• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Your Thoughts on Para Ordnance 1911's?

09jisaac

Not entirely true. The guns that Todd Jarrett uses in "Stock" class are Para's, and they have to be, by USPSA regulations, quite literally box-stock. They can have trigger jobs and you can replace the sights, but that's about it as far as customization and tweaking...

You can have the throat/slide polished and a trigger job. Those can potentially really change the feel/handling/reliability of a gun. I don't want to take a gun straight from the gun store to a gun smith to have it where it would shoot reliably or smooth.

USPSA 2004
ISPC: 19.1 Modifications to them, other than minor detailing, are prohibited.
USPSA: 21.4 Action work to enhance reliability (throating, trigger work, etc.) is allowed.

I am not saying he didn't get a production model and put it straight into competition. And I am not saying that para is a bad gun. I am just saying you cannot accurately say that a manufacturer is producing quality goods just because someone famous uses their product.

Xulld

You can have the throat/slide polished and a trigger job. Those can potentially really change the feel/handling/reliability of a gun. I don't want to take a gun straight from the gun store to a gun smith to have it where it would shoot reliably or smooth.

USPSA 2004
ISPC: 19.1 Modifications to them, other than minor detailing, are prohibited.
USPSA: 21.4 Action work to enhance reliability (throating, trigger work, etc.) is allowed.

I am not saying he didn't get a production model and put it straight into competition. And I am not saying that para is a bad gun. I am just saying you cannot accurately say that a manufacturer is producing quality goods just because someone famous uses their product.

Very true, you also cant say from a personal anecdote that a weapon is unreliable. It takes the kind of data collection that we end users just do not have. My own para, rocks, that is all I can add to the conversation but it is just a single anecdotal account.

On that same field I have had several different branded short barrel 1911's give me feeding problems. For me a full size or commander at the smallest is the best options.

It would be interesting if we had some survey data on these factors.

09jisaac

Very true, you also cant say from a personal anecdote that a weapon is unreliable.

No, I am not saying that they are unreliable. The para I have held/shot was a very reliable gun what I shot it. But the trigger was unnecessarily heavy, the slide had very noticeable machining marks and a huge burr and para shipped the wrong magazine with it. When you buy a gun you expect the whole package. Reliability is important but not so much so that I would forget about everything else. Many guns are pushing 100% reliable, why settle for just that.

Xulld

No, I am not saying that they are unreliable. The para I have held/shot was a very reliable gun what I shot it. But the trigger was unnecessarily heavy, the slide had very noticeable machining marks and a huge burr and para shipped the wrong magazine with it. When you buy a gun you expect the whole package. Reliability is important but not so much so that I would forget about everything else. Many guns are pushing 100% reliable, why settle for just that.
Yea I would have been very upset to recv a new weapon in that shape any brand.