• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why do we vote for an Attorney General, when they do not report to the voter?

zekester

I am not sure about the rest of the states, but we in Texas vote for the AG, even though him/her is not required to respond to a legal question.

I called the AG in Texas today and asked this question, and was hung up on.....not put on hold....hung up.

USAG, hang on to yur a@@ Holder was not elected....why are the states different?

Just venting, but this is indeed BS.....I vote for those that represent me....not the idiots that get elected, even if i voted for an idiot....

z

Last edited:

zekester

I realize that he is not our attorney.....which brings me back to the questions.....why do we "VOTE" for him?

davidmcbeth

Banned
I realize that he is not our attorney.....which brings me back to the questions.....why do we "VOTE" for him?

He actually IS your attny.

He will represent you against businesses. Most AGs will contact businesses who did you wrong on your behalf .. ie YOUR attorney...if you file a complaint with his office.

That's his job ... to represent you and the state.

So, you called him up and asked why his position existed and why he is an elected official? Click.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
He actually IS your attny.

He will represent you against businesses. Most AGs will contact businesses who did you wrong on your behalf .. ie YOUR attorney...if you file a complaint with his office.

That's his job ... to represent you and the state.

So, you called him up and asked why his position existed and why he is an elected official? Click.

Well, yes, sort of. The AG will represent a class composed of all the citizens of the State against businesses that engage in improper behavior towards customers within the State, and will represent the State in complaints against state executive branch agencies, as well as the State as a whole in issues involving/effecting not only your state but some/many/all other states - such as amici briefs at the various federal court levels.

But none of that answers the OP's question. May I have the envelope please? ::sound of envelope being torn open, sheet of paper being withdrawn and waved with a flousish before being read::

The AG is one of the state-level constitutional officers. Thus, they are elected, as opposed to being either appointed or just walking in off the street and sitting in the big chair. (Those are the only two possible alternative means of becoming AG, since we eliminated heriditary offices.)

No offense to the OP, but --- [begin skidmark biolerplate rant #4.b] why are schools no longer teaching basic civics? Besides knowing Latin, Greek and how many rods in a furlong (do not get me started on the bushels per hectare thing), we had to know how the government was supposed to run before they would let us out into the world with a diploma saying we were edjumicated.

stay safe.

Last edited:

zekester

Well, yes, sort of. The AG will represent a class composed of all the citizens of the State against businesses that engage in improper behavior towards customers within the State, and will represent the State in complaints against state executive branch agencies, as well as the State as a whole in issues involving/effecting not only your state but some/many/all other states - such as amici briefs at the various federal court levels.

But none of that answers the OP's question. May I have the envelope please? ::sound of envelope being torn open, sheet of paper being withdrawn and waved with a flousish before being read::

The AG is one of the state-level constitutional officers. Thus, they are elected, as opposed to being either appointed or just walking in off the street and sitting in the big chair. (Those are the only two possible alternative means of becoming AG, since we eliminated heriditary offices.)

No offense to the OP, but --- [begin skidmark biolerplate rant #4.b] why are schools no longer teaching basic civics? Besides knowing Latin, Greek and how many rods in a furlong (do not get me started on the bushels per hectare thing), we had to know how the government was supposed to run before they would let us out into the world with a diploma saying we were edjumicated.

stay safe.

Fair enough...then why can't we vote for the AG of the US?

If he represents the "STATE" and not the people, then he should be appointed.....JMO

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Cause its an appointed position ... best answer I can give ...

Because the USAG is a Cabinet position - a flunky of POTUS as opposed to a Constitutional Officer in most of the States. Only three states, plus D.C., appoint their Attorney General. See http://www.cga.ct.gov/2003/rpt/2003-R-0231.htm (figures Connecticutt would be one of them :p)

Half a point deduction to davidmcbeth for failing to explain the Cabinet nature of the position. (Yeah, a mere technical bagatelle.)

stay safe.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Because the USAG is a Cabinet position - a flunky of POTUS as opposed to a Constitutional Officer in most of the States. Only three states, plus D.C., appoint their Attorney General. See http://www.cga.ct.gov/2003/rpt/2003-R-0231.htm (figures Connecticutt would be one of them :p)

Half a point deduction to davidmcbeth for failing to explain the Cabinet nature of the position. (Yeah, a mere technical bagatelle.)

stay safe.

But I killed Nagini ... I think that should get me some points .... lol

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
But I killed Nagini ... I think that should get me some points .... lol

Attaboys do not carry over past your most recent "Aw, snap!"

Given your track record for digging yourself into holes I expect that you are almost through the second or third full time on Rosetta Stone's Mandarin for Dummies.

stay safe.