• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why not?

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Get yourself an opencarry.org shirt and wear it where ever there are gun people. I like the idea of OCing other gun related paraphenilia too. Whatever is legal, I saw go for it.

TEX1N

imported post

I like longwatch's ideas. I have also heard of people OC'ing and empty holster, which normally attracts questions.

Let us know what you decide to do, and how it goes!

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

When VCDL had its picnic at Foster Falls State Park last summer, a few folks tried to OC but were told to conceal by the park police, which was in keeping with the park regulations. However, in response many openly carried their magazine pouches and one fellow kept his cellphone in an empty holster. What ever you do just make sure it is legal, just in case there is some screwy case law or regulation banning the appearance of gun related items. An OCDO shirt is safe enough I imagine.

TEX1N

imported post

longwatch wrote:
An OCDO shirt is safe enough I imagine.
I agree. I would think logo's, slogans, or a printed message on clothing would fall under the 1st Amendment as free speech. Although I would also think that OC would fall under the 2nd Amendment as the RKBA! :banghead:

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

When I have to go to my son's school, I park off school property, lock the weapon in the car safe, and OC an empty holster. That's become my norm over the past several months.

No one has questioned me in the school, though; I'm not sure anyone has noticed. I'd relish the chance to have a civilized discussion - but I'm not convinced that's possible in our schools either :lol:

I do often wear VCDL apparel. Don't have OCDO polo yet (wait - something was mentioned about a free shirt since they used my "can't carry a cop" line ..... Oh, well.)

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Tess wrote:
When I have to go to my son's school, I park off school property, lock the weapon in the car safe, and OC an empty holster.
As I read 18.2-308.1, there is no ammo ban in schools - you can carry a loaded magazine in VA schools. I have always carried my am,mo at school in my pocket - maybe I need to carry the magazine.

CPerdue

imported post

Maybe a cowboy action style thigh rig with lots of tassels and - go for it - rhinestones would get noticed? Who cares if you ever put a gun in it?:lol:

call it ostentatious pseudo-carry I guess.