• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What would you have done?

tattedupboy

imported post

About half an hour ago I was standing in line at the grocery store waiting to pay for my purchase when a guy walked in wearing a winter skull cap pulled down so low that it was difficult to see his eyes, as well as a hooded sweatshirt. What is unusual about that is the fact that the temperature here is in the mid 90s. Now, understand that I was not carrying openly (here in Gary, open carry by anyone other than security or law enforcement personnel is frowned upon big time, trust me, I know), but I do have a concealed carry permit and on this occasion, I was carrying my gun in a SmartCarry holster. When I saw this fellow stand right behind me in line, I inconspicuously pulled the butt of my gun up to make it more accessible in case something happened. Nothing happened, and I paid for my groceries and left.

I guess what I'm thinking about is how the outcome would have been different had I been carrying openly? How would all of you have responded? I have seen my share of shady looking people in this town, but never anything quite like this so close to me. How would any of you have handled this situation, whether carrying openly or concealed?

ijusam

imported post

As much as i dislike waiting in line, I wouldn't have someone that sends my alarms ringing standing behind me. I would have to exit the line for "the item I forgot"

Although the first lesson in a gunfight is to bring one, I would think even before that would be avoid the gunfight if possible.

txgho1911

imported post

Bail the line and put my groceries asside even leaving the store. I live in Indpls and do not know the hood this store is in. What little of Gary Ihave laid eyes on I am trying to forget and I think it's working except I still remember a part of Harbor.
Here in Indpls I open carry in the less than friendly looking areas of town.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

tattedupboy wrote:
About half an hour ago I was standing in line at the grocery store waiting to pay for my purchase when a guy walked in wearing a winter skull cap pulled down so low that it was difficult to see his eyes, as well as a hooded sweatshirt. What is unusual about that is the fact that the temperature here is in the mid 90s. Now, understand that I was not carrying openly (here in Gary, open carry by anyone other than security or law enforcement personnel is frowned upon big time, trust me, I know), but I do have a concealed carry permit and on this occasion, I was carrying my gun in a SmartCarry holster. When I saw this fellow stand right behind me in line, I inconspicuously pulled the butt of my gun up to make it more accessible in case something happened. Nothing happened, and I paid for my groceries and left.

I guess what I'm thinking about is how the outcome would have been different had I been carrying openly? How would all of you have responded? I have seen my share of shady looking people in this town, but never anything quite like this so close to me. How would any of you have handled this situation, whether carrying openly or concealed?
I have never had a bad experience oc'ing in Gary, I live in Munster and travel through Gary at least twice a week oc'ing.

What grocery store were you at, although its technically not Gary, the Merrillville Ultra Foods has some very strange rangers.