• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who's legally pemitted to open carry ?

coltster

Hello,

I'm from Canada. I used to have cccw permits before for two states, of which both do not issue to out of state folks anymore.
Couple questions, do any states still issue to out of state (including out of country) folks ? I believe Utah did for a while, do they still do ?

And for example, open carry laws in Texas, Ohio or any others, are those open carry simply not illegal and anyone can do ? or have to be a resident ?
I have family in Ohio, and while visiting, may I open carry as a visitor ?
1) either with my own pistol (which I would bring with me into U.S. by legal means)
2) or can I borrow my cousins gun and open carry ?
3) I assume gun can be loaded ? if so, any restrictions on chambered round ?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Coltster

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Hello,

I'm from Canada. I used to have cccw permits before for two states, of which both do not issue to out of state folks anymore.
Couple questions, do any states still issue to out of state (including out of country) folks ? I believe Utah did for a while, do they still do ?

And for example, open carry laws in Texas, Ohio or any others, are those open carry simply not illegal and anyone can do ? or have to be a resident ?
1) either with my own pistol (which I would bring with me into U.S. by legal means)

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Coltster

Welcome Colster - that is quite a litany of questions.

Numerous states either issue non-resident permits or do not require a permit - Utah still issues a non-resident permit, but won't help you living in Canada.
General/broad range info can be found at http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=101

In Texas, one needs a permit to carry, so won't help you, and no OC of a handgun.

In Ohio you may OC as a visitor, but not in a vehicle.
http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=286

Become familiar with the gun laws of each state where you might visit AND assume nothing.
Generally you may borrow a gun and carry - specific laws are state dependent.

I know of no country whose permit to carrry a gun is honored by another country - what is your point with that?

Last edited:

JustaShooter

As for Ohio, you may open carry as a visitor, except in a vehicle as noted already, unless you have a concealed handgun license recognized by Ohio. Before entering the vehicle you must unload and properly store the firearm. See http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.16 for details about what constitutes unloaded and properly stored. Feel free to hop over to the Ohio forum at http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?119-Ohio if you have questions.

As to your other questions:
1. If you can legally bring it into the country, you can open carry it legally in Ohio.
2. You can borrow a handgun and open carry it legally in Ohio, as long as you are over 21.
3. The gun can be loaded and there are no restrictions on the type of ammunition.

One other thing to be careful of - in the US we have a silly Federal Gun Free School Zones Act that prohibits you from knowingly possessing a firearm in a place that you know, or have reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone. School zones extend 1,000 feet from the boundaries of the school property.

There are exceptions - being on private property not part of school grounds, unloaded and in a locked container in a vehicle, etc., but it is something to be careful of.

JustaShooter

Really? My understaning is that 18 is the legal minimum age to OC in Ohio. Did I miss something?
http://my.opencarry.org/?page_id=139

Yeah, being Ohio it isn't as straight-forward as it might otherwise be. Nothing in the law that I'm aware of prohibits possession of a handgun by those 18-21, but it does prohibit "improperly furnishing" a handgun to someone under 21:
From ORC 2923.21
(A) No person shall do any of the following:

(1) Sell any firearm to a person who is under eighteen years of age;

(2) Subject to division (B) of this section, sell any handgun to a person who is under twenty-one years of age;

(3) Furnish any firearm to a person who is under eighteen years of age or, subject to division (B) of this section, furnish any handgun to a person who is under twenty-one years of age, except for lawful hunting, sporting, or educational purposes, including, but not limited to, instruction in firearms or handgun safety, care, handling, or marksmanship under the supervision or control of a responsible adult;

So, unless it is for a "lawful hunting, sporting, or educational purpose" and is "under the supervision or control of a responsible adult" you cannot furnish a handgun to someone under 21. However, as far as I (and others who have posted likewise) can tell, nothing prohibits possession under 21 so if you legally acquired a handgun in another state while a resident there and then came to Ohio while still under 21, you could legally openly carry it. IANAL and all that.

coltster

o.k. thanks.
So, if I reacquire a ccw from Utah or elsewhere, Ohio (as do many other) state recognizes and reciprocates with other ccw states ?
I don't travel to U.S very often, but will start a little more in near future for uspsa matches and occasionally family visits, so would be good to have protection with me.
I used to have ccw thru N.Y. state and New Hampshire in late 90's. I think they both dont anymore.
You know which states, other than Utah that offer out of state permits ?

JustaShooter

Ohio does recognize a Utah non-resident permit. Many states offer non-resident permits, I know UT, FL and AZ are the ones most often talked about around here, though I don't know if they will issue to non-US Citizens. www.handgunlaw.us is a great resource for carry laws and permit application processes, probably worth reviewing. Also, http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html does a great job of showing which states recognize a particular license.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped--
You know which states, other than Utah that offer out of state permits ?
Please tell us that you are not asking someone to check and cite all 50 states for non-resident licenses that would be availble to you with your particular individual circumstances.
icon13.png

I mean really.

Google is your friend.

coltster

Please tell us that you are not asking someone to check and cite all 50 states for non-resident licenses that would be availble to you with your particular individual circumstances.
icon13.png

I mean really.

Google is your friend.

These forums are for asking questions and discussing. A few very kind folk have replied already with some good info for me and with links of where I can get more info. I greatly appreciate such.
If you my good man, do not wish to offer an informative reply, why bother replying ?

Thank you to all who've replied. I'll double check with links and state laws when have more time and before my next visit to the U.S. This was to get me general info moving forward.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
These forums are for asking questions and discussing. A few very kind folk have replied already with some good info for me and with links of where I can get more info. I greatly appreciate such.
If you my good man, do not wish to offer an informative reply, why bother replying ?

Thank you to all who've replied. I'll double check with links and state laws when have more time and before my next visit to the U.S. This was to get me general info moving forward.
Part of what we do, a great part of what we do, is to teach others how to be self-sufficient within the scope of RKBA.

With over 30,000 member/users, it would ill afford us to do the simplest of research for each one.

It is no "bother" to inform others of protocol here - that falls within my job description.

Last edited:

OC for ME

Self reliance and rugged individualism is the name of the game down here. Google not available up in the Great White North?

How about this, specificity is your friend. Inform us as to where you may be traveling to, which states that is, including route(s), and more narrowly tailored response(s) mat be provided. List the permit(s) you currently have, then a list of permit(s) may be recommended.