• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who notices when you OC?

solus

of course the concept of what do folk wear under their kilts comes to mind....

why their shoes of course!!

(at least i do anyway though dont normally wear a belt to care my pistol w/me)

Last edited:

jt59

It depends

When I am standing in line at any of my banks or stores, there are a lot of looks, a few questions, nothing ever negative... I have had tellers in the BOA, standing behind 3" of bullet proof glass thanking me for carrying...

When out and about, shopping or wandering through a store, I think that very few people are even aware based on what I see.... I would guess as many as 95% are clueless of their surrounding environs or are lost in their cell phones at any given moment...

DocWalker

In my country, unless your in the countryside, anyone who open carries is probably IRA or UVF. Back when I was growing up durring the Troubles, the security forces did more than give you looks if you open carried, you got shot.

My wife is Irish...good thing you guys don't have tempers......bbbwwaaaaahhhhhh

Sorry I couldn't say that with a straight face. But seriously she is the best, her maidan name is Fogarty and she hails from near Tipperary Ireland. The part is I was born to an American Service Memeber in England and have two birth certificates. I came to the states when I was 10 years old and ended up joining the USAF.

Irish wife and she hasn't killed me yet.

b0neZ

Out of the countless places I've OC'ed, I've only been able to verify that one person noticed.

She had an issue with it, and lied to me about her corporate policy re: firearms. Yes, that got dealt with ASAP.

My wife is Irish...good thing you guys don't have tempers......bbbwwaaaaahhhhhh

Sorry I couldn't say that with a straight face. But seriously she is the best, her maidan name is Fogarty and she hails from near Tipperary Ireland. The part is I was born to an American Service Memeber in England and have two birth certificates. I came to the states when I was 10 years old and ended up joining the USAF.

Irish wife and she hasn't killed me yet.

Just don't ask her if she's gaining weight or going grey, and you'll remain among the living.

(Yes, that was meant in jest.)

Zen7

I have been OCing my 1911 for about two months now. I am a pretty clean cut, well kempt looking kid so most people don't get to worried I think. I had one instance in Walmart when an African American woman noticed. I was walking in the store with some friends and I was in the front. They stopped to talk to someone, and I turned so my left side (gun side) was facing the woman. She was with a little girl (daughter?) and she said to her "Oh he's got a gun thats scaryy" in a kinda childish tone. I think she was just joking with her kid, but she did seem alarmed. I looked at her and smiled and said "Yes ma'am, it's legal to carry this." She kinda half smiled and continued with her shopping.

I also had a more positive instance in Walmart as well where an older couple was walking behind me and I noticed she had said something about Concealed Carry. I turned and smiled at her and asked if she had said something to me. Her husband just said he wishes he could do that and he's all for it. I told them to have a good one and that was that.

I'm interested to see what other encounters will look like. Hopefully I can shed a good light on gun owners.

Adam Cook

Just wondering if any of you have noticed any trends among the people who actually notice you OC. For me it seems that it is mostly little kids (8 and under) who tend to notice my OC. My personal theory is that they do so because their eye level is closer to my belt, where the pistol is. I have OC'ed with large groups of people before, and had nobody notice until a little 8 year old pointed it out to them. Does this happen to you?

Yea, they're also conditioned to be afraid of guns and especially afraid of anybody carrying one.

JustJack

Really? I've never had a kid afraid of my gun.

I have. Went to Portsmouth to pick up my new Border Collie puppy last Tuesday. Standing there talking to the breeder when her nephew (about 10-12yrs old) looks up at me and goes "Is that a real gun?". I said, "Yep" and he said "Well, I'm outta here." and ran inside. Of course he was wearing a Sheriff's style toy hat, which to me is funny.