• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC OC experience reports

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I've been reading every page of this thread over the last week (up to page 81 now) and thought I'd jump to the front and ask this question. If someone were to pull your handgun from your holster while OC (for the sake of this question, let's just assume they gain possession of your firearm regardless of your retention methods) and use the weapon for criminal activity including murder, are you as the OCer in anyway liable for what happens?

Gun snatches just don't occur. We file such stories under either disproven/false or urban legend.

To look at it logically though - if you vehicle was stolen and then used to rob a bank, do you think you'd be liable?

Put it all in perspective - it is not the tool that causes the problem nor the person previously possessing it. Rather it is the action of the individual who presently uses such to facilitate his crime.

ron73440

Enjoying OC

On Sunday went to Morehead City' Five Guys and Dicks Sporting Goods, no comments or issues, though the worker at Dick's definitely looked at it.

Went to Wal Mart in Havelock on the way home, mentioned to my wife that like I told her, there were no issues, it wasn't until then she noticed I was carrying!

carolina guy

On Sunday went to Morehead City' Five Guys and Dicks Sporting Goods, no comments or issues, though the worker at Dick's definitely looked at it.

Went to Wal Mart in Havelock on the way home, mentioned to my wife that like I told her, there were no issues, it wasn't until then she noticed I was carrying!

Was loading up the pockets to head to Lowes on Saturday, and my 5yo was standing by the door and pointed to my stack of "stuff" and said...cool! I thought he was (as usual) trying to get my cellphone...but he said he likes it when I bring my gun "...because it keeps us safe." Gotta love the little kiddies. 1st time in quite a while that any of the kids have even noticed one of the pistols.

CDT COX

Probably because he never expected a gun owner in the store again after the stunt they pulled following Sandy Hook.

CDT COX

What stunt was that?

Stopped selling AR's and such. Dick's was the first one to jump on that. They screwed Troy Defense http://kitup.military.com/2012/12/statement-troy-industries-dicks.html who had just agreed to supply Dick's with AR's and ramped up their production and found out through the media that Dick's was not going to order any rifles.

^^^^this

glad to see someone from New Bern

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Would presume that Troy had a contract with DSG and as such would think they could suit for specific performance and damages.

ron73440

Out and about, put diesel in my truck(hurts everytime I do) at the Exxon in New Bern and went to Food Lion for a couple of items, nothing was said, not sure anyone noticed.

My wife is still a little nervous, but not worried any more. :monkey

G22shooter

Campaign Veteran
Sat in on a "We The People NC" gathering about the Common Core (more correctly called Communism Core) curriculum for the schools. The gathering was held at the Hibachi Grill & Supreme Buffet in Kannapolis. No issues while carrying.

Fat-fingered from my Samsung Galaxy TAB2...

Jamesm760

Sat in on a "We The People NC" gathering about the Common Core (more correctly called Communism Core) curriculum for the schools. The gathering was held at the Hibachi Grill & Supreme Buffet in Kannapolis. No issues while carrying.

Fat-fingered from my Samsung Galaxy TAB2...

Don't the hibachi places sometimes have foreign or domestic alcohol? o_O

dmatting

Out and about, put diesel in my truck(hurts everytime I do) at the Exxon in New Bern and went to Food Lion for a couple of items, nothing was said, not sure anyone noticed.

My wife is still a little nervous, but not worried any more. :monkey

It would probably hurt more if you filled that tank with gas. I hear yea though - diesel is still about $4/gallon - the wallet cries a little each time we fill up the truck.

FlyBoy276

My neighbors and I recently noticed that an elderly neighbor had not been seen for quite a while, and had cobwebs on her car and between her front door and storm door, so we called the RPD to do a welfare check on her. The first officer that arrived, after asking us some questions about the lady, goes,

Officer: Is that real, or is it like..airsoft or something?
Me: It's real.
Officer: Oh. I asked because the magazine looked like it..eh..nevermind.

:eek: lol. Not another word was said about it, neither by him, or the other 4 units that responded.

P.S.- She was ok. Her home had been broken in to during a past vacation, so she tried to make it look like she was at home when leaving this past time.

Jamesm760

My neighbors and I recently noticed that an elderly neighbor had not been seen for quite a while, and had cobwebs on her car and between her front door and storm door, so we called the RPD to do a welfare check on her. The first officer that arrived, after asking us some questions about the lady, goes,

Officer: Is that real, or is it like..airsoft or something?
Me: It's real.
Officer: Oh. I asked because the magazine looked like it..eh..nevermind.

:eek: lol. Not another word was said about it, neither by him, or the other 4 units that responded.

P.S.- She was ok. Her home had been broken in to during a past vacation, so she tried to make it look like she was at home when leaving this past time.

Sounds like your magazines look fake? o_O

Boger11b

Went to the old autozone I used to work at the other night went and bought a headlight bulb my old co worker told me I could go in the back and get the tools I needed to put it in I was carry my G27 sub compact when all of a sudden this big dude says hey you know you got a gun on your hip I look down and said yea, after that he never said a word to me again but he kept following me around the store staring at my glock and even followed me outside needless to say I kept my eye on him

bc.cruiser

Oc @ wf

Standing in line at my usual Wells Fargo branch waiting to make a deposit. A customer service rep and an older lady were about 3' to my right. I glanced around and saw the lady looking at the 1911 on my hip. She was slightly startled when she realized I saw her looking. I grinned and said "Pretty, isn't it?" She smiled at that and the csr commented that I must get a lot of people looking at the gun. "Not really; I think most people don't even notice it." Nothing further there or at O'Reilly Auto Parts, WalMart, or Food Lion.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Standing in line at my usual Wells Fargo branch waiting to make a deposit. A customer service rep and an older lady were about 3' to my right. I glanced around and saw the lady looking at the 1911 on my hip. She was slightly startled when she realized I saw her looking. I grinned and said "Pretty, isn't it?" She smiled at that and the csr commented that I must get a lot of people looking at the gun. "Not really; I think most people don't even notice it." Nothing further there or at O'Reilly Auto Parts, WalMart, or Food Lion.
Has O'Reilly chaged their policy? Understood that they were a "no guns" organization.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1304888_Oandapos_Reilly_Auto_Parts_Bans_Guns___Fire_Mission.html