• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

West Hartford Permit Application Review

electrician

I could not find any recent reviews of the West Hartford permit application process so I decided to post this to help anyone applying in the future. On April 21 I attempted to hand in my application at the West Hartford Police Department without scheduling an interview and was denied. That same day I called the Assistant Chief of Police to schedule the interview they wanted and was told the next opening would be May 5th at 9am, exactly two weeks later. I showed up today at 8:45am and found myself waiting with two other people who had meetings with the assistant chief. They scheduled us 15 min apart and I was taken on time at 9am, the others were before me. The Assistant Chief of Police Robert McCue did my interview and was a pleasure to meet with. He simply checked my paperwork and informed me of some laws. He told me I would recieve my temporary permit in 6-8 weeks. When my interview was finished me and the other two people were brought by a detective who's name I did not catch for fingerprinting. We submitted our paperwork and payment of $77 to him and he took our fingerprints, photos, eye color, and asked where we were employed. The detective seemed pretty unhappy throughout the process and finished by telling us we would get our temporary permits after 3.5-4 months.

At no time was I asked for any additional paperwork or even why I wanted the permit.

I will post an update when I receive the permit or at the 8 week mark at which point I plan to start the appeal process.

countryclubjoe

How do you feel having to wait 3/4 months for the " privilege" to protect yourself and you're family?..

Again, just in my humble opinion, another example of how local government agency's are slowly erasing our right to keep and bear arms and issuing a paper privilege at a cost of 77$ in Connecticut, and a waiting period of 3/4 months.. Prices and time frames may vary in other States however the erasing of our right for a government issued privilege remains the same..

Why do you feel that the chief of police or any of his/her minions ( public servants) should have the authority to deny you the right to keep and bear arms for 3/4 months, while criminals and folks that wish to do you ill will, are roaming the streets of West Hartford unimpeded?..

Regards
CCJ

OP, welcome to OCDO.. Please excuse my rant, however we need to consider, why we are putting our safety and families safety in the hands of strangers.. While waiting for a mere privilege..

Last edited:

electrician

I was very unhappy to hear the detective say 3-4 months especially because he said it might take him a few weeks to issue the permits after he receives background checks back because he has been busy.

electrician

update

5 weeks and 3 days have passed since I submitted my application to the West Hartford Police Department. Today I called the state records department. I found the number posted in another forum. The number I called was 860-685-8480. I spoke to Jane who was able to tell me that my records were received by the state and the fbi on 5/19. This means the department sat on my application for 14 days before sending anything out. Jane told me they should be returning the check within a week or two. I plan on calling one week from today to check the status again.

Last edited:

electrician

I called again

I called again yesterday and spoke with a very helpful lady named Sandy. She told me that my prints had just been entered today and would be another few weeks before they are returned to West Hartford PD. I plan on calling back next Monday 6/26 to see if the background check has been returned to West Hartford PD yet. The 8 week mark is next Friday 6/30 I plan to call West Hartford PD and ask why it has taken 8 weeks and then mailing an appeal letter in to the BFPE.

countryclubjoe

I called again yesterday and spoke with a very helpful lady named Sandy. She told me that my prints had just been entered today and would be another few weeks before they are returned to West Hartford PD. I plan on calling back next Monday 6/26 to see if the background check has been returned to West Hartford PD yet. The 8 week mark is next Friday 6/30 I plan to call West Hartford PD and ask why it has taken 8 weeks and then mailing an appeal letter in to the BFPE.

And, how are you protecting, yourself and family, while that nice paid with tax payer money( Sandy) and her tyrannical bosses are leaving you, vulnerable to criminals that wish to do you ill will..?

Are you a sheep or a Patriot? Do you surrender your families health and well being, to some 12$ an hour clerk?..

Go armed, or get slaughtered..

My .02
CCJ

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
And, how are you protecting, yourself and family, while that nice paid with tax payer money( Sandy) and her tyrannical bosses are leaving you, vulnerable to criminals that wish to do you ill will..?

Are you a sheep or a Patriot? Do you surrender your families health and well being, to some 12$ an hour clerk?..

My .02
CCJ

You appear to be in violation of Rule 15 in that you are suggesting that the poster violate the existing law in his jurisdiction.

(15) WE ADVOCATE FOR THE 'LAW-ABIDING' ONLY: Posts advocating illegal acts of any kind are NOT welcome here. Even if you feel that a law is unconstitutional we do not break it, we repeal it or defeat it in the courts.

electrician

Sandy is just doing her job

My .02
CCJ

Sandy is just doing her job and she is doing it well. She went out of her way to look up and tell me where i was in their system in stead of just telling me the date they received my prints. The problem here is West Hartford stalling two weeks from the day i called submitting the application to the day i was finger printed. Then another two weeks from the day I was finger printed to the day they prints were sent to the state. Another problem would be the month long backlog i waited in until my prints were entered into the system. I am not sure what your reference to surrendering to a 12$ an hour clerk but Sandy was of great help.

electrician

background check is complete

today i called the same number and spoke with rebecca. She told me that my background check was returned to the police department on June 22. Today I called the police department and spoke to the detective on duty. He told me it would be ready soon. :( I do not believe that I assume they will sit on my permit till longer than this Friday which marks the 8 week mark. I plan on appealing.

They waited two weeks to send in prints after taking them. The state mandates that it be sent within five business days. They are mandated by the state to notify me of a decision within one week of receiving the check. Hopefully they will not go past the state mandated 8 week mark this Friday. I expect they will based on their track record.

Also the lady in records thought there was a 16 week wait mandated by the state...

electrician

More Delays

I attempted to call the assistant chief I interviewed with, his secretary, and the detective who took my prints. No one answered. I left voicemail on the detective's phone and the assistant chief's phone. I also spoke to the records department again and the lady told me it normally takes much longer due to "high demand". I called before submitting my application to set up the interview West Hartford does for fingerprinting and was told in two weeks was the next date I could come in. Only two other people were there with me so It does not seem to be in very high demand.

electrician

Submitted my appeal

after going down to the PD today I mailed my appeal in. I had been given no real answer other than "it takes at least 3 months" and they are probably waiting for the FBI check to come back"

DeSchaine

When I read things like this, it's hard for me to believe that that whole area of the country was the birthplace of America, the notions of true freedom and liberty, and of small unobtrusive government.

countryclubjoe

We must remember the second amendment of the United States Constitution is our license and permit.

My .02
CCJ

DeSchaine

Thats a fine notion, but it doesn't help when the tyrants have more and better weapons, and the majority of the people are sheep.

countryclubjoe

Any license requirement or permit fee, is in-fact a TAX. Call it what you like.. If it looks like a tax, and takes money out of our pocket like a tax, I propose it must be a tax.

Murdock v Pa (1943) " States do not have the power to license or tax, a right guaranteed to the people"..

My .02
CCJ

electrician

Finally got my permit

I received my temp permit letter in the mail on 7/10 then proceeded to pick up my temp permit and get my state permit immediately after. It took exactly 9 weeks 4 days to receive my pistol permit in West Hartford. I did submit an appeal on week 8 after being told it would likely take another month, I am not sure if this had anything to do with it.