• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where'd you O.C. today and how'd it go?

SixGunCowboy

Hi guys, this is much the same idea as the one for Missouri, only for Kansas side. Please feel free to communicate where you "open-carried," what kind of experiences you had.. Good or bad, your thoughts and all.. And Have fun with this. New information is always welcome..

showme53

postitive in Manhattan

My son and I OCed at 4 different places yesterday,, HyVee, HyVee conveinence store (complimented by clerk) (watched like a hawk by gas customer), Dillons and Dollar general. First time that we have OCed and will continue to exercise our 2A rights

showme53

OCed at Subway on tuttle creek the other night, funny thing was a woman and child were sitting in the car and her husband was at the counter ordering, I got out and put my gun in holster, went in the store and not 20 seconds late she got out of car with her child and stood next to her husband. I have a feeling that she thought she needed to be next to her man thinking that I was their to do something illegal, then they waited till I left before they left. Their was no problem with the workers had a great conversation with the cashier.

swarr

Wichita

I OC'ed to a store called twisted stitch. I own a Promotional products company and needed some help getting some embroidery done and took what I couldn't finish to them walked in talked with the owners and all not one word. Went great. A lady as I was walking to my car though was giving me a weird look.

KTCerberus

I have open carried nearly ever day since it has been allowed in Wichita, to many different stores and still have not had a single person say even one word to me about it. Been in Wichita, Newton and Hesston without incident. No contact with police officers, voluntary or otherwise.

I get the typical old lady glares from behind at the checkout counter, but also now have young men with face tattoos, hoodies and baggy pants avoid me in the parking lot and stores, often going out of their way to give me a large berth. Its nice not being hit up for change, and being followed to my car every time I go to the store after dark.

Last edited:

swarr

Thanks KT for the sharing that. I decided to just do it already and OC at the QT close to andover on HWY 54 . Had a guy say something along the lines of "whoa....nice." I OC'd in Walmart on greenwich and kellog as well as twisted stitch to get some hats for some customers. It felt great to exercise my right to carry. I hope more start to open carry.

swarr

OC'ed in Cabelas, Target off of k96, and QT out by Andover. It went great. No issues at all.

KTCerberus

I have continued to OC for the past two weeks, still no comments or verbal contact with any one while carrying. Been to a few eateries in Old Town, Delano, and the usual stops at Walmart, Quick Trip, and fast food.

I attended a wedding in downtown Wichita last night, I was CC most of the time due to my suit jacket, but later in the night and during tear down I took it off and OC'd for a few hours. The building was marked on almost every entrance with the no CC placards, but not on the entrance used for the wedding. A Wichita PD officer was in the building doing private security for one of the law offices and made no comment about my carrying when I offered him some of the left over food.

KTCerberus

Carried at the usual places on the east side throughout the week.

Today I went to Pawnee Prairie Park, then downtown Goddard, the gas station, and a few stores including McDonalds. No MWAG calls, no contact with other customers or anything.

Still waiting for a single one person to say a one word to me since I've been carrying for 6 months now. I've got a feeling that when someone does, its going to be a serious PITA.

Jeff Cramer

OK, I joined this forum just for this information! I will probably stick around though :)
I live in Texas and travel to Kansas frequently (born there grew up in Tx) My family has had a farm in Sumner county, all my life. If I understand correctly I can open carry in Kansas and Wichita without CC license (working on a Tx CHL now) but when I get in my vehicle I must disarm, unload and put it in a "container"? And I can anticipate no LEO problems with the possible exceptions of KC and the KC 'burbs?
Oklahoma is similar, I can car carry it but it must be unloaded cased in view.
Texas I can car carry under the Motorist Protection Act, loaded/concealed.

KTCerberus

You are correct on Wichita and Kansas.

I had my first contact last week with someone regarding open carry, I was in Newton at a liquor store. The dude behind the counter was under the impression that liquor stores were off limits to all carry so I educated him on the difference between OC and CC, as well as the changes in the laws since 2005. The store was not even posted with an anti CC gun buster.

I don't believe liquor stores even fell under the alcohol serving establishments rule since no alcohol is actually "served" but is sold. Took 7 months for my first conversation relating to my carrying and it was pretty dull.

Jeff Cramer

You are correct on Wichita and Kansas.

I had my first contact last week with someone regarding open carry, I was in Newton at a liquor store. The dude behind the counter was under the impression that liquor stores were off limits to all carry so I educated him on the difference between OC and CC, as well as the changes in the laws since 2005. The store was not even posted with an anti CC gun buster.

I don't believe liquor stores even fell under the alcohol serving establishments rule since no alcohol is actually "served" but is sold. Took 7 months for my first conversation relating to my carrying and it was pretty dull.

Thank you, I look forward to my next trip up there.

marine0300

in Kansas you can open and conceal carry in all establishments that serve alcohol either open or concealed carry per HB2528 You can't drink and carry that is against the law but carrying in Bars or restaurants that serve alcohol is a go.

LeviR

OC'd in Manhattan, KS today. Just picked up my dry cleaning.

First time OC'ing and plan to do it from here on out.

Super6O

Williams Ace Hardware in Goddard, KS. Guy working was very helpful and when I had what i was looking for he asked me what I carry. Nice chat. The Girl at the register carried a big smile and knew my name.

No reaction at the kwik shop marketplace. Also good.

Super6O

Had a guy ask me if I was a cop while in line at redbox. I politely said no. I don't think he had any problem it was just a conversation starter like "how's the weather." We talked ccw vs open carry a bit and I told him I alternate back and forth by situation. All in all he was just a nice guy that had grown up around firearms but doesn't own a gun. He did not judge me for carrying open nor did I judge him for not owning a gun. I suspect he has thought about getting one in the past and seeing me made him think about it again.

Friendly chat.

Last edited:

findley

Road Trip

Today I hopped on my bike since the weather was nice and oc from Dodge City on a 180 mile circle to the northwest and never got one strange look from anyone, it was a nice day to ride.