• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Would OC'ing a single action 6" 357 showboatting?

1j9l9f0

Banned
Calling in an ethics call. If you got good at quick draw and fire on target single action could you use it in a self defense scenerio? Can you do a quick draw with a ruger super redhawk? Fan back the hammer to single action while drawing then quick draw to fire?

Chief Ten Beers

I carry a single action, and it's one of several that I own. I carry cap and balls, usually an 1858 Remington in .44 cal., but sometimes an 1860 Colt in .44 caliber, and if I use a conversion cylinder with my Remingtons, I then have a .45 Colt. If I carry a true cartridge revolver, then it's either a Uberti 1875 Remington Outlaw in .45 Colt, or a Uberti Regulator first generation Colt in either .45 Colt or .45 ACP. It's either a big bore or a .22 single action. I feel safer with a big bore. :lol: If you're not ashamed to own it, don't be ashamed to open carry it.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

I carry a single action, and it's one of several that I own. I carry cap and balls, usually an 1858 Remington in .44 cal., but sometimes an 1860 Colt in .44 caliber, and if I use a conversion cylinder with my Remingtons, I then have a .45 Colt. If I carry a true cartridge revolver, then it's either a Uberti 1875 Remington Outlaw in .45 Colt, or a Uberti Regulator first generation Colt in either .45 Colt or .45 ACP. It's either a big bore or a .22 single action. I feel safer with a big bore. :lol: If you're not ashamed to own it, don't be ashamed to carry it.

Welcome to OCDO Ten Beers!

I also carry SA revolvers, both cartridge and C&B. I have complete confidence in their ability to do the job. After all most bad guys do not care what type of gun is pointed at them.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Open carry is your primary defense, don't worry about draw speed. Just know how to draw safely.

While my EDC is a full-size 1911, I've often carried my 7-1/2" .45 single-action revolver, sometimes at rallies and picnics.

Chief Ten Beers

Thank you guys for the welcome. :) I belong to several different gun forums, and as far as open carry goes, this is the only forum that really gets it. :D Most of the other forums sort of want to skirt the issue and not really wanting to talk about it in detail. :(

Chief Ten Beers

carolina guy

Thank you guys for the welcome. :) I belong to several different gun forums, and as far as open carry goes, this is the only forum that really gets it. :D Most of the other forums sort of want to skirt the issue and not really wanting to talk about it in detail. :(

Chief Ten Beers

Skirting the issue... ;)

kitty.jpg

Firearms Iinstuctor

Why would one fan back the hammer on a super Redhawk when they are a double action pistol.

You can't fan a double action like a single action anyway. Holding the trigger back and cocking and releasing the hammer only allows the hammer to move and doesn't advance the cylinder

I find using the double action mode on my redhawks faster then using the single action on my Blackhawks.

But I see nothing wrong with a single action being carried if that is what you want.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

I don't even fan my single actions, it's not good for the gun nor for my hand. :)

+1 and it is not that fast unless you are Munden(RIP). In fastdraw though the gun is cocked just before coming out of the holster, but the bullets are wax though. They will sting like heck, but are not fatal. For live ammo I never cock until on target. And I can fire faster single action using off hand thumb faster than most people can fire a DA revolver.

I knew a guy that was so fast with a Winchester 73 that he could empty the tube before the first casing could touch the ground, and hit the gong every time. He was just as fast with his SA revolvers, it sounded just like a semi auto fired rapidly. SASS is good training for carry, safety always comes first, and the targets look like a silhouette, and there is feedback on every shot.

I don't shoot it anymore but recommend it to people who wish to carry a SA for SD.

Chief Ten Beers

+1 and it is not that fast unless you are Munden(RIP). In fastdraw though the gun is cocked just before coming out of the holster, but the bullets are wax though. They will sting like heck, but are not fatal. For live ammo I never cock until on target. And I can fire faster single action using off hand thumb faster than most people can fire a DA revolver.

I knew a guy that was so fast with a Winchester 73 that he could empty the tube before the first casing could touch the ground, and hit the gong every time. He was just as fast with his SA revolvers, it sounded just like a semi auto fired rapidly. SASS is good training for carry, safety always comes first, and the targets look like a silhouette, and there is feedback on every shot.

I don't shoot it anymore but recommend it to people who wish to carry a SA for SD.

Bob Munden was awesome with his skills, and of course, his guns were tricked out in order to preform his stunts. I've never been involved with SASS, or any other cowboy action shooting organizations. I do my shooting and practice here at my house, and I'm more into accuracy than speed. I have looked into SASS, but for now, it just isn't in my budget. It's expensive enough just to buy the guns, ammo, and reloading equipment, much less buying the period correct clothing just to look like I stepped from the pages of the 1870's. :D

WalkingWolf

Bob Munden was awesome with his skills, and of course, his guns were tricked out in order to preform his stunts. I've never been involved with SASS, or any other cowboy action shooting organizations. I do my shooting and practice here at my house, and I'm more into accuracy than speed. I have looked into SASS, but for now, it just isn't in my budget. It's expensive enough just to buy the guns, ammo, and reloading equipment, much less buying the period correct clothing just to look like I stepped from the pages of the 1870's. :D

They are pretty understanding on the clothes. As long as no sneakers are worn leather shoes or boots are acceptable. You could set up at a thrift store for less than 20 bucks. Now the hat might be expensive, but you do not have to wear a hat, just no ball caps are allowed. I notice that tractor supply usually has hats at a decent price. The ammo might be pricey as you will go through 20 rounds pistol(5 each pistol, 10 lever action) each stage, and usually 4 shotgun shells each stage.

Chief Ten Beers

They are pretty understanding on the clothes. As long as no sneakers are worn leather shoes or boots are acceptable. You could set up at a thrift store for less than 20 bucks. Now the hat might be expensive, but you do not have to wear a hat, just no ball caps are allowed. I notice that tractor supply usually has hats at a decent price. The ammo might be pricey as you will go through 20 rounds pistol(5 each pistol, 10 lever action) each stage, and usually 4 shotgun shells each stage.

Well, I'm half way there with the clothes. I do wear cowboy boots, and I have a couple of cowboy hats. I have blue jeans, and I can put on a pair of suspenders, I just don't have any cowboy shirts, but I do have flannel shirts. I handload all of my centerfire cartridges, so that's not a problem. But as far as a shotgun goes, I only own one, and that's a modern Savage over/under, .22 lr over a 20 gauge. I have a lever action Rossi M92 in .45 Colt, so that's no problem there either. Come to think of it, I'm more ready than I thought I am. :monkey I just need to find a SASS here in western Kentucky. :D

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
... I'm more into accuracy than speed. I have looked into SASS, but for now, it just isn't in my budget. ...

You won't enjoy SASS anyway. They are all about looks and speed. The targets are huge and close to make it almost impossible to miss. My friend used to run the Nevada Rangers until the sport changed. He got out of it for this reason. I was just about to get into it, but I'm glad I didn't now. The side matches are the only events that give an edge to the guys who actually know how to use the sights on their guns.

Last edited:

Chief Ten Beers

You won't enjoy SASS anyway. They are all about looks and speed. The targets are huge and close to make it almost impossible to miss. My friend used to run the Nevada Rangers until the sport changed. He got out of it for this reason. I was just about to get into it, but I'm glad I didn't now. The side matches are the only events that give an edge to the guys who actually know how to use the sights on their guns.

Besides that, I've read their rules and regulations, and there's some that I don't agree with. I've watched videos on SASS, and I know about the speed factor, and the guy with the beep box. :lol: Besides, I'd be the slowest shooter, but the one with the most hits on target. I would have to change my name to Chief Slow Shot But Hits Target. :lol::banana:

WalkingWolf

The targets are set at around 10 yards, and the targets are smaller than a silhouette target. This is typical combat shooting distances, and yes the better shooters exhibit both speed and accuracy. It is up to the shooter which one or both they want to concentrate on. This is why it is good for those who wish to carry a SA revolver.

As far as looks, hey they let me shoot. I simply wore jeans a long sleeve button up shirt and a Resistol. Boots were Nam combat boots. The clothing I already had, so it did not cost me anything. Leather can be expensive but then I already owned leather. Guns are a tad more expensive than they used to be though, but they are for any shooting sport.

Some people like it some don't.

Chief Ten Beers

The targets are set at around 10 yards, and the targets are smaller than a silhouette target. This is typical combat shooting distances, and yes the better shooters exhibit both speed and accuracy. It is up to the shooter which one or both they want to concentrate on. This is why it is good for those who wish to carry a SA revolver.

As far as looks, hey they let me shoot. I simply wore jeans a long sleeve button up shirt and a Resistol. Boots were Nam combat boots. The clothing I already had, so it did not cost me anything. Leather can be expensive but then I already owned leather. Guns are a tad more expensive than they used to be though, but they are for any shooting sport.

Some people like it some don't.

I have the guns, all but a shotgun, and if I get that, it would an outside hammer double barrel. I know that the more you shoot, the faster you'll get. It's just the expense of joining SASS that is keeping me from it. I would like to attend a match as a guest and get the feel for it, but I don't know anyone who could get me in.