• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Windy City gun control tally on Mother's Day

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Criminals just being criminals and not minding their momma.

"Eight people were killed and 41 others wounded in shootings across Chicago during a period of just over 48 hours this weekend. As advocacy groups gathered to call for peace on Mother’s Day weekend, those pleas went unanswered as violence once again plagued communities across the city."

"At least 24 of the weekend’s shootings happened in an eight hour period from Friday night to Saturday morning."

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...hers-Day-Chicago-Shootings-May-378502025.html

Last edited:

Wstar425

Something like 20 or 21 people have been shot lately, at night on the Dan Ryan, mostly truckers. Somebody is firing into the driver's side window, probably from the passenger side of another vehicle which would mean two people at least.

I was down on 900 E 109th street on Wednesday loading some steel. Would not have wanted to be there after dark and I was not too thrilled about being there in the daytime.
Heyjackass.com keeps a pretty good running tally of the doings in the Windy, where they have the best gun control in the nation.

Last edited:

solus

the d@mn ryan has a unique history since it was built...
quote: The Dan Ryan "runs from the Circle Interchange with I-290 near downtown Chicago, Illinois through the south side of the city. It is signposted as both Interstate 90 and Interstate 94 north of 66th Street and only Interstate 94 from 66th Street to 99th Street." It opened in 1962 and was named after Cook County Board President Dan Ryan Jr., who had died the previous year. During the initial construction of the highway, it was generally conceded that the location was chosen in order to "reinforce Chicago's racial boundaries ... [forming] a more effective barrier between the largely black South Side ghetto and the largely white working-class neighborhood of Bridgeport to the west." unquote
http://chicagoist.com/2007/02/20/ask_chicagoist_whats_with_the_highway_names.php

unfortunately, its past 50+ years apparently lived up to its legend(s)...

ipse

Wstar425

I'm down in the Chicago area a couple of times a month, sometimes a couple of times a week. Most of our stops are in a suburb, but whenever you see a Chicago address you know your day is pretty much gonna be crap. It seems like the people are always angry and yelling about stuff. Your truck is always in someone's way, no place to park, the cops are usually the worst, and you end up having to try and back across three lanes of traffic to hit the dock. A regular diet of that place would make me quit. Personally, I'd take LA any time. Your turn signal in Chicago is just notice to let people know how best to screw up your lane change! I personally see no reason for the place to exist.

The SkyWay is I-90 that heads east over into Indiana. I was right in there where I-94 and I-57 split. It's not a good area to be of pale complexion.

That whole Loop area is under construction. I was creepy crawly traffic jam speed of 2-3 mph all the way from when I left up to where 94 merges with 294, about a three hour ride.

Last edited:

Wstar425

Thanks for the website.

We have within the month decided to get an I-Pass and stop using the Dan Ryan.

The I-Pass electronic tolling has really helped the traffic flow. It used to be a major traffic jam ever 8-10 miles when everybody had to stop and pay. Back during the Carter presidency with the 55 mph mandatory speed to conserve fuel, but we're gonna stop all the trucks 8 times around the city. Yeah, that make sense. Now, maybe 5 percent of the vehicles exit to the cash booths.

I'm taking my Mom down to NE Indiana in June, but I come down I-39 to 88 to 355 to 80 normally, sometimes 88 to 294 on the SW corner.

davidmcbeth

Banned
The I-Pass electronic tolling has really helped the traffic flow. It used to be a major traffic jam ever 8-10 miles when everybody had to stop and pay. Back during the Carter presidency with the 55 mph mandatory speed to conserve fuel, but we're gonna stop all the trucks 8 times around the city. Yeah, that make sense. Now, maybe 5 percent of the vehicles exit to the cash booths.

I'm taking my Mom down to NE Indiana in June, but I come down I-39 to 88 to 355 to 80 normally, sometimes 88 to 294 on the SW corner.

Next time keep on going down I-39 to I-80, stop at the Buffalo range, do some shooting and then continue on from there. They have the pit back open? That took them a while.