• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why are most American made firearms made in anti-firearm states?

Custodian

imported post

Sense is not made. Here are a few manufacturers locations.

Springfield Armory, Rock River Arms - Illinois

Smith & Wesson, Savage - Massachusetts

Kahr & Kimber - New York

Colt, Ruger, Seecamp & Mossberg - Connecticut

Remington - North Carolina!

johnnyb

Banned
imported post

Custodian wrote:

Kahr & Kimber - New York

my guess is that they were started a long time ago, before those places became so anti-gun

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Jim675 wrote:
These states aren't anti-payroll. As long as the guns are shipped off to kill elsewhere there have no moral qualms.

We want the money.

Rights can fall by the wayside.

Its about power.

Tomahawk

imported post

Manufacturing businesses are placed where it costs the least. Low taxes, low labor costs, etc., or you go under.

Springfield Armory Inc. now makes its 1911s in Brazil, not exactly a pro-gun state ("state" here being used in its original, pre-Civil Warcontext).

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

A fellow I met, Jim Tomes, the President of Indiana's Second Amendment Patriots, made some attempts to get manufacturers to move in Indiana.

No luck yet, but he sure knew what he was talking about. There was some sort of ex-military land or something, and he knew about it frontwards and backwards.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

On the one hand, I would love to see those firearm, firearm component and firearm accessory companies move out of anti-firearm states. On the other hand, I think the anti-states would be far worse towards firearms without the threat that is exactly what will happen hanging over the legislators heads.

IL has had some really bad firearm legislation proposed that the drooling dems of Chi town were ready to pass. The threats of the firearm manufacturers and distributors to leave the state permanently were one of the few effective fronts against that legislation. I would assume that similar dynamics have played out in other states similarly predisposed. It may be the economic power of those firearm manufacturers are important to reestablishing our rights in those states.

eyesopened

imported post

Custodian wrote:

Kahr & Kimber - New York

Maybe 'cause they like flipping the bird it to the Anti-gunners up close :celebrate

Guido

imported post

Browning Arms used to have a plant in Ogden, Utah I don't know if it is still there or not.

I remember touring it with my father when I was maybe 14 or 15, that is where my love of weapons and target practice comes from I think. :D

Smiget

imported post

Ohio generally isn't anti-gun, in fact most of it is very pro-gun,
however the officers in Dayton are notorious for being
extremely hoplophobic and anti-gun and anti gun rights.

41 Magnum

imported post

Most of those facilities were established in the mid-to-late 1800's. LONG before this country knew what anti-gun was.

As posted by others before me, the rest areat thier locationsdue to favorable tax treatment.

Legba

imported post

Smiget wrote:
the officers in Dayton are notorious for being
extremely hoplophobic and anti-gun and anti gun rights.

Nahhhh... [add bitterly sardonic emoticon here]

-ljp

Gunslinger

imported post

Custodian wrote:

Kahr & Kimber - New York

SIG: "Live free or die" New Hampshire. Glock GA; Ruger AZ; Beretta--forget where, but in the South. New England was where the gun mfg started: CT river valley. Upstate NY used to be gun neutral, at least. IL--no comment.