.

Last stop of the day was back in "Friendly Territory," that other chain store I mentioned. And I did see someone OCing; we exchanged the usual "what are you carrying" info (his was a S&W in .40 I believe). A different individual I know from elsewhere saw me and went out of his way to tell me how happy he was to see me carrying (though he himself was not, at least not OC). I get that a lot from older people; I think they think "youngsters" like me (I am pushing 50 but apparently don't look it) are going to the dogs, gun-wise.

Those were the only comments I got, and they weren't even in the "neutral territory."

Cool! Next step is a Walmart!

--------------

2013.9.10 - recall elections for oath-of-office violating state senators!

Last edited:

SteveInCO

The Mos Eisely Walmart

Well the Mos Eisely Walmart (Platte near Chelton) of course is one where you really do need to pack, if you know what I mean. But I typically go to either Falcon, Palmer Park, or sometimes Powers & Woodmen.

SteveInCO

Well the Mos Eisely Walmart (Platte near Chelton) of course is one where you really do need to pack, if you know what I mean. But I typically go to either Falcon, Palmer Park, or sometimes Powers & Woodmen.

Yeah, I know this is a REALLY old thread. But I thought this update might be interesting to someone.

The friend of mine mentioned above, and I, went shooting at the indoor range, we then went to the Mos Eisley Walmart, so he could do some grocery shopping and I could hopefully get some Champiosquib ammo (the federal aluminum case stuff--it's cheap, but it won't reliably cycle my full size CZ-75). I OCed, he didn't.

We saw two other open carriers! One was a lady with a small single stack something or other in the small of her back (I really can't tell the shield. lc9 and xds apart at a glance, I do know it was purple, so eliminate whichever manufacturers don't make them that way). I told her I approved of her choice of fashion accessories. The other was a guy with a Glock, pretty ordinary.

Dario

That's cool Steve I've just recently stepped into neutral territory myself.

Went to a FedEx in Loveland and a Jax with no issues. The Jax store had an unusual sign about being unloaded in a case (I assumed it meant for repairs or trades). I pretty much ignored it and walked in with my son, grabbed some range ammo, checked out some cool knives and went on our way.

We spent the week camping in Veadawuu campgrounds in Wyoming and I OCd in Laramie at a McDonalds for lunch and a local grocery for the supplies. No negative encounters at all and everyone was polite.

When we got back we hit the king soopers here in Loveland off 14th sw + Taft. Had a positive encounter when a gentleman asked if I had been hassled for it and I said not yet, then he gave me a (I thought unnecessary) "lecture" about how I'm supposed to carry it and finished with saying how it's a good deterrent. I told him since it appears he knows the laws already, and now that he's seen more people normalizing it, maybe it's time for him to take the next step. He walked off with a wispy look in his eyes.

But the icing on our cake is that our new neighbor who just moved in OC's!

Last edited:

nobama

Good for you!! keep it up and you will find all the hearsay is just that.

Dario

Well with regards to the OP (sorry Steve) and since I liked the theme about testing out the waters firstk plus I don't want to start another thread. So I'm just going to keep posting here about my non-eventful OC experiences. And the list is getting longer. Since my last post I've carried at Loveland Laser Tag for 4 hours with a hunnerd munchkins running around with their parents. We had a terrific experience with the smash ball, the laser wall, the rock climbing and all kinds of other fun things. I saw people noticing me but nobody seemed concerned in the least.

Today my son and I went to the Colorado Youth Outdoors ponds where they have a 12 week activity program where you and your kids team up for fishing, archery, and skeet shooting. It's a beautiful private lake area that promotes healthy relationships with your children.
I was a little nervous about the reaction at first, since it's private property but not one person said a thing, even the executive director. They all made me feel welcome.

The more I do it the better I feel about myself and how this simple act can change peoples minds about OC in general, hopefully making it the norm again. And it is such a relief to not be uncomfortable, do the CC shuffle when I get out of the car, and always worrying that somebody is going to find out I'm 'printing' with regards to CC.

Thanks to OCDO for giving me the foundation and special thanks to my neighbor Ryan who just "does it" that got me motivated!

Dario

More non-events to report. Neighbor got a new holster for his glock, found out the little old lady across the street is a pistol packin momma. I had an extra leather cross-draw that fit her lcr357 perfectly. She's new to carry, just got her permission slip. I told her to practice with .38's! That whole pay to carry scheme has her paranoid about OC but I think she might come around.

Found some SOG pants at wally world on clearance for $5. Normally I avoid tacticool gear but figured they may come in handy some day, so I bought two. Held up the line for a bit because the prices were different for what appeared to be the same pants so the gal had to call a manager but nobody complained and nothing negative happened, as usual.

At work I spotted an OC cowboy with a stainless 1911 in Highlands ranch and a pair of OCers at the surplus store in Thornton.

Today some girl said "nice gun I want to go shooting" but I was occupied and she wasn't my type :lol:

Rusty Young Man

More non-events to report. Neighbor got a new holster for his glock, found out the little old lady across the street is a pistol packin momma. I had an extra leather cross-draw that fit her lcr357 perfectly. She's new to carry, just got her permission slip. I told her to practice with .38's! That whole pay to carry scheme has her paranoid about OC but I think she might come around.

Found some SOG pants at wally world on clearance for $5. Normally I avoid tacticool gear but figured they may come in handy some day, so I bought two. Held up the line for a bit because the prices were different for what appeared to be the same pants so the gal had to call a manager but nobody complained and nothing negative happened, as usual.

At work I spotted an OC cowboy with a stainless 1911 in Highlands ranch and a pair of OCers at the surplus store in Thornton.

Today some girl said "nice gun I want to go shooting" but I was occupied and she wasn't my type :lol:

Read your post to my GF. She laughed out loud at the ending.:lol:

Sounds like the neighbor just needs a little more desensitization to OC.:)