• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What are you going as for halloween?

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

Tomahawk,

Probably like this one:

http://arms2armor.com/store/flintlock-ss4.html

...scroll down to the last musket shown, the "Indian Trade Musket."

Actually, the enlarged picture of it (it's a huge picture) shows quality worksmanship on this Pedersoli"trade" musket...of course for $915.00I would hope so...but I suspect thatthe original Trade Muskets were pretty rough.

-- John D.

Tomahawk

imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
Tomahawk,

Probably like this one:

http://arms2armor.com/store/flintlock-ss4.html

...scroll down to the last musket shown, the "Indian Trade Musket."

Actually, the enlarged picture of it (it's a huge picture) shows quality worksmanship on this Pedersoli"trade" musket...of course for $915.00I would hope so...but I suspect thatthe original Trade Muskets were pretty rough.

-- John D.

S.282.jpg

Could be it, although the ad says it is typical of the late 1700's, and the ambush in the movie takes place in 1757, so maybe, maybe not. (That ambush, BTW, really happened, although Magua is a fictional character). It's also possible that Magua had access to various French muskets or even Brown Besses taken from fallen redcoats.

TrueBrit

imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
TrueBrit,

I don't believe the New England colonists of Massachussettswere shouting,"The British are coming!" After all, THEY were also British at the time.

;)

They probably said, "The Redcoats are coming!" Or something lesscomplimentary suchas, "The Lobsterbacks are coming!"

As for muskets, Isure would like tohave a Brown Bess (1742 model, French & Indian War), Brown Bess (1756 model, American Revolutionary War), a 1763 Charleville (also Revolutionary War) and a French 1801 (Napoleonic Wars)...unfortunately, at about $1200 per gun, they're a bit too pricey for me.

Well, that's only about $5,000 or so...at least any Halloween costumes would be pretty authentic with these "props," wouldn't they! Oops, I forgot: The bayonets are extra and ALSO are pretty pricey...and I don't evenwant to think about quality uniforms and accouterments, too.

I can't believe such a mechanically SIMPLE gun is so damn expensive (a grand or more)....even the $500-bracket ones look rather poorly made...how hard can it be to make (mass-produce) a quality but very simple lock/stock and barrel?

But seriously, if times were such and a flintlock were all you had, you could keep it fed and firing as long as you had powder (which you can make yourself if necessary), lead (you can cast your own balls and buckshot) and flints (and flints you could find, unlike percussions caps). Besides, just about ANY gun will get you another one (should you need to "trade up" in times of crisis, if you will, such as trading up from a musket to the latest military "assault rifle")...so even a musket will do that for you.

Well, I should at least start with getting ONE of them.

-- John D.

Cloud, I am sure that you are correct in what you say in your first couple of paragraphs! I have heard it suggested that the cry was, "The Regulars are coming"

I just stick with the traditional, although undoubtedly incorrect, version, for obvious reasons!

Great to see that you and the Wild Man from N. Va are giving serious consideration to the project of aquiring flintlocks. Much fun!

Best wishes,

TrueBrit.

Particle

imported post

I was going to be a mall ninja, but I didn't have nearly enough stuff to pull off the look. :(

Tomahawk

imported post

TrueBrit wrote:
Great to see that you and the Wild Man from N. Va are giving serious consideration to the project of aquiring flintlocks. Much fun!

Best wishes,

TrueBrit.

Actually, my dad, brother, and sister-in-law have been fascinated with weapons of that era for some time, but none of us has scraped up the cash for a Bess or a Charleville copy yet. I'm the only one who does any shooting these days, so it looks like I'm it.

Want I really want is to find a good long rifle maker and have a custom Pennsylvania long rifle made. Something special and unique that we can keep in the family as well as use it for game or other purposes.

tarzan1888

imported post

expvideo wrote:
You mean like this? (me last year, stopping by the store after taking my little brother trick or treating).

IMG00082.jpg

If you were a little older and better looking, you could have been my twin. :what:

Man it looks like we have been shopping at the same store.

Tarzan