• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who needs a gun in a National Park

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

cabbitone wrote:
Slightly off topic but still pertaining to animal attacks.
Anyone have any idea what the minimum would be to use against an alligator? (handgun caliber/load)
Like would a high pressure 10mm(not a lethargic FBI Light) work?

*clarification - Referring to self defense not hunting, i.e. one is charging you or has clamped down on you/object

A .22 through the top of the head works nicely.

As for polar bear, Eskimos used to take them with a long pointed stick. Turns out if you run away, they give chase, but if you walk up to them they almost always rear up, exposing their fronts. A couple of quick stabs through their hearts startles them into doing nothing for the few seconds it takes them to become unconscious.

Of course they don't always rear up, which is why the eldest man in the village always pulled that duty.

I'm wondering how my 9 mm would work against a grizzly. I carried a .44 magnum while backpacking in the Inland Northwest, but I had to give that back to my father. I know it's only a 9 mm, but I can put 17 shots on target in less than five seconds, and another 16 in less than ten more seconds. It's packs a third the punch of my .44 mag, but with three times number of initial rounds, so I figure it works more like a shotgun.

paramedic70002

imported post

My Uncle was attacked by a wounded and angry bear once. It was charging him through the woods on it's hind legs with front legs outstretched. He was sitting against a tree, deer hunting.

He put 5 12 gauge shells into it pretty quick (yes he was illegally loaded) followed by 4 more single loaded, before it dropped 10 feet away from him. I've been told it was the largest bear taken in NC at the time and was eventually stuffed and placed somewhere in the Capitol.

I will not trust any dangerous wild animal with less than the best gun/ammo combination available.

lil_freak_66

imported post

paramedic70002 wrote:
My Uncle was attacked by a wounded and angry bear once. It was charging him through the woods on it's hind legs with front legs outstretched. He was sitting against a tree, deer hunting.

He put 5 12 gauge shells into it pretty quick (yes he was illegally loaded) followed by 4 more single loaded, before it dropped 10 feet away from him. I've been told it was the largest bear taken in NC at the time and was eventually stuffed and placed somewhere in the Capitol.

I will not trust any dangerous wild animal with less than the best gun/ammo combination available.
NC has less than a 5 round capacity limit for deer??

i know many states it is 6,or none.

paramedic70002

imported post

In VA you're supposed to have a 2 magazine capacity limit. Something to do with federal migratory bird laws. Not sure why it applies to all hunting but that's the way I've always known it to be done. And he told me himself that he was illegally loaded. This happened in the 80's.

EDIT: It's been years since I hunted. I did find this in VA's 09-10 regs:

Unplugged shotguns are legal for hunting non-migratory game and crows

PT111

imported post

In SC there is a 3 shell limit on migratory birds due to Federal regulations but I don't think there isa limit for other game. As for Alligators the SC DNR recommends a .357 for killing or may require it, I can't remember which as one of the allowed methods of killing once you have them at the boat.

Toymaker

imported post

since9 wrote:
I'm wondering how my 9 mm would work against a grizzly. I carried a .44 magnum while backpacking in the Inland Northwest, but I had to give that back to my father. I know it's only a 9 mm, but I can put 17 shots on target in less than five seconds, and another 16 in less than ten more seconds. It's packs a third the punch of my .44 mag, but with three times number of initial rounds, so I figure it works more like a shotgun.

here ya go

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_37&products_id=268

[align=right]
This is the deepest penetrating load ever offered in 9mm! This is THE load for the woods in 9mm. The flat point helps to cut rather than move around hard objects such as bone. The tough brass jacket on the bullet helps it to keep its shape. A great backup for hunting, camping, and hiking!

Now available!

Caliber : 9mm+P

Bullet : Montana Gold Full Metal Jacket Flat Point

Ballistics : 147gr @ 1135fps / 421ft. lbs. from a G17.
Glock 19 velocity - 1120fps.

Box of 50rds[/align]

Carry these in your 9mm............ along with a good prayer.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

There are people whoare more biased for the wildlife than humans... or so it would seem. Trust in gadgets? No. I transit a park daily and live one the edge of it. The primary threat critters are mountion lion and wolves. Secondary are the javelina and coyotes... moreso the javelina. Then there's the rattlers. There's also illegal drug smugglers, people traffickers and the like. They tend to be armed.

We (here) have carried guns into the park before it was ever a park... when it became a park there was no difference in that dynamic.I s'pose some smokey bear hat wearin' biologists with gunsfrom elsewhere would take umbrage... but some laws are considered stupid at birth. The Rangers here understand the dynamic... even if their non-resident bosses do not.

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
imported post

since9 wrote:
When I got to Alaska, I bought a .44 magnum. About a year later after I saw a real grizzly in the wild from about 50 feet away, I bought a 500 magnum. No way would I give even a brief consideration to relying upon a 9mm as my primary protection against grizzly bears! You do whatever you want, but I'll stick with the 500 mag...unless someone comes out with something more powerful.

By the way, some Inuit ("Eskimos") I know called BS on the "hunting polar bears with a sharp stick" story. They said that before the advent of firearms, polar bears were almost always hunted by teams of strong young men with snares and spears and that fatalities among the hunters were not rare.

erichonda30

Banned
imported post

Dreamer wrote:
JoeSparky wrote:
BTW if the "Manbearpig" comment was intended as ANTI LAWFUL LAW ENFORCEMENT... I take offence!

That is a "South Park" Reference...

GoreMBP_Desktop1.JPG

GoreMBP_Desktop2.JPG

manbear pig its poking fun at al gore/global warming