• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Went to a Gun Store, Felt Sick

Aknazer

So yesterday I was looking for some info on getting my OK HWL (currently have a UT permit) and went into a gun store to see if they had info on classes. While I was in there I was looking around and the prices made me start to feel a bit sick due to anger at how high they were price gouging. Things like $600 for 500rds of 5.56 or 7.62x39, over $40 for 50rds of 9mm, or base ARs starting at $1900 (most were $2000-2700). While browsing one of the workers tried to strike up a conversation and was stating how they have 300+ ARs in the back and he doesn't understand how everyone else is having issues with supply and bragging about how they supposedly have people from places like North Dakota and other states buying from them. Ignoring that and asking about my actual reason for being there (HWL classes) he told me that they do indeed have classes but even though I am exempt from shooting I would still have to pay the full price and that there is no law limiting it to $30 for the class portion only (couldn't use my cell phone in the store for "their safety and yours" and he had gone to lunch by the time I stepped outside, found the law, and went back in) and that if there was such a law then he didn't know if I would be allowed to take the class if I didn't pay the full $60 price and I would likely still have to go to the shooting portion even if I didn't have to shoot. While another employee stated that he was wrong and I would be able take the class at the $30 rate, the attitude of the first worker really just irked me.

While this is more of a rant than anything, has anyone else experienced similar things with their local gun stores?

gungirl79

So yesterday I was looking for some info on getting my OK HWL (currently have a UT permit) and went into a gun store to see if they had info on classes. While I was in there I was looking around and the prices made me start to feel a bit sick due to anger at how high they were price gouging. Things like $600 for 500rds of 5.56 or 7.62x39, over $40 for 50rds of 9mm, or base ARs starting at $1900 (most were $2000-2700). While browsing one of the workers tried to strike up a conversation and was stating how they have 300+ ARs in the back and he doesn't understand how everyone else is having issues with supply and bragging about how they supposedly have people from places like North Dakota and other states buying from them. Ignoring that and asking about my actual reason for being there (HWL classes) he told me that they do indeed have classes but even though I am exempt from shooting I would still have to pay the full price and that there is no law limiting it to $30 for the class portion only (couldn't use my cell phone in the store for "their safety and yours" and he had gone to lunch by the time I stepped outside, found the law, and went back in) and that if there was such a law then he didn't know if I would be allowed to take the class if I didn't pay the full $60 price and I would likely still have to go to the shooting portion even if I didn't have to shoot. While another employee stated that he was wrong and I would be able take the class at the $30 rate, the attitude of the first worker really just irked me.

While this is more of a rant than anything, has anyone else experienced similar things with their local gun stores?

I haven't heard of any issues from other gun stores...I'm afraid to ask which gun store you were at that they wouldn't even let you use your cell phone....I know a few L.E.O that give the class that you could sign up and also talk to them to get your Oklahoma chl.

Bullbuster

I know EXACTLY which store you are talking about. I'm a former employee of that store. I left as the paychecks are as bad as the prices of the guns (fixed salary= to less than minimum wage). I'm sure I even know the guy you were talking to that didn't have a clue. They started a year ago hording guns and ammo for just such a time.
The shooting portion is a joke and if exempt don't do it unless you want to shoot up 50 rounds. That's one part of the class I'd like to see changed as I saw plenty of people in the class who hit the target 20-30% of the time. No score required or anything so long as you shoot your 50 rounds you pass that part.

If they said you could do it for $30 great because that would be new to me. $65 is what they had always charged no matter what.

As far as the no cell phone lol that's for job security so you can't call other people and compair prices.

Last edited:

Aknazer

That would indeed be the store. And I think the only reason why the second employee (who said he's worked there for 10 years) said that the class would indeed only be $30 is because I walked in with cell phone in hand and stated that I wanted to show the other employee the law that specifically limits them to only $30 for those exempt from shooting.

I mean I knew their prices had been bad since I made the mistake of buying my first handguns there due to just getting back from overseas and not knowing better (not to mention that I also had a bad experience a few weeks after buying the guns with the employee who sold me those guns), but man that level of of price gouging and then trying to rip people off by not following the law is just...sickening to me.

Aknazer

I haven't heard of any issues from other gun stores...I'm afraid to ask which gun store you were at that they wouldn't even let you use your cell phone....I know a few L.E.O that give the class that you could sign up and also talk to them to get your Oklahoma chl.

And I might hit you up on that, though I do have a few business cards of people to call and see if they have space after next week but before May first. That is unless your LEO friends can also do the fingerprinting as that would save me a trip.

gprod55

Kings Pawn

Turn around and head north to Reno just off Sunny Lane east on Reno and go to kings Pawn Shop You will find Plenty of handguns and some rifles at a decent price. The ammo is decently priced also. The people are freindly and go out of their way to help the customer. Much better then the gyp joint you were at. If you still are able to get on base at tinker you might also look at the base exchange as they have a gun department in the back.

Aknazer

https://practicalshooting.net/

While I'm sure there are dozens of good folks out there I've sent many friends and family to practical shooting. I'm really surprised that Gun Store is still in business.

I'll be sure to check it out when I get back in a week. And they're probably still in business because a single sale is probably 10x or more profit than most other places. So for every 10 sales at other places those guys only need to make 1 sale; plus the price gouging means that they have it in stock when people get desperate and are more likely to overpay for something.

sorry , not from OK. what do the initials HWL stand for? do you have to have them to carry?

HWL=Handgun Weapons License (might technically be a HWP for permit, I don't remember). And yes sadly we have to have one in order to carry in Oklahoma. Since it now allows us to OC they changed it from a CWL (for concealed) to the HWL. Note that it doesn't allow us to carry anything larger than a .45 caliber PISTOL (so no long guns and none of the other banned carry items like certain knives).

Turn around and head north to Reno just off Sunny Lane east on Reno and go to kings Pawn Shop You will find Plenty of handguns and some rifles at a decent price. The ammo is decently priced also. The people are freindly and go out of their way to help the customer. Much better then the gyp joint you were at. If you still are able to get on base at tinker you might also look at the base exchange as they have a gun department in the back.

The military has me until 2016 (and likely until 2024) so I regularly check out the BX. Though right now they can't really keep ammo on the shelves (anything I'd be interested in is typically sold out before lunch time) and they can't special order guns (looking for a KelTec RFB 24" barrel but on the few occasions I've found them they're like 2500-3000 when the MSRP is ~1800) so I'm kinda SOL on base atm. Luckily I have a good bit of ammo stockpiled from before I deployed so I can afford to wait awhile until I find ammo in the $13-17 for 9mm and .40cal.

And I'll have to check out Kings Pawn. Is that the place that I've heard about that also has a military/LE section and sells stuff like ghili suits and other stormtrooper gear that's always fun to go look at?

Glock 1st fan

Only dealt with Kings Pawn once at a gun show and will say they highly impressed me. Went above and beyond anything I ever expected!!!!

gprod55

Military Surplus Store

There is a Brigadoons Military Surplus Store across the street from Del City High School that also carries ammo and other military surplus supplies. You might want to check them out. Their on Sunny Lane. The people there are also very friendly and will help you in any way they can. Although you can't open carry in their store they do allow concealed carry.

Aknazer

There is a Brigadoons Military Surplus Store across the street from Del City High School that also carries ammo and other military surplus supplies. You might want to check them out. Their on Sunny Lane. The people there are also very friendly and will help you in any way they can. Although you can't open carry in their store they do allow concealed carry.

That's my issue with Brigadoon's, they don't allow OC. I talked with them about it back in March of last year and they said that they weren't going to allow OC because they don't want yahoos drawing and comparing their OCed guns. They had no answer when I asked them why that doesn't happen with people who CC and both know each other are CCing and then they changed their response to "it's an insurance thing that doesn't allow it." It's also why I didn't fly a flag for them while in the desert.

Bill Humphries

Sorry to hear about your experience. I am an OSBI certified instructor. The state allows 8 reasons for exemption from the shooting portion and the state sets the price of $30 for students who are exempt from the shooting portion. In the few cases where I've had a student who qualified for the exemption, they wanted to shoot anyway and I allowed them to do so without paying for it. I'd be happy to have you in my class. information at www.concealedcarrycoweta.weebly.com Hope this helps. Copied below is the state statute referencing the exemptions.

TITLE 21 § 1290.15 PERSONS EXEMPT FROM TRAINING COURSE
A. The following individuals may be exempt from all or part of the required training and qualification course
established pursuant to the provisions of Section 1290.14 of this title:
1. A firearms instructor registered with the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation for purposes of the
Oklahoma Self-Defense Act;
2. An active duty law enforcement officer of this state or any of its political subdivisions or of the federal
government;
3. A retired law enforcement officer authorized by this state pursuant to Section 1289.8 of this title to carry a
firearm;
4. A CLEET-certified armed security officer, armed guard, correctional officer, or any other person having a
CLEET certification to carry a firearm in the course of their employment;
5. A person on active military duty, National Guard duty or regular military reserve duty who is a legal
resident of this state and who is trained and qualified in the use of handguns;12
6. A person honorably discharged from active military duty, National Guard duty or military reserves within
twenty (20) years preceding the date of the application for a handgun license pursuant to the provisions
of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, who is a legal resident of this state, and who has been trained and
qualified in the use of handguns;
7. A person retired as a peace officer in good standing from a law enforcement agency located in another
state, who is a legal resident of this state, and who has received training equivalent to the training
required for CLEET certification in this state; and
8. Any person who is otherwise deemed qualified for a training exemption by CLEET.
Provided, however, persons applying for an exemption pursuant to paragraph 3, 4, 5, 6 or 7 of this subsection may be
required to successfully complete the classroom portion of the training course. The classroom portion of the training course
shall not exceed a fee of Thirty Dollars ($30.00).

Charles Watts

Well I cant help you with the class, but I am an FFL and if you have something specific you are looking for, and are not wanting it tomorrow, then shoot me a message and I will see what I can find. Also, if you just need transfers I give a discount to current OKOCA Members or military.

Operator_223

I was in that store the other day.

I was just in that store the other day in Hell City and I too was just passing through town completing a job assignment on the way back home. Yes. I can absolutely confirm the previous posters comments on the outrageous gouge pricing. They were selling a 50 round silver box of winchester super x .22 lr for 28 dollars and a winchester 555 box of .22 lr for $189.00

a case of 5.56 federal XM193 had a sticker price of 1,300 on it.

When I got done with my accessory shopping, I had several items in hand, I saw the ammo prices I just put down all my selections on the counter and walked straight out the door without saying a word. total complete ripoff prices on everything.

OC for ME

How on earth can the kids feel safe with folks packing heat right across the street?:rolleyes:

The Dove

wtf

I never knew Tinker had a weapon/gun store near or in the rear of the BX??????? How do you get to it? Go through the BX? is it another building altogether???? Thanks for the info.......

I guess I need to get out of the Class 6 more often.......

The Dove