• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WI only recognizes non resident VA CCW

swinokur

Activist Member
I was perusing handgun law.us and found this anomaly. WI only recognizes VA non resident permits, not resident permits. The reason given is that only non resident permits are subject to a full NICS check, while only VA databases are checked for resident permits.

I don't know of any other state basing reciprocity on this stipulation.

http://www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib/ConcealedCarry/reciprocity.asp

Last edited:

Sangre

I was perusing handgun law.us and found this anomaly. WI only recognizes VA non resident permits, not resident permits. The reason given is that only non resident permits are subject to a full NICS check, while only VA databases are checked for resident permits.

I noticed this too the other day and thought it was pretty weird. At least you can OC, although apparently not in a car?

Last edited:

swinokur

Activist Member
Yes. Their web site states that because no NICS check is done for resident permits and WI does, they won't honor VA resident permits. Weird. I don't know of any other state doing this.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
Yes. Their web site states that because no NICS check is done for resident permits and WI does, they won't honor VA resident permits. Weird. I don't know of any other state doing this.

What makes no sense is that even if non-resident Va. CHP applications go thru as NICS check, failing the NICS check for any federal disability that is NOT also a Va. disability does NOT result in denial of the non-resident CHP!

scouser

It has something to do with the background check that Wisconsin requires for reciprocity. The VSP does one check for NR permits and the local checks done for res. permits aren't good enough for Wisconsin.

you're slacking Jim, you should be informing people that the Utah permit class you offer will allow those of us who are VA residents to obtain reciprocity lol

Marco

VA NOT being a Lautenberg amendement state (that goodness!!!!!!)

Might have something to do with VA NOT being a Lautenberg amendement state (that goodness!!!!!!)