• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What do you say?

Superlite27

What do you say when someone asks why you're OC.
Looking for straight up answers and witty comebacks.

I tell people that many people OC for a wide variety of reasons.

1) Because I am a lawfully armed citizen and refuse to be frightened into voluntarily sacrificing my lawful right by a populace of ignorant sheep who wish for me to join the herd.

2) Because I am a proponent of the 2nd Amendment and realize the hiding my firearm under clothing only serves to lower the visibility of the issue. (I like to use their question as an example: "If I hadn't been openly carrying, would you still have asked me about my support of the 2nd Amendment?".)

3) Because if people don't exercise their rights, what's the point of having them in the first place?

These are just a few of many.

What I avoid like the plague is replying with smarmy, wise-ass remarks.

A person inquiring about OC is most likely not informed about the issue, curious, or possibly thinking about working up the courage to try it themselves in the future.

Why would anyone wishing to promote the 2nd Amendment teach people asking about it that folks who carry guns are all smart mouthed a**h*les?

As a very visible representative of the firearms community, I go out of my way to always be polite and treat every question as an opportunity to sway people to my side, not alienate them by being a jerk.

Last edited:

mjcromp

I take OC just like wearing a company shirt or driving company vehicle. I am a representative of the 2nd. I'm not looking for really smarta$$ comments but I know people get kinda funny and sometimes a witty remark will disarm some people.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
It's a deterrent, it's easier, and the way I dress (tucked in polo type shirts) where would I conceal a Govt 1911? I take responsibility for the safety of myself, and my family when present.

Last edited:

eye95

Personal protection.

If they enquire further, I know they are genuinely interested and not an anti looking for an opening to go all judgmental on my ass.

But, honestly, I never get that question. It's almost always, "Are you a cop?"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

MyWifeSaidYes

eye95 said:
...But, honestly, I never get that question. It's almost always, "Are you a cop?"

Since I look very little like a cop, I usually get "Are you law enforcement?" or "Are you security?"

To that, I answer, "No. Just an armed citizen."

Then I either get a chance to educate :D, or asked to leave :cry:.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
"I need it to compensate for the fact that I lean over to the other side without it."

Used that once with a family of tourists from Jersey. They laughed. We had a 30+ minute conversation about handguns, OC, the Second Amendment, personal responsibility, and best ways to get from where we were to the big tourist trap they were wanting to go to. They took pictures to show their friends/neighbors back home. They took pictures with us (a group of OCers) to show their friends/neighbors that we did not just shoot them down (literally or figuratively).

stay safe.

hermannr

I OC for the deturant effect. I really do not want a confrontation...let those that would do you harm go find someone that is not visibly armed. Works for me and has for 43 years.

davidmcbeth

Banned
How about:

"Whats that? Did you state an interest in grabbing my gun?"

or

"I think I'm legally required to carry one"

or

"Jesus told me to"

or

"Where are your nuclear vessels?"

or

"I have a red pencil box"

or

"I'm a movie star"

or

"I'm a superstar"

or

"Where is the pharmacy, I need my meds reeeal bad"

or

"I must be lost, and in China"

or

"oh look, a person that values human life"

JoeSparky

Centurion
I've used "Because a COP is too heavy!"

But, usually I answer with "Because it is my right to be able to protect myself and my family/friends!"

I have thought about "Don't you worry about PROTECTION?"

Last edited:

3FULLMAGS+1

Really depends on how the person inquires (or reacts) about the weapon on my side. I've used the "in case I have to give somebody a quick lesson in why crime doesn't pay", or "because I don't plan on loosing in a fist fight".....I didn't come up with these or the few others I'll use on occasion, but whatever line or comment I'll use I'll ALWAYS say it in some sort of jokingly manner, sometimes laughing at the comment myself, and IF, like others here have mentioned, the conversation lends itself, I'll get into why I really carry. One linners, for me, tend to lead to further conversation and in turn more education. Oh, ya, I forgot, why do I carry a gun? "in case some punk out there's feelin' lucky! Just my $.02.

Silvertongue

Really depends on how the person inquires (or reacts) about the weapon on my side. I've used the "in case I have to give somebody a quick lesson in why crime doesn't pay", or "because I don't plan on loosing in a fist fight".....I didn't come up with these or the few others I'll use on occasion, but whatever line or comment I'll use I'll ALWAYS say it in some sort of jokingly manner, sometimes laughing at the comment myself, and IF, like others here have mentioned, the conversation lends itself, I'll get into why I really carry. One linners, for me, tend to lead to further conversation and in turn more education. Oh, ya, I forgot, why do I carry a gun? "in case some punk out there's feelin' lucky! Just my $.02.

It makes bullets go REALLY fast.

or.

-looks confused and slowly moves my eyes down to my hip- Oh my! How'd that get there?