• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC OC experience reports

FlyBoy276

Harbor Freight Tools

I just got back from Harbor Freight #97 here in Raleigh. I went to pick up an air compressor tank. I looked at what they had on display for 3 mins before asking an associate a question. She didn't know what to tell me, and called the manager, Randy, to the front to assist me. It took him about 30 seconds to get up front from where he emerged from the back of the store (visible from where I was standing). He did not pass anyone on the way up to me. We speak for a min, him asking me what compressor I have and the fittings included on it, then we have this exchange:

Randy: *very quietly* I have a question. Can you..can you cover up..cover up your gun? I have a LOT of people that are walking around here mentioning your gun, and.. [<--Bull excrement. HE didn't even notice that I had it until minutes in to our convo.]
Me: ..I can't do that, that's illegal.
Randy: And you know you have it cocked, right?
Me: Yes, I do.
Randy: Ok..next time, can you do me a favor and not bring that in?
Me: Is that the view of HF corporate?
Randy: Well, I..I have talked to them, [notice that he doesn't answer my question] but when I..when many of my customers are complaining about it, yes sir, I have to ask you if you can leave it outside for me. There's no reason to bring it in to Harbor Freight Tools, in to the store.
Me: That's your personal opinion.
Randy: No, that's Harbor Freight! I just told you, I talked to them and they told me to ask people.
Me: Well, I will speak to them as well.
Randy: Ok. Absolutely. Mmk.
Me: Is this going to hinder you from assisting m..
Randy: *interrupts and gets louder* ..No, I'm..I'm waiting for your answer! I asked what you have on your thing and you said you didn't know!

He then continues to assist me with my air fitting issue. I never raised my voice or showed any sort of hostility towards him during our interaction, but he seemed pretty pissed that I didn't give him a, "Yes sir, I'll take it outside now, sir!"

I have called the number on their website to speak to customer service, but I keep getting a message about their system being unable to get me to a representative, before it drops the call.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped--
I have called the number on their website to speak to customer service, but I keep getting a message about their system being unable to get me to a representative, before it drops the call.
Harbor Freight could well be the least customer service oriented company with whom you'll ever do business.

Do a Google search and read the horror stories - doubt you'll get any satisfaction, but it's worth trying. Good luck.

Wulf.45

OC'd at Starbucks today, sat and talked with a friend for about an hour, no comments, but a couple eyes. OC'd again tonight after hitting the gym to Sheetz. I was walking in at the same time an LEO was walking out. No problems, he held the door open for me, a "thank you sir", and that was that. Had two frat boy college bros behind me ogling at my 1911. Good day, no issues.

FlyBoy276

Harbor Freight could well be the least customer service oriented company with whom you'll ever do business.

Do a Google search and read the horror stories - doubt you'll get any satisfaction, but it's worth trying. Good luck.

I finally spoke to someone in customer service, who forwarded my information up to someone that hopefully knows what they're talking about. I doubt that anything good will come from the return call, next week (if it ever comes).

carolina guy

I'm more than happy to go browse through the Harbor Freight store in Kannapolis to see what's up.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4

Been in that HF in Kannapolis a few times OC and never even had a sideways look. Wonder if "location" might have more to do with it...Kannapolis vs. Raleigh ??

carolina guy

I won't buy anything "complicated" from them anymore (ie compressors, pumps, electronics, etc) as they will not stand behind it w/o excessive hassle anymore and the quality is hit and miss at best. This might be the reason for the "Harbor Fake" nickname. :)

Jamesm760

Been in that HF in Kannapolis a few times OC and never even had a sideways look. Wonder if "location" might have more to do with it...Kannapolis vs. Raleigh ??

I shopped quite often in the one at Charlotte... Never had a problem there. One time the manager was running a register and we had a quick "what do you carry" conversation.

bc.cruiser

FlyBoy276

I jst got off the phone with the Vice President of sales, and this situation has been resolved. The manager at the Raleigh store was acting out of line. The VP will get in contact with the district manager to make sure everyone that works for HFT stores are educated on the fact that they are to follow state and local law.

67rgtop

Just realized I could carry

I knew it was an open carry state but it never sunk in. I've seen 1 or 2 people carry in the past but today I had two different customers who were open carrying. It finally sunk in after reading/researching tonight and finding this forum.
I live in Duplin and work in Onslow. Hope to make it to Jeff's Burgers one of these times.

I just might have to carry my Ruger P85 Mark 2 tomorrow. :D

Jamesm760

I jst got off the phone with the Vice President of sales, and this situation has been resolved. The manager at the Raleigh store was acting out of line. The VP will get in contact with the district manager to make sure everyone that works for HFT stores are educated on the fact that they are to follow state and local law.

Excellent!!! very glad to hear that! I will now continue to buy cheap tools at HFT!! :banana:

Jamesm760

I knew it was an open carry state but it never sunk in. I've seen 1 or 2 people carry in the past but today I had two different customers who were open carrying. It finally sunk in after reading/researching tonight and finding this forum.
I live in Duplin and work in Onslow. Hope to make it to Jeff's Burgers one of these times.

Welcome to OCDO!! I was the same way, I knew about OC and didn't actually do it until I stumbled on these forums and mustered up enough confidence to do it.:banana:

jag06

Stopped at the Walmart on N Main in High Point a few days ago. Went in the Garden entrance like I normally do since its easier and less people to battle getting in and out. I was headed down the far right wall of the store to the ammo section to see what they had, nothing as usual for the most part but did find some buckshot. There was an employee squatting down doing some stocking on one of the lower shelves on the far wall right at the automotive section just before sporting goods. I saw him look up at me a couple times as I was walking in his direction. As I was almost to him he looked up and said "You're making me nervous." This is as close to the conversion that I can remember:

Employee: "You're making me nervous."

Me: "I'm making you nervous?"

Employee: "Yeah, you're making me nervous."

Me: "How am I making you nervous?"

Employee: "You just are. Because of that (pointing at my Glock)."

Me: "What's wrong with that?"

Employee: "Nothing wrong with it, it just makes me nervous."

Me: "Why does it make you nervous, there won't be any bad guys around while I'm here?"

Employee: He stands there for a couple second thinking then says, "You know, you're right about that."

It been been a long day and this was late in the afternoon so I proceeded to continue on to the ammo section so I could check and then finally head home and eat supper. As I walked down the isle that the ammo is on I could still hear him as he was only 2 isles or so over continuing to repeat 2 or 3 times, "You are right about that." I hope this turned into a positive encounter for him and now he realizes that people open carrying is a good thing.

carolina guy

Welcome!! I would suggest you read the NC Flyer on Open Carry and consider a recording device (phones are good too).

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?101135-North-Carolina-Flyer-March-22-2012

BroadwayJoe

Haven't been on this forum for a few weeks, I went to FL unexpectedly for a family emergency and have had a lot on my plate here but wanted to catch up as I had my best OC experience to date today.

My wife and I went out for a walk with the dog and stopped in at Da Been Espresso in High Point. We go there occasionally but this was my first time since OC'ing. They are dog friendly and always play with my boxer when we go in. There was a LEO in the parking lot and as I have not had any encounters yet while OC'ing, I was a little reluctant to continue and to just turn around. A soon as we walked in, two of the guys immediately came out from behind the counter to pet my boxer.

One of the gentleman looked at me an asked is that a 9MM? Yes sir. A Beretta? Sure is. What can I get you? He asked me about ammo issues, pricing, talked about the dog and just general pleasantries.

On our way out, the guys followed and one said let me show you my piece. We walked to their cars to grab them (cop still sitting in the car in front of the store). As I am standing at the one guys car, him showing me how heavy his 357 was,the cop gets out of his car and starts walking over. In the middle of a parking lot, two guys with guns in their hands, one walking from the other side with gun in hand, hands me his Ruger revolver after showing me it was cleared. LEO witnessing the whole time and all he said was, is it ok if I pet your dog? Sure can, but she will probably jump and slobber you.

We hung out in front for a good 20 mins them all playing with the dog and just BSing about dog stories mostly. Just an unexpected positive experience. As we where leaving, the guy who I think is the owner said, we are gun friendly in here. I said I see that and we greatly appreciate it. I will definitely be visiting them more frequently. About 5 minutes or so after leaving, the cop drove passed and beeped a hello at us.

I OC'd in Harris Teeter on Eastchester the other day, never any issues there, but this was the first time anyone said anything. A couple with their kids next to me at the fish counter started asking me questions, do you have a permit. Told em nope, dont need it. So it is true? Sure is.

Carried at the Starbucks on Eastchester, got a few looks but nobody said anything. Carried at Panera in Kernersville, Walmart in Kville & High Point, several gas stations in the area.

Carried at Auto Zone & Walmart in Wilkesboro no issues. Stopped at several gas stations and convenience stores in Boone & Banner Elk area with no issues. Carried at Food Lion in Banner Elk on Tynecastle as well as a coffee shop in the same center. Nice coffee shop, friendly people and good desserts:)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Haven't been on this forum for a few weeks, I went to FL unexpectedly for a family emergency and have had a lot on my plate here but wanted to catch up as I had my best OC experience to date today.

My wife and I went out for a walk with the dog and stopped in at Da Been Espresso in High Point. We go there occasionally but this was my first time since OC'ing. They are dog friendly and always play with my boxer when we go in. There was a LEO in the parking lot and as I have not had any encounters yet while OC'ing, I was a little reluctant to continue and to just turn around. A soon as we walked in, two of the guys immediately came out from behind the counter to pet my boxer.

One of the gentleman looked at me an asked is that a 9MM? Yes sir. A Beretta? Sure is. What can I get you? He asked me about ammo issues, pricing, talked about the dog and just general pleasantries.

On our way out, the guys followed and one said let me show you my piece. We walked to their cars to grab them (cop still sitting in the car in front of the store). As I am standing at the one guys car, him showing me how heavy his 357 was,the cop gets out of his car and starts walking over. In the middle of a parking lot, two guys with guns in their hands, one walking from the other side with gun in hand, hands me his Ruger revolver after showing me it was cleared. LEO witnessing the whole time and all he said was, is it ok if I pet your dog? Sure can, but she will probably jump and slobber you.

We hung out in front for a good 20 mins them all playing with the dog and just BSing about dog stories mostly. Just an unexpected positive experience. As we where leaving, the guy who I think is the owner said, we are gun friendly in here. I said I see that and we greatly appreciate it. I will definitely be visiting them more frequently. About 5 minutes or so after leaving, the cop drove passed and beeped a hello at us.

I OC'd in Harris Teeter on Eastchester the other day, never any issues there, but this was the first time anyone said anything. A couple with their kids next to me at the fish counter started asking me questions, do you have a permit. Told em nope, dont need it. So it is true? Sure is.

Carried at the Starbucks on Eastchester, got a few looks but nobody said anything. Carried at Panera in Kernersville, Walmart in Kville & High Point, several gas stations in the area.

Carried at Auto Zone & Walmart in Wilkesboro no issues. Stopped at several gas stations and convenience stores in Boone & Banner Elk area with no issues. Carried at Food Lion in Banner Elk on Tynecastle as well as a coffee shop in the same center. Nice coffee shop, friendly people and good desserts:)
Welcome back Broadway Joe.

Nice encounters - the way it should always be :)

Northerner

First time giving a "No Gun = No $" card

After 3 years of carrying both open and concealed (more open for those that know me), I went to Jareds on Capital in Raleigh to have my wife's wedding ring worked on and to replace a watch battery, both of which were bought at Jareds when they first opened. Out of respect for my wife's sister visiting from Ohio, I kept my G23 concealed.

Upon approaching Jareds I see they have stenciled on the door, "no concealed or otherwise while in the store or in the parking lot..." I would have turned around but I promised the wife. I went back to my car and disarmed.

Long story short, when I went back a few hours later to pick up the pieces, I told them that we had bought 2 watches (Swiss and Tag), an anniv. ring (1 C) and set a wedding ring there back when they first opened (~15k). Back then, the no gun signs were not posted. I paid for the work and handed the clerk the "No Guns = No $" card and asked respectfully that he give this to the Manager and that "my business in Jareds stopped after I walk out of this store."

I hope I do not have to give anymore of these cards away.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
After 3 years of carrying both open and concealed (more open for those that know me), I went to Jareds on Capital in Raleigh to have my wife's wedding ring worked on and to replace a watch battery, both of which were bought at Jareds when they first opened. Out of respect for my wife's sister visiting from Ohio, I kept my G23 concealed.

Upon approaching Jareds I see they have stenciled on the door, "no concealed or otherwise while in the store or in the parking lot..." I would have turned around but I promised the wife. I went back to my car and disarmed.

Long story short, when I went back a few hours later to pick up the pieces, I told them that we had bought 2 watches (Swiss and Tag), an anniv. ring (1 C) and set a wedding ring there back when they first opened (~15k). Back then, the no gun signs were not posted. I paid for the work and handed the clerk the "No Guns = No $" card and asked respectfully that he give this to the Manager and that "my business in Jareds stopped after I walk out of this store."

I hope I do not have to give anymore of these cards away.
Take the time to try to turn them around - doesn't really involve much effort. You never know if you don't try.

Jamesm760

Subway in Salisbury, on Jake A.

I went to subway, and 2 female employees were working. One of them asked what I was carrying and I told her it was my Glock 23. The other female individual asked if I have ever shot it, I said "yes I go to the range often. But I've never used it in a real life self defense scenerio if that's what you meant." She then said she recently got shot in a drive-by incident by where she lives. I asked what area was that and she told me it was behind the walmart. I'm new to this town to I still don't know the bad areas, but I moved out of hidden valley in charlotte so it can't be that bad ;) ... I then advised her to look into purchasing a firearm if she lives in a bad area, and she said that she has been thinking about it.

I think that was a pretty positive experience IMO.