• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What REALLY Makes a State Good For Self-Defense & Carry

vermonter

When I determine what makes a state good for gun owners I consider the follow to be the MOST important points. I don't care about machine gun ownership - It is more important that I am able to defend myself legally wherever I have a right to be.
1) Stand Your Ground Law: Right to defense ANYWHERE you have a right to be.
2) No Gun's Signs: States where No GUNS signs have no weight of law.
3) Off Limits: States with the least places off limits
4) Open Carry: States where OC is at least an option and not like the Texas total ban
5) Police Authority: States where officers are not allowed by statute to disarm and where you do not have to notify.
6) Permits GFSZA: A permit option in place to exempt you from school zones. to me VT is one of the worst states.

MilProGuy

When I determine what makes a state good for gun owners I consider the follow to be the MOST important points. I don't care about machine gun ownership - It is more important that I am able to defend myself legally wherever I have a right to be.
1) Stand Your Ground Law: Right to defense ANYWHERE you have a right to be.
2) No Gun's Signs: States where No GUNS signs have no weight of law.
3) Off Limits: States with the least places off limits
4) Open Carry: States where OC is at least an option and not like the Texas total ban
5) Police Authority: States where officers are not allowed by statute to disarm and where you do not have to notify.
6) Permits GFSZA: A permit option in place to exempt you from school zones. to me VT is one of the worst states.

If you discover that state, then please let us know, and...good luck!

Daylen

If police have the authority to detain you they will have the authority to disarm you.

09jisaac

If you discover that state, then please let us know, and...good luck!

Kentucky

1: 503.080(3) A person does not have a duty to retreat if the person is in a place where he or she has a right to be.

2: I don't know how to cite this

3: I don't know how to cite this either. KY law just outlaws the conceal carry mostly.

4: Oc without a permit

5:237.104(2) No person, unit of government, or governmental organization shall, during a period of disaster or emergency as specified in KRS Chapter 39A orat any other time,
take, seize, confiscate, or impound a firearm, firearm part, ammunition, ammunition component, or any deadly weapon or dangerous instrument from any person. Also, we don't have to tell a LEO we are carrying.

6: Don't know where to cite this either.

Edited most of this in.

Last edited:

Daylen

Kentucky

1: 503.080(3) A person does not have a duty to retreat if the person is in a place where he or she has a right to be.

2: I don't know how to cite this

3: I don't know how to cite this either. KY law just outlaws the conceal carry mostly.

4: Oc without a permit

5:237.104(2) No person, unit of government, or governmental organization shall, during a period of disaster or emergency as specified in KRS Chapter 39A orat any other time,
take, seize, confiscate, or impound a firearm, firearm part, ammunition, ammunition component, or any deadly weapon or dangerous instrument from any person. Also, we don't have to tell a LEO we are carrying.

6: Don't know where to cite this either.

Edited most of this in.

I think you are leaving another critical law out. Otherwise a person that is arrested would be able to keep his firearm even when in jail. Somehow I don't think police put armed people in jail, I'd bet they take the weapons first.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Some states also have a castle law that doesn't allow a legal defensive shooting to be second-guessed in civil court. That's one for your list.

09jisaac

I think you are leaving another critical law out. Otherwise a person that is arrested would be able to keep his firearm even when in jail. Somehow I don't think police put armed people in jail, I'd bet they take the weapons first.

I linked the sources there. If you click the hyperlinked numbers it will take you to the law. I shouldn't have to post the whole KRS where you all would have to scroll through pages to get to the comment under me. I assumed that OP meant that LEO can't disarm LAC, that was the law I cited.

Last edited:

09jisaac

Some states also have a castle law that doesn't allow a legal defensive shooting to be second-guessed in civil court. That's one for your list.

Stand your ground laws are usually better than castle laws. If you have the legal right to be their then you have the legal right to defend it, this should include your home.

: ) Kentucky has that too. It even goes on to include tents in the definition. HERE

After looking for the definition for dwelling I have found 3 places that the stand your ground law is.

Here
Here
Here

I guess that meant something to them.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Stand your ground laws are usually better than castle laws. If you have the legal right to be their then you have the legal right to defend it, this should include your home....

I'm not disputing that; I should clarify.

Immunity from civil litigation is a further step than either. We have what is known as "castle lite." A higher castle law further gives immunity from being sued even when you cannot be charged with a crime. My state's castle lite laws do include stand-your-ground at (actually: "no duty to retreat" from) any place you have a legal right to be.

My state has stand-your-ground laws against criminal prosecution, but not civil immunity YET. We are working on it, though.

Last edited:

09jisaac

I'm not disputing that; I should clarify.

Immunity from civil litigation is a further step than either. We have what is known as "castle lite." A higher castle law further gives immunity from being sued even when you cannot be charged with a crime. My state's castle lite laws do include stand-your-ground at (actually: "no duty to retreat" from) any place you have a legal right to be.

My state has stand-your-ground laws against criminal prosecution, but not civil immunity YET. We are working on it, though.

This?