• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wizards point guard Gilbert Arenas stored firearms in his locker

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

The Washington Wizards said point guard Gilbert Arenas stored firearms in his locker at the Verizon Center and that the NBA is investigating the matter.

"The Washington Wizards have learned that Gilbert Arenas stored firearms in a locked container in his locker, unloaded and without ammunition," the team said in a statement. "The Wizards organization and Arenas promptly notified the local authorities and the NBA, are cooperating fully with law enforcement during its review of this matter and will have no further comment at this time."

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/basketball/story/256271.html

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

This is really bad for him - possible felony conviction with jail time - bad had he walked thru DC with the guns en route to a DC gun buy back program he would be 100% legal under DC law.

This guy needs a really good and connected lawyer in DC ASAP.

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

Wanted to get the guns out of the house because of a newborn? Did the new parents realize you do not have to store the firearm loaded and in the crib?

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

It is a sports celebrity, Nothing is going to happen to this guy!!

Remember when the Chicago Bulls were on their multi-season winning streak? I think it was around the 2nd or3rd championship win when Scotty Pippin was pulled overon a traffic stop, and the cop found a loaded pistol in his Range Rover, Amazingly how he never spent any jailtime from that!!
And this happened in IL, I believe it was highland Park IL.

The same rules do not apply for low-intelligence sports celebrities as they do for regular jackoffs like us, it is proven every day!
Watch this case unfold for my statements to be proven.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
It is a sports celebrity, Nothing is going to happen to this guy!!

Remember when the Chicago Bulls were on their multi-season winning streak? I think it was around the 2nd or3rd championship win when Scotty Pippin was pulled overon a traffic stop, and the cop found a loaded pistol in his Range Rover, Amazingly how he never spent any jailtime from that!!
And this happened in IL, I believe it was highland Park IL.

The same rules do not apply for low-intelligence sports celebrities as they do for regular jackoffs like us, it is proven every day!
Watch this case unfold for my statements to be proven.
I would probably agree if the violation took place other than DC. I don't think his celebrity status is going tobuy him much leniency in the District.

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
imported post

My bet is that he gets suspended from the NBA, he spends no time in jail, he pays a fine, and he becomes the spokesperson for the Brady Bunch as part of his community service spewing anti-gun messages to kids (since he is considered a role model).:what:

I remember the story about Scotty Pippen (I am a Chicago Bulls fan). It was a non-story because nothing happened to him. I believe one of the Dallas Cowbows' coaches went through the secure area (metal detector) of an airport with a gun in his travel bag and he didn't spend any time in jail (if I remember correctly).

Celebs are treated different than Joe/Jane public. That's the bottom line! I personally hope he gets the same punishment that I would get if I did the same thing (I won't hold my breath).

The 2nd Amendment... brought to you by Beretta and the number 1791!!:X

GoldCoaster

imported post

Plaxico Burress who shot himself in the leg in Manhattan then went back to NJ for treatment plead guilty to some felony or other, I'm thinking he will do some time, not a lot but enough to send a message.

2A incorporation can't come soon enough.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

These celebrities that get busted for the 2A are either pussies or ex-cons. If I had millions and no criminal record, I'd be hiring Alan Gura to take my case and these traitorous bastards and their patently evil laws all the way to SCOTUS.

ianto94

imported post

If the firearm is registered with DC -- which by the way requires him to be a resident of the District --the situation is storing a registered unloaded firearm in a locked case at his place of employment. Not sure that is a crime. If the firearm is unregistered, DC law makes that a misdemeanor I believe. Transportinga firearm unloaded in a locked container also does not appear to be the crime of carrying a pistol without a license, a felony in the District, and by the way, they will not issue a license. But that does not mean he would not be charged for it.

Smurfologist

imported post

ianto94 wrote:
If the firearm is registered with DC -- which by the way requires him to be a resident of the District --the situation is storing a registered unloaded firearm in a locked case at his place of employment. Not sure that is a crime. If the firearm is unregistered, DC law makes that a misdemeanor I believe. Transportinga firearm unloaded in a locked container also does not appear to be the crime of carrying a pistol without a license, a felony in the District, and by the way, they will not issue a license. But that does not mean he would not be charged for it.

I know he has a home in Great falls, VA and another one in a Los Angeles suburb (Encino, CA). I am not sure what his residence status is, so I won't venture to guess that he is actually a resident of DC (because I can't bring myself to believe that he would bring weapons from Great Falls or Encino to DC, just to get rid of them because he has a small kid in the house). Something stinks to high heaven here. I still say thathe gets suspended from the NBA, he spends no time in jail, he pays a fine, and he becomes the spokesperson for the Brady Bunch as part of his community service spewing anti-gun messages to kids (since he is considered a role model). I guess we will have to wait an see.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

And to think... this team used to be named 'The Bullets'. (It's easier to take a Wizz than take a Bullet...!)

Thundar

imported post

Mike wrote:
This is really bad for him - possible felony conviction with jail time - bad had he walked thru DC with the guns en route to a DC gun buy back program he would be 100% legal under DC law.

This guy needs a really good and connected lawyer in DC ASAP.
Hopefully he can stretch out the case until after the 2ndHeller case. Can't be prosecuted for a law the Supremes say is unconstitutional.:D

Thundar

imported post

KBCraig wrote:
Thundar wrote:
Hopefully he can stretch out the case until after the 2ndHeller case.
So far, there's not a case to stretch.

You are right KB, the 2nd Heller Case (right to bear arms)is still at the Court of Appeals for the DC Circuit. To be heard in January or February I believe.

2nd Hellerwill go to SCOTUS unlessthe MacDonald case rules definitively on bearing arms.

press1280

imported post

Agreed. He'll get a slap on the wrist. If they try to hit him with a big felony, he has the resources to mount a court challenge. And we know DC isn't faring well in court these.

M

McX

imported post

stored in his locker..........well, at least he knew where they were.

Smurfologist

imported post

I just saw something come across the wire on ESPN about Arenas, gambling, pulling a gun on someone (the person's name starts with a "C"), and the NBA investigating it. Did anyone catch that? I am going to try to get more details (more to come). Happy New Year!!:celebrate

Smurfologist

imported post

Smurfologist wrote:
I just saw something come across the wire on ESPN about Arenas, gambling, pulling a gun on someone (the person's name starts with a "C"), and the NBA investigating it. Did anyone catch that? I am going to try to get more details (more to come). Happy New Year!!:celebrate

The guy's name is Crittenton:

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/12731729/wizards-arenas-crittenton-reportedly-pull-guns-on-each-other