• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

When does the Wisconsin carry law go into effect.

Jared

I've been searching everywhere online but I can't find when the bill will be effective. According to the WI rules, a bill has six business days to be signed into law or it becomes law unless vetoed.

Walker claims he will sign the bill on July 8th; however, isn't the bill already law because the bill was enrolled correctly on 6-23-2011 so wouldn't the bill become law after July 1st since that is 6 full business days after enrollment?

If this is correct, isn't the signing ceremony on July 8th just for political pandering since the bill would have already been on his desk for 6 days making it law?

Can anyone who is familiar with the WI legislative process please clarify this? Thanks

Outdoorsman1

Do some reasearch here.... many threads have already discussed this in detail...

Read the bill... Link can also be found in here...

It says at the end of the bill there will be a 4 month waiting period...

The Bill will take affect Nov. 2011...

Outdoorsman1

Jared

Do some reasearch here.... many threads have already discussed this in detail...

Read the bill... Link can also be found in here...

It says at the end of the bill there will be a 4 month waiting period...

The Bill will take affect Nov. 2011...

Outdoorsman1

I've done the research... nothing anywhere states when the bill goes into effect. Everyone is assuming it goes into effect November 1st because Walker will sign it on July 8th.

So that doesn't answer my question. I know what the bill says, but nothing in the bill would say when it was signed (obviously), or when it would become law without signature so that doesn't answer my question.

Again, does anyone know if the clock in Wisconsin starts when the bill is enrolled? The website says it was enrolled on June 23rd, so wouldn't the clock start at that point? If so, doesn't the bill become law by the end of today which would make the signing ceremony just a PR stunt since the bill would already become law?

Last edited:

Teej

I've done the research... nothing anywhere states when the bill goes into effect. Everyone is assuming it goes into effect November 1st because Walker will sign it on July 8th.

So that doesn't answer my question. I know what the bill says, but nothing in the bill would say when it was signed (obviously), or when it would become law without signature so that doesn't answer my question.

Again, does anyone know if the clock in Wisconsin starts when the bill is enrolled? The website says it was enrolled on June 23rd, so wouldn't the clock start at that point? If so, doesn't the bill become law by the end of today which would make the signing ceremony just a PR stunt since the bill would already become law?

1: The 6 day clock doesn't start when it's enrolled. It starts when the bill is presented to the Governor. This has not happened yet. Probably won't happen until within ~ 48 hours of his expected signing.

2: Once he signs it, it has to be published. The (majority of the) law is listed, at the bottom, as becoming effective the first day of the 4th month following publication. He'll sign it. It'll be published in July, so the first month following is August, 4th month is November.

Teej

We won't know for sure until the SOS determines the date of publication, but it will most likely be Nov 1, not Dec. 1.

This act takes effect
on the first day of the 4th month beginning after publication,
except as follows:

Assuming it gets a July "date of publication", the "first month beginning after publication" would be August.
2nd - Sept
3rd - Oct
4th - Nov.

littlewolf

175.60 sec 5 takes effect the first day after publication. This portion mandates application forms be designed and I would hope be in circulation or available online.

They knew this was coming and should have been ready unless they want to stall the process ! just my opinion

Outdoorsman1

My apologies for assuming you did not read the bill... I guess I got a little confused by the title of your original post as to

"When does the Wisconsin carry law go into effect"

as compared to your question in your original post as to

"so wouldn't the bill become law after July 1st since that is 6 full business days after enrollment?

So I have a question per the above...

Is there a difference as to when it becomes law and when it goes into effect... I think I may have mistakenly thought they were the same...

Outdoorsman1

Last edited:

jpm84092

Many Years Late

Whenever it goes into effect it is many years late.

When I moved from Wisconsin to Utah, I made a career decision not to live in any state that was not "shall issue". When SP-93 takes effect, I can add WI to my list of "can move to" and "can easily visit" States. If I hang a left near the IA - IL border and stay in IA, and then come in WI Highway 11, I can make the entire journey without having to disarm.

Grant Guess

I called Galloway's office to clarify and they will respond, likely next week.

Did talk to the Senate Reference Bureau and the gal there said "What I have heard from people here is that they seem to think that it will be 1 Nov and they really worded the section 101 a little strange". She went on to say that by her count "it actually looks more like it's 1 Dec...but, folks here are saying 1 Nov" regarding full implementation.

I like 1 Nov better :^)

Last edited:

markush

Someone correct me if I am wrong (I hope I am). Lets say it goes into effect on Nov. 1st...doesn't the DOJ, for the first 4 months, have up to 45 days to issue permits? Then after that, 21 days to issue? If thats the case I would guess that no one is going to see a permit in their mailbox for 2 or 3 weeks to start, and more likely not until right around the New Year. No permit in hand means no ability to legally conceal.

paul@paul-fisher.com

Someone correct me if I am wrong (I hope I am). Lets say it goes into effect on Nov. 1st...doesn't the DOJ, for the first 4 months, have up to 45 days to issue permits? Then after that, 21 days to issue? If thats the case I would guess that no one is going to see a permit in their mailbox for 2 or 3 weeks to start, and more likely not until right around the New Year. No permit in hand means no ability to legally conceal.

I believe MKEGal worked it out better but I think we could have the 1st permits issued sometime in October with a Nov 1 effective date. I believe the DOJ has to have accepting the applications sometime around September 1st, so + 45 days would be 1st permit 10/15.

MKEgal

Outdoorsman1 said:
Is there a difference as to when it becomes law and when it goes into effect...
I think I may have mistakenly thought they were the same.
It's my understanding that it becomes law when Walker finishes signing it.
(I may be wrong, & it's officially a law once it's published.)
Parts go into effect the day after publication.
Most go into effect 01NOV.

paul said:
I believe MKEGal worked it out better but I think we could have the 1st permits issued sometime in October with a Nov 1 effective date. I believe the DOJ has to have accepting the applications sometime around September 1st, so + 45 days would be 1st permit 10/15.
One part that goes into effect the day after publication is the mandate for the DOJ to design the application & permit (& special LEO stuff) before the "1st day of the 2nd month after publication", which should be 01SEP.

The bill doesn't specifically SAY when the DOJ must make them available.
I think it's reasonable to assume that since the legislature gave them a time by which they needed to have things made, that also becomes the date after which the applications must be available to the public (bill says they must be online, & will be mailed by request), but it doesn't actually say that.

(Maybe that can be added to the list of things Sen Galloway can ask the lawyers to update the FAQ with, along w/ the school zone info they left out.)

If they really are available on 01SEP, & they take the maximum 45 days to process applications (until 01DEC), the first licenses could theoretically be in hand by late OCT (including mailing time).
So if you're going to apply after mid-NOV, it'd be better to wait & get it there after 01DEC, so they have to process it in 21 days.

Grant Guess

It's my understanding that it becomes law when Walker finishes signing it.
(I may be wrong, & it's officially a law once it's published.)
Parts go into effect the day after publication.
Most go into effect 01NOV.

One part that goes into effect the day after publication is the mandate for the DOJ to design the application & permit (& special LEO stuff) before the "1st day of the 2nd month after publication", which should be 01SEP.

The bill doesn't specifically SAY when the DOJ must make them available.
I think it's reasonable to assume that since the legislature gave them a time by which they needed to have things made, that also becomes the date after which the applications must be available to the public (bill says they must be online, & will be mailed by request), but it doesn't actually say that.

(Maybe that can be added to the list of things Sen Galloway can ask the lawyers to update the FAQ with, along w/ the school zone info they left out.)

If they really are available on 01SEP, & they take the maximum 45 days to process applications (until 01DEC), the first licenses could theoretically be in hand by late OCT (including mailing time).
So if you're going to apply after mid-NOV, it'd be better to wait & get it there after 01DEC, so they have to process it in 21 days.

Galloway's assistant called today in response to my inquiry last week. It was his understanding that even though they will have the applications completed by 1 Sept, they will not begin mailing any permits until 1 Nov at the earliest. He also stated that he wasn't certain that the DoJ will even begin processing them until that date.