• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wisconsin Concealed Carry License renewal timeline.....

Wstar425

Got electronic notice of $22.00 renewal payment made for expiration date 02/05/18 at 11:39 am 01/27/18.

License came today 01/31/18, letter dated 01/27/18. So, four days from application to permission slip in my hand.

Website said they had 21 days to review, which would have meant mine might have expired before I got the new one. I also thought it said License would expire 5 years from application, which is why I kind of waited till the end, but expiration date is actually 02/05/23 which is exactly 5 years from the expiration date of the old license. A bit confused but not complaining.

Wisconsin does not have, nor do we need, any such tomfoolery to open carry. We might have been late to the party, but they got a lot of things right for a first effort. At least we’re not Illinois.......

Wstar425

Included with the CCL is a brochure entitled Concealed Weapons License Information with one section covering Law Enforcement contact. Point 6, tell officer you have a license and weapon.

Point 7 tell officer where your “permit” and weapon are located. (Wait!!! I thought it was a license?????)

Wisconsin does NOT have a must inform law, so while this may or may not be a good idea, it certainly is NOT a requirement. I will NOT BE INFORMING, tho I will not lie if asked.

B3280CC6-E155-454B-9B02-A2978691D48B.jpgE733EB2B-4D04-4601-89C4-7CF64E7EA151.jpg

Last edited:

Wstar425

Question caused by reading the officer contact rules:

We are required to show CCL and ID, upon request if concealed carrying. No license or permit for open carry. I don’t quite get how a LEO knows to ask for your CCL if you are concealed?

I’ve never been asked for ID, concealed or open. I would not show a CCL anyhow, if I was open carrying. I don’t even need one, and “might” not have one, and be perfectly legal.

One of those laws that kind of makes me go “huh!”. Open carry, my first response is going to be, What crime do you suspect me of committing? Next up, lacking a valid answer, Why are you detaining me? Has not happened, so can’t tell how it’s gonna work. Finally, Am I free to go? Rinse and repeat as needed

Last edited:

Brian D.

Here in Ohio, no reminder notices have ever been sent out. Unless it's been started up very recently. Wisconsin sounds a lot more on the ball, in that aspect of issuance, anyway.

Wstar425

Here in Ohio, no reminder notices have ever been sent out. Unless it's been started up very recently. Wisconsin sounds a lot more on the ball, in that aspect of issuance, anyway.

I got a notice dated 10/08/17 informing me that my license would expire 02/05/18 with instructions on how to renew, if I desired. I had read some postings about how people must have renewed immediately, then the next expiration date was from that point, meaning they lost nearly three months of time. But, it appears that maybe that has been rectified. So, I waited as long as possible, did not really notice the 21 days to review until I was actually applying, about 10ish days before expiration. Just got busy, and lost track of time. Anyway, it's all good compared to some of the horror stories you read about in other states, providing you disregard the fact that you have to buy a license to exercise your Right in the first place.........

Firearms Iinstuctor

I am sure the state was trying to spread the work load out.

Yes there was a few permits that were issued with change expiration dates that was quickly rectified.