• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What problem does open carry solve?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I have a traditional/old world view or take on arms. An arm must be purpose built and used in warfare atleast once in history. Sword, Dirk, Certain Knives, Muskets, Sabres, Dagger, Modern Firearms, Flails, Medieval Mace, Warhammer, Spear, Bow, etc.

I still do not consider defense spray, Tasers, Stun Guns anything but a defense device.

Arms are strictly lethal for the most part. Defense devices not so much.
It is not the tool that defines whether it be defensive or offensive, but rather the use to which it is put by the person employing it.

Criminals have used the three less lethal tools you mentioned in an offensive fashion - jus' sayin'.

OC for ME

Preemptive self-defense is not...obviously, a offensive event...no? Tool used? Applicability? A LG can not ever be a defensive weapon now...can it.

Ezek

why aren't we discussing the fact we can't openly carry an actual mace!? I mean think of the openly carrying of a mace and how it could prevent crime just by appearance alone..

on a side note.. I actually have openly carried a real mace... at renfest..

PATRIOT88

Banned
I think some have a one track mind or didn't pay attention to the fact I capitalized Mace, meaning MACE, as shown here.

Problem with a medieval Mace is its too bulky and dangerous for modern apparel. Noone wears chain mail/hardened leather/plate armor bottoms anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I think some have a one track mind or didn't pay attention to the fact I capitalized Mace, meaning MACE, as shown here.

Problem with a medieval Mace is its too bulky and dangerous for modern apparel. Noone wears chain mail/hardened leather/plate armor bottoms anymore.

Excuse please, but protective vests and leg protection are available along with sundry other items. Primarily used by LE in specific situations.

As a practical matter, none of these are worn by LAC as they go about their normal daily routines.

Freedom1Man

It would justify greater self-defense action in my opinion.

I was openly carrying my pistol when that, now corpse, attacked me. I was in fear for my life as he/it/she must have been trying to kill me.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

PATRIOT88

Banned
Excuse please, but protective vests and leg protection are available along with sundry other items. Primarily used by LE in specific situations.

As a practical matter, none of these are worn by LAC as they go about their normal daily routines.

Different materials and modern at that, Grapeshot. My statement still applies in its accuracy. Noone, in the 21st century, armed or not, wears Gambesons, 14th century plate armor, chainmail or hardened leather armor in everyday life. Not counting ren fairs and SCA.

There are more effective armor these days for the threats present. While Gambesons did effectively stop missiles (historically accurate term for arrows), finding authentic gambesons these days are difficult. It is easier to purchase and wear a combination ballistic/stab resistant vest than it would be trying to find a gambeson.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
ot
Different materials and modern at that, Grapeshot. My statement still applies in its accuracy. Noone, in the 21st century, armed or not, wears Gambesons, 14th century plate armor, chainmail or hardened leather armor in everyday life. Not counting ren fairs and SCA.

There are more effective armor these days for the threats present. While Gambesons did effectively stop missiles (historically accurate term for arrows), finding authentic gambesons these days are difficult. It is easier to purchase and wear a combination ballistic/stab resistant vest than it would be trying to find a gambeson.

Sounds hauntingly like the argument/statement that no one wears/carries a gun like that - the modern versions weren't made back then, are very different, and just are not comparable. Jus' sayin'.

Ezek

well... IMO with technological advancements and such we should have freakin ironman suits already!

and I SO would wear one of those every day.