• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who Needs a Gun in Norfolk?

wylde007

Thursday, August 19, 2010, 5:51 PM
West 39th street, there has been shooting in the area suspects have fled the area, there are at least two suspects,both armed with handguns, last seen running east on 39th street toward the Hampton blvd. Report any suspicious activity to Norfolk Police 911.
Followed by:
Late yesterday afternoon Old Dominion University Police issued an emergency alert to advise the campus community of a reported shooting in the 500 block of West 39th Street. The suspects, at least two men armed with handguns, fled the area and were last seen running east on 39th Street toward Hampton Boulevard.

No ODU students were involved in the incident. The proximity of the incident to campus and the fact that the suspects fled on foot necessitated the alert.

The Norfolk Police Department is handling the investigation. Early reports indicated the shooting was related to home invasion/robbery intent, but we have received no further updates from Norfolk Police as of this morning. Any information related to the incident or suspicious activity should be reported to Norfolk Police by calling 911.

Before the semester begins, take a moment to review your notification settings and verify your information – or register if you are not yet enrolled – in the emergency alert notification system.

As always, the ODU community is reminded to be vigilant regarding your surroundings and take prudent safety precautions. A list of safety tips and services can be found here.
A University whose policy makes it "illegal" for students and faculty to defend themselves in the event of such an "invasion/robbery". School policy practically screams "Come visit ODU and violate us!"

I'm kind of glad I'm not teaching there this semester.

t33j

I was with some friends at the 7-11 on Colley and 38th when my friends got the text. Good for them they didn't head my way.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
The proximity of the incident to campus and the fact that the suspects fled on foot necessitated the alert.

Liars. The fact that practically all the people on campus are forbidden the means to defend themselves necessitated the alert.

USNA69

A PARABLE

Once upon a time, there was a rancher who owned several thousand sheep. At night, when they were not grazing, he kept them in a very large corral.

One night, the rancher received a telephone call informing him that wolves had attacked several sheep at an adjacent ranch. He immediately ran to the corral and shouted as loudly as he could, "SHEEP, SHEEP, BE CAREFUL. THERE ARE WOLVES NEARBY!!!"

Not surprisingly, all the sheep became very frightened and began huddling together as closely as they could. A spokes-sheep approached the rancher and asked, "Why in the world did you tell us a thing like that? Just what are we supposed to do about it? Wait to be eaten?" "No", replied the rancher, "I will protect you." The spokes-sheep looked around and said, "Really??? This corral is about a mile in circumference. How in the hell are you going to protect us?"

At that moment, snarling and an anguished bleat were heard at the far end of the corral.

Last edited:

45acpForMe

http://www.collegesource.org/displa...g={B2F671C7-589E-4645-8AEC-2EC460F9F03A}&vt=5

ODU current Undergraduate Catalog. Click the link. Go to page 16. Read the policies concerning firearms. Make sure you wrap your head in duct tape first.

This policy regulates use of privately owned firearms, and prohibits firearms, related devices and weapons on campus to the extent permitted by law.

So is ODU a state university covered by preemption/incorporation or whatnot? I would think that the above statement would negate just about everything else in their regulation.

USNA69

This just arrived in my e-mail from a friend. I have removed the friend's information; only the ODU e-mail is shown:

Date: Friday, August 20, 2010, 11:11 AM
Late yesterday afternoon Old Dominion University Police issued an emergency alert to advise the campus community of a reported shooting in the 500 block of West 39th Street. The suspects, at least two men armed with handguns, fled the area and were last seen running east on 39th Street toward Hampton Boulevard.

No ODU students were involved in the incident. The proximity of the incident to campus and the fact that the suspects fled on foot necessitated the alert.

The Norfolk Police Department is handling the investigation. Early reports indicated the shooting was related to home invasion/robbery intent, but we have received no further updates from Norfolk Police as of this morning. Any information related to the incident or suspicious activity should be reported to Norfolk Police by calling 911.

Before the semester begins, take a moment to review your notification settings and verify your information – or register if you are not yet enrolled – in the emergency alert notification system.

As always, the ODU community is reminded to be vigilant regarding your surroundings and take prudent safety precautions. A list of safety tips and services can be found here.

Here's a safety tip: Take responsibility for your own safety and get a gun ... or ... be a terrified sheep in the corral, waiting for the wolves to arrive.

DJEEPER

i just bought an apartment on 48th. I am really happy that i have my XDm .40.

I got the text but i was working in yorktown at the time.

nova

This policy regulates use of privately owned firearms, and prohibits firearms, related devices and weapons on campus to the extent permitted by law.

So is ODU a state university covered by preemption/incorporation or whatnot? I would think that the above statement would negate just about everything else in their regulation.

Right now state universities are not covered by preemption. Yes, their gun bans are illegal as they violate the VA Const. (article 1 section 13) but that's going to be settled by the VA Supreme Court within the next year. Hopefully in the next legislative session we can add state agencies to the preemption law.

Last edited:

GQflyboy

Haha, anyone that has ever listened to the Norfolk PD police scanner!

I hear domestic Violence, breaking and entering, larceny in progress all the time with no available units to dispatch. More police isn't going to solve any of these problems. The sound of a shot gun getting racked will though.

Q

t33j

Haha, anyone that has ever listened to the Norfolk PD police scanner!

I hear domestic Violence, breaking and entering, larceny in progress all the time with no available units to dispatch. More police isn't going to solve any of these problems. The sound of a shot gun getting racked will though.

Q
Occasionally when I lived on 37th street I'd listen to it on my computer. That reminds me, I need to move the shotgun into the new place...

Last edited:

Old Virginia Joe

Right now state universities are not covered by preemption. Yes, their gun bans are illegal as they violate the VA Const. (article 1 section 13) but that's going to be settled by the VA Supreme Court within the next year. Hopefully in the next legislative session we can add state agencies to the preemption law.

When you say "add state agencies," do you mean all agencies in the state government? I hope so, as I am denied the ability to carry as I do the state's business in some of the worst urban areas, in spite of my military veteran/officer status and CHP. Would your plan allow carry also in state vehicles while on-duty? Also, who is "we," the VCDL?

nova

When you say "add state agencies," do you mean all agencies in the state government? I hope so, as I am denied the ability to carry as I do the state's business in some of the worst urban areas, in spite of my military veteran/officer status and CHP. Would your plan allow carry also in state vehicles while on-duty? Also, who is "we," the VCDL?

"We" means the people of Virginia, through legislative action. And yes, preempting state agencies would mean that places like public universities, DGIF land and waters, and I would also assume state parks and forests too. Basically anything that isn't covered by federal law, and other places state law also prohibits carry (jails, courthouses, K-12). Other than that, things would be pretty nice. I'd like to see the K-12 thing go away too, no reason for it since criminals don't care anyways.

darthmord

"We" means the people of Virginia, through legislative action. And yes, preempting state agencies would mean that places like public universities, DGIF land and waters, and I would also assume state parks and forests too. Basically anything that isn't covered by federal law, and other places state law also prohibits carry (jails, courthouses, K-12). Other than that, things would be pretty nice. I'd like to see the K-12 thing go away too, no reason for it since criminals don't care anyways.

In this case, I would define agency as any entity, authority, or sub-division that exists at any level of State or Local government regardless of the branch of government it serves / provides service for. That way no matter what, it grabs everyone that it SHOULD apply to. If government created the dept/group, it inherits all of that government's limits too (ex: Housing Authorities set up by the city, Hospitals like Chesapeake General, etc).

I'm tired of the wiggling and squirming of government employees hiding behind "Sorry, I'm not in an applicable 'agency'. Those rules don't apply here." lines off bullpucky.

Side rant: Too many laws are too nitpicky and thus miss their intended target. The tighter one grasps, the more slips through one's fingers.

t33j

Side rant: Too many laws are too nitpicky and thus miss their intended target. The tighter one grasps, the more slips through one's fingers.

I think I'd rather have that than room for interpretation.

Last edited:

darthmord

I think I'd rather have that than room for interpretation.

I don't because if the law is tooo nitpicky, then it gets interpreted to include you and exclude the very targets the law meant to address.

A properly written law doesn't need interpretation or guessing as to intent. It is also clear about its intent and scope.

Example: If the General Assembly (of VA) was really intent upon retaining control over firearms laws, they would have written the statutes to do just that. Instead they are a hodge podge of legalese, loopholes, and carved exceptions. Thus we have all these arguements over what is an agency affected by pre-emption, over what localities can do, etc.

If they were serious, it would be crystal clear what they meant and their list of exemptions and exclusions would be equally clear.

Say what you mean... Mean what you say... And when necessary, say it mean.

t33j

Say what you mean... Mean what you say... And when necessary, say it mean.

That's what I mean. Intent shouldn't even come into the discussion. It should be plain as clearly written sentences on a page.

Last edited: