• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who Needs a Gun at a Christmas Party?

45acpForMe

imported post

wylde007 wrote:
Normally I wouldn't pay much mind to this, but this guy was a friend of mine in the local music scene. Apparently a disagreement evolved after the neighbor came over and asked for a beer?

Details are sketchy at best right now, but the only person armed was the assailant.

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/12/va-beach-police-investigating-fatal-shooting-and-standoff
So was your friend the person killed or the person in custody?

I am all for being armed all the time even at home. You never know when some dirt-bag is going to interupt your life. :-( I'ld rather be able to reach for a gun on me than run into some other room to retrieve one.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sounds as if even if Mr. Chapin had had a handgun on his belt he might not have had enough time to draw and try to defend himself.

All this over the neighbor being told he could not have a beer? Admittedly almost every shooting is a waste, but I'm beginning to get the feeling that more and more people are losing all inhibitions and control of their emotions over more and more trivial things. Either times are affecting folks harder than we are willing to admit, or there's just a general decline in what used to be called "the moral compass".

Yes, one of the biggest reasons I carry is for self defense. But am I going to have to start defending myself pre-emptorily because the odds are anybody I encounter is very likely to off me for no really reasonable reason?

There is no longer any real tin foil, and it seems the price of aluminum foil is going up. Someone please remind me - is it shiney side out or shiney side in? I am so confused.:uhoh:

stay safe.

skidmark

wylde007

imported post

45acpForMe wrote:
The young man who was killed is a "friend" of sorts. We both play music in local rock bands and have had numerous occasion to pound a few brews and bang a few heads.

No, Skid, you're right. He may not have had much of a chance. But in being totally unarmed he had exactly zero chance.

230therapy

imported post

This is where that "An armed society is a polite society" thing comes in.

Nobody was armed other than the assailant. If there had been several people carrying there, suddenly the odds change. The assailant's victim selection algorithm would have come up with a very different result.

This is exactly why we need to make open carry commonplace.

tcmech

imported post

wylde007 wrote:
45acpForMe wrote:
The young man who was killed is a "friend" of sorts. We both play music in local rock bands and have had numerous occasion to pound a few brews and bang a few heads.

No, Skid, you're right. He may not have had much of a chance. But in being totally unarmed he had exactly zero chance.

My sympathy for your friend and his family, one of the reasons I carry at home, as well as every where else.

driveramsII

imported post

Sorry to hear bout your bud,

On a tangent... I went to my girlfriends neighbors for a Christmas party and the neighbor was so worried that her sister from Florida would flip out she wanted me to leave the pistol in the truck. I carry mostly everywhere I go lately and I just CC'ed while at the neighbors house. Crime follows no schedule so neither does my carrying.

drII

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

wylde007 wrote:
45acpForMe wrote:

Condolences about your acquaintance, W007.

Maybe he shouldn't have opened the door. Hard to tell what happened from the news reports. And it looks like intoxicants were involved, so that makes it harder. Not that it was Chapin's fault.

I'm wondering about the shooter, Patterson. Why did he have a gun? Was he a felon....a regular law abiding citizen....what?

If he is (was) a LAC, was there a way to get his gun away from him? I mean, before he shot up the neighborhood....

Just why did Patterson decide to go over to Chapin's house late at night? Was there a party? Was Patterson invited? Had Patterson been at the party earlier? Had he been at the Chapin home before? Was he drunk?

Many questions are unanswered about the setting. Except for the obvious one: Did Patterson have a right to shoot Chapin and his brother.

Interesting case.

Va. Beach police investigating fatal shooting and standoff

VIRGINIA BEACH

Police are investigating a shooting that killed one manand injured another shortly after midnight and then turned into a standoff with a man who was later to becharged with the shooting.

About 12:15 a.m. police were called to the 1800 block of Blairmore Arch in the Ocean Lakes part of Virginia Beach. One person was pronounced dead at the scene and the second was taken to a hospital with injuries that were not considered life threatening, said Adam Bernstein, Virginia Beach police spokesman.

Witnesses told police that someone had knocked on the door, talked with the person who answered and thengun shots were heard, Bernstein said. Two other people were inside the house at the time of the shooting, but did not see the shooting, only heard it. They were not injured.

Detectives initially spoke with a man who lives across the street from the home, but after a few minutes of conversation, he went back inside and refused to come out. A SWAT team was called to the address. Shortly after 3 a.m., Bernstein reported that the man had come out to his front porch and then went back inside. The SWAT teambroke through the front door, used a flash bangand, despite some physical struggling with the SWAT officers, the man was taken into police custody.

The man was not initially identified as a suspect when police took him to the Police Department for questioning. Bernstein said this afternoon that he will be charged with the shooting.

Source URL (retrieved on 12/26/2009 - 16:33): http://hamptonroads.com/2009/12/va-beach-police-investigating-fatal-shooting-and-standoff

Police name Virginia Beach homicide victim, neighbor is charged with killing

By David Macaulay
8:34 PM EST, December 26, 2009

VIRGINIA BEACH — A double shooting in Virginia Beach left one man dead and his brother injured early Saturday morning.

A SWAT team was also called out in the early hours after the suspect refused to come out of his house in the street where the shooting took place.

The shooting left Keith Chapin, 35, of Blairmore Arch in the Ocean Lakes subdivision dead and his brother wounded.

Police spokesman Adam Bernstein said Chapin's brother was visiting his home for Christmas. He was in a stable condition in a local hospital on Saturday evening.

At about 12:15 a.m. police were called to the 1800 block of Blairmore Arch to a report of a double shooting.

Detectives spoke with Aaron Louis Patterson, who lives across the street from the home, but after about 10 minutes of conversation, he went back into his home and refused to come out, according to Bernstein.

A SWAT team was called out. Bernstein said "after some physical resistance" Patterson was taken into custody.

Bernstein said the shooting appears to have taken place after Patterson called on Chapin's home.

Patterson was charged with homicide, murder, malicious wounding and two counts of using a firearm in the commission of a felony, later Saturday.

dailypress.com/news/dp-local_vbhomicide_1227dec27,0,522059.story

dailypress.com