• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What do you carry?

Silvertongue

20131008_000801_1.jpg

Springfield XDm 4.5 9mm in a Safariland ALS 6378 paddle (that's in the car)
Colt Desert Karambit
Cheapo flashlight from a local Big Daddy's
CRKT M16-14ZER
One spare mag in the thigh pocket of my pants and three (or four) in my backpack, either in the car or under my desk at school*
Gum
Maxpedition CPL-1 for that wonderful Samsung Galaxy S3 that I love so much

*No, I am not able to legally carry at school. However, I figure the least I can do is make any bad guy who steals my gun have to go and find ammo and magazines. Good luck, right?

Wulf190

I have 3 I like to carry and 2 I carry 90% of the time

1911 Springfield lw champion operator
Xds 45
Fmk 9 mm

I also carry my full size mil spec Springfield 1911 on special occasions so nice to be open carry in MS now
Been well received by the public

Sorry no pic fmk !

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 130

JustaShooter

I have 3 I like to carry and 2 I carry 90% of the time

1911 Springfield lw champion operator
Xds 45
Fmk 9 mm

I also carry my full size mil spec Springfield 1911 on special occasions so nice to be open carry in MS now
Been well received by the public

Sorry no pic fmk !

I see you like the Pearce grip extensions on the XDs, as do I. BTW, have you sent your XDs in for the recall or was it not affected?

Wulf190

I do like the grip extension have it on both mags pistol just doesn't feel the same w/o them I have really enjoyed the xds and I am going to have to send off for recall Lordy I have been around and owned guns most of my life a recall just seems crazy I guess with all the new designs and competion to get new models out bound to happen ! Just seems strange to have one recalled guess the good old days are over lol

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...have you sent your XDs in for the recall or was it not affected?

I believe all XD-S guns in existence are affected. They did not yet sell any outside of the affected serial number range. In fact, they have not yet definitely fixed the issue, though they claim they are confident it will be very soon.

JustaShooter

I believe all XD-S guns in existence are affected. They did not yet sell any outside of the affected serial number range. In fact, they have not yet definitely fixed the issue, though they claim they are confident it will be very soon.

Yeah, I knew they hadn't yet fixed the issue, but are double-plus almost certain they have it licked. :rolleyes:

However, I didn't know there were no XDs that were not affected, I just figured they had implemented a design change that addressed the problem for new production but hadn't figured out how to retrofit it to existing guns.

mobiushky

I do like the grip extension have it on both mags pistol just doesn't feel the same w/o them I have really enjoyed the xds and I am going to have to send off for recall Lordy I have been around and owned guns most of my life a recall just seems crazy I guess with all the new designs and competion to get new models out bound to happen ! Just seems strange to have one recalled guess the good old days are over lol

I wonder how much is the "rush" to get guns out and how much is attributable to the adage "Fool proof assumes a finite number of fools"? So in other words, the company can plan for almost every idiot, but not EVERY idiot. And some idiot found a way to shoot himself while obviously breaking one or more of the rules for handling firearms? Maybe not, but seems like recalls are more aimed at fixing a problem that most reasonable people will never encounter. Maybe that's just me.

JustaShooter

seems like recalls are more aimed at fixing a problem that most reasonable people will never encounter.

This particular recall is pretty serious and has nothing to do with how reasonable one may or may not be. The gun can discharge when chambering a round and can double (or more) when you pull the trigger. :shocker:

Yes, following the rules of safe firearm handling can ensure that the consequences of the defect are minimal, but it is still a very serious defect and absolutely deserving of a recall.

mobiushky

This particular recall is pretty serious and has nothing to do with how reasonable one may or may not be. The gun can discharge when chambering a round and can double (or more) when you pull the trigger. :shocker:

Yes, following the rules of safe firearm handling can ensure that the consequences of the defect are minimal, but it is still a very serious defect and absolutely deserving of a recall.

Not arguing at all. Call it engineers curiosity. I wonder what the conditions have to be in order for that to happen? I know that Springfield has said that is the issue, but what circumstances create the issue? If it's random and has no special circumstances, then has yours? Can you replicate it? If so, yeah, not a good thing. (Again, just curious, not accusing) Or is it something where a certain set of conditions had to be met before it could happen? Like you have to be standing on your head and holding the gun upside down and then you have to have a bar holding the trigger while you rack the gun with your feet. That was obviously exaggeration for humorous affect, but you know what I mean? If it takes some unusual thing to occur first, it's because someone did that.

Anyway, I'm not arguing with you or disagreeing or anything. I'm an engineer and these types of things kick in my left brain. Sorry to bother.

JustaShooter

Not arguing at all. Call it engineers curiosity. I wonder what the conditions have to be in order for that to happen? I know that Springfield has said that is the issue, but what circumstances create the issue?

That is a really good question that to the best of my knowledge has not been answered. I took the approach that it could be caused by a build up of tolerances in various parts, a bit of wear in the wrong place, or a bit of crud built up in the wrong place so other than a single short range session to attempt to duplicate the issue I stopped using mine and sent it in for the recall.

If it's random and has no special circumstances, then has yours? Can you replicate it?

My XDs never exhibited the issue. I've put something in the neighborhood of 1,000 rounds down range through mine (less than 100 after the recall was announced) and never had it happen. I did take it to the range after the recall and while keeping the muzzle safely pointed downrange repeatedly chambered rounds to see if I could make it happen, but it did not.

If so, yeah, not a good thing. (Again, just curious, not accusing) Or is it something where a certain set of conditions had to be met before it could happen? Like you have to be standing on your head and holding the gun upside down and then you have to have a bar holding the trigger while you rack the gun with your feet. That was obviously exaggeration for humorous affect, but you know what I mean? If it takes some unusual thing to occur first, it's because someone did that.

From the posts I've seen from folks that have had it happen, it did not take any special circumstances to trigger it (none that were immediately obvious that is) and at least one person actually had a video of a double fire event and as far as I could tell he simply pressed the trigger.

Anyway, I'm not arguing with you or disagreeing or anything. I'm an engineer and these types of things kick in my left brain. Sorry to bother.

No bother, sorry if it appeared that I took your post wrong. I wanted to make sure you understood the severity of this particular issue - certainly, some recalls are to keep stupid people from becoming statistics but this one is not that type at all, at least not in my opinion.

mobiushky

From the posts I've seen from folks that have had it happen, it did not take any special circumstances to trigger it (none that were immediately obvious that is) and at least one person actually had a video of a double fire event and as far as I could tell he simply pressed the trigger.

This being the case, it may well be a luck of the draw thing. Some of them had the looser tolerance in just the right place.

BTW, I'd generally always recommend sending things in for a recall even if the cause was because someone is stupid. If for no other reason than you usually end up with a new part or a fix that costs you nothing. Assuming of course it doesn't make your item worse or more difficult to use. In this case, it doesn't seem like an intrusive fix.

Oh, and btw, you did not come across argumentative at all. I was afraid I did. My mind is a very technical mind that often does not think through how I say things and how they will be taken. My wife accuses me of constantly saying things the wrong way. She's learned to interpret me, but I can come across wrong constantly to people. I was trying to prevent that. LOL.

LOL, I just noticed one of the ways.. I don't usually use conjunctions. In technical writing it's a no-no. So I end up having to go back and edit my posts to use them so I don't sound demanding. I miss some. There is a big difference between saying "you don't" and "you do not." LOL.

Last edited:

exelci

Usp .45c with 230gr Gold Dot's on a blackhawk cqc with carbon fiber finish. 3 oclock position-condition2-ready for danger, 1 extra mag on the pocket.

Last edited:

7om5hipp

2013-10-08 19.00.26.jpg

I carry a Nagant, if it was good enough for war it is good enough for defense. Also carry a simple folding knife, sharpie, and pen. True ninja can use anything for weapons....Wish I was one. Lol.

BrianB

Concealed: Glock 23
Open: Glock 35

Once in blue moon, if I need a really tiny gun for some reason I'll carry my Diamondback DB380 or my NAA .22 Mag micro revolver (but I definitely do not prefer them).

Bahabandit

What I Carry

My Open Carry is a FN FNX-45 in a Crossbreed Super Tuck and my concealed is a Taurus Judge Public Defender in a custom leather holster. 99.9 percent of the time I OC.