• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Got accused of Reckless Endangerment by an LEO...

Gunslinger

Not always. There ARE defects. Two years ago, a jury awarded a man 1.25 Million $ due to a drop fire incident with his Taurus PT111. This apparently happened back in '04 and the current generation PT111's (such as mine) don't do this. Although i haven't been able to find an official statement from Taurus on it. It could have been a defective weapon, but without an official statement we don't know.

Just in case, I plan on doing a drop fire test on mine just like this guy did. Although, with my test i may mark the end of the firing pin as well just to see if it ever strikes the striker block when dropped.

Agree that defects happen with firearms--Remington's latest recall of a shotgun; Ruger's with several pistols. Those are the exception to the general standards of preventing accidental discharge by design.

Gunslinger

True, but what I'd like to see is no contact whatsoever with the primer. And as for whether or not the firing pin makes contact with the striker block is just curiosity as to whether a drop even causes the firing pin to release.

I wouldn't imagine any manufacture tests every one. I guarantee you they don't drop every brand new pistol they make onto a hard surface to see if it fires. Not to mention, just dropping it once isn't conclusive. Proper testing takes a little bit of time, which costs money.

I could see a company drop testing with some regularity, but definitely not EVERY SINGLE FIREARM. There is still the possibility of defects.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing in favor of the LEO the OP was talking about. Reckless Endangerment is complete ********.

I'm just responding to some sentiments that ALL modern pistols are drop proof. Nothing is 100%. There is ALWAYS a chance. Claiming there is absolutely no chance makes you seem a little biased.

Like all manufacturers, they test to an AQL. I'm sure it's higher than most industries, but not 100%.