• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Viral video: Judge William Adams beating the h*ll out of his daughter

slowfiveoh

slowfiveoh, if you paid for the religious education, I'd ask for a refund.

Paid quite a bit, yeah. Absolutely well spent money. :)

Wait a minute.....you aren't Christian by chance now are ya?

I mean, it would be crazy if you were and you were unhappy with my take on Christianity and were trying to insult me.... :lol:

frommycolddeadhands

I'm not going to multi-quote that long post just to make a longer one. Here's the answers to your questions, yet again...

1) Was God evil for killing the firstborn sons of Egypt?

No, because God gives life to us all and takes life from us all (unless we're murdered by another person, in which case man's free will has yet again screwed the pooch). The thing to remember while God is doing all that smiting in the Old Testament, is that Jesus is on deck to come and sacrifice himself on the cross so that all those people from the beginning of time (including the OT through til today) can be redeemed and enter heaven everlasting.

So, God gives life, God takes life, God sacrifices his son because human beings can't follow simple instructions, then God gives everlasting life in a paradise to a bunch of sinners who don't really deserve it in the first place. Yeah, I can see how all of that redemption and forgiveness totally smacks of evil......

That is why it is important to understand how the New Testament affects the Old Testament, for the billionth time.

2) Is God a racist?

Seeing as how God created all men of all different colors, and offers salvation to those of all races, no. God is not a racist, despite what fantasies you have of Israelite superiority in the Bible. They were no more immune to a schwacking when they stepped out of line than any of the other races, and again it still ends with paradise.

3) Is the Bible 100% infallible?

No, it was written by men, an is therefore imperfect. I've never said any different, and in fact have already said this at least twice on this thread alone. Did the message that God want to get through to us get through to us? I guess we'll have to find out from God when we see him, but the Christian answer is yes, the message is sound even if the means of delivery is flawed.

4) Did Christianity take stuff from pagan religions?

Yes, obviously. The Easter Bunny has nothing to do with Christ's Resurrection. Christ's birthday is likely not the 25th of Dec, and decorating fir trees is a pagan custom. It's common knowledge that the early church adopted these customs to make it easier for Pagans to convert. The first documented evidence of this is in GAL chapter 5, where they allow converts go uncircumsized so that they might find salvation through Christ.

And the fact that we decorate trees on the wrong day doesn't invalidate the message that Christ preached.

5) Is it possible that Zeus or Odin or any other diety is actually the one true God?

Sure, it's possible. Anything is possible. It's just not what I believe.

So there you go. Simple and easy.

ADDED: Almost forgot 6) Do Christians hate Homosexuals and should devout Christians want to kill them?

No, for the billionth time. Christ's sacrifice on the cross means the death penalty called for in the Old Testament is no longer required to atone for sin. And Christ commanded his disciples to "Love one another as I have loved you". "Do not judge, lest ye be judged.." "Love thy neighbor" and although I already put it in another post some time ago "Let he who is vile continue to be vile, let him who does evil continue to do evil, let him who is righteous continue to be righteous, and let he who is Holy continue to be Holy"

So, if someone is a homosexual- let them know it's a sin (in case they didn't) and once you've planted the seed let them do their thing. If they are aware that they're sinning and decide to do it anyway **shrug** pray for their salvation and move on.

Last edited:

MilProGuy

Wow!

I've read more blasphemy than I care to on just this one page of the thread.

You guys can have this one...gotta' get out...the stench of blasphemy is overpowering.

Daylen

Wow!

I've read more blasphemy than I care to on just this one page of the thread.

You guys can have this one...gotta' get out...the stench of blasphemy is overpowering.

Not much on others having freedom of thought? Though I must say this thread just gets weirder...

SourKraut

Slowfiveoh, Paine was THE man that kindled the American Revolution. Even though Paine rejected organized religion, he still believed in God.

If I recall correctly, he really liked Psalm 19 paraphrased into verse by Addison-

The spacious fimament on high,
With all the blue eternal sky,
And spangled heavens, a shining frame,
Their great original proclaim.
The unwearied sun, from day to day,
Does his Creator's power display,
And publishes to every land,
The work of an Almighty hand.
Soon as the evening shades prevail,
The moon takes up it's wonderous tale,
And nightly to the listening earth,
Repeats the story of her birth,
Whilst all the stars that round her burn,
And all the planets in their turn,
Confirm the tidings as they roll,
And spread the truth from pole to pole.
What thuogh in solemn silence all
Move round this dark terrestrial ball.
What through no real voice, nor sound,
Amidst their radiant orbs be found,
In reasons ear they all rejoice,
And utter forth a glorious voice,
Forever singing as they shine-
The Hand That made us is Divine.

I had to look up the Addison.:uhoh:

georg jetson

I'm not going to multi-quote that long post just to make a longer one. Here's the answers to your questions, yet again...

No, because God gives life to us all and takes life from us all (unless we're murdered by another person, in which case man's free will has yet again screwed the pooch). The thing to remember while God is doing all that smiting in the Old Testament, is that Jesus is on deck to come and sacrifice himself on the cross so that all those people from the beginning of time (including the OT through til today) can be redeemed and enter heaven everlasting.

So, God gives life, God takes life, God sacrifices his son because human beings can't follow simple instructions, then God gives everlasting life in a paradise to a bunch of sinners who don't really deserve it in the first place. Yeah, I can see how all of that redemption and forgiveness totally smacks of evil......

That is why it is important to understand how the New Testament affects the Old Testament, for the billionth time.

2) Is God a racist?

Seeing as how God created all men of all different colors, and offers salvation to those of all races, no. God is not a racist, despite what fantasies you have of Israelite superiority in the Bible. They were no more immune to a schwacking when they stepped out of line than any of the other races, and again it still ends with paradise.

No, it was written by men, an is therefore imperfect. I've never said any different, and in fact have already said this at least twice on this thread alone. Did the message that God want to get through to us get through to us? I guess we'll have to find out from God when we see him, but the Christian answer is yes, the message is sound even if the means of delivery is flawed.

Yes, obviously. The Easter Bunny has nothing to do with Christ's Resurrection. Christ's birthday is likely not the 25th of Dec, and decorating fir trees is a pagan custom. It's common knowledge that the early church adopted these customs to make it easier for Pagans to convert. The first documented evidence of this is in GAL chapter 5, where they allow converts go uncircumsized so that they might find salvation through Christ.

And the fact that we decorate trees on the wrong day doesn't invalidate the message that Christ preached.

5) Is it possible that Zeus or Odin or any other diety is actually the one true God?

ADDED: Almost forgot 6) Do Christians hate Homosexuals and should devout Christians want to kill them?

No, for the billionth time. Christ's sacrifice on the cross means the death penalty called for in the Old Testament is no longer required to atone for sin. And Christ commanded his disciples to "Love one another as I have loved you". "Do not judge, lest ye be judged.." "Love thy neighbor" and although I already put it in another post some time ago "Let he who is vile continue to be vile, let him who does evil continue to do evil, let him who is righteous continue to be righteous, and let he who is Holy continue to be Holy"

So, if someone is a homosexual- let them know it's a sin (in case they didn't) and once you've planted the seed let them do their thing. If they are aware that they're sinning and decide to do it anyway **shrug** pray for their salvation and move on.

fmcdf... you ARE indeed a GOOD Christian... if that means anything to you coming from a bad Christian. :)

I hope I have time this week to get this thread back on topic. There's unfinished business.

Tawnos

Oh-kay. Well how about a respected secular source?

http://www.archaeology.org/online/features/jeremiah/index.html <-- Archaeologists find that the events in the book of Jeremiah are also found in the records of the Assyrians
http://www.archaeology.org/9801/abstracts/ekron.html <-- Archaeologists find the biblical city of Ekron and also find the names of the kings listed in the Bible, which again gives some credence to the Bible's ability to remain accurate through the centuries.
http://www.archaeology.org/9607/newsbriefs/sodom.html <-- Archaeologists inside the biblical city of Sodom offer scientific theories as to what calamity befell the city.(I believe they say it was a tsunami or an earthquake in this one, but I only skimmed the article.

Enjoy, let me know what you think.

Not very impressed. The first link was from an intern at the non-peer-reviewed magazine, which you're conflating with the American Journal of Archaeology, the peer-reviewed journal published by the Archaeological Institute of America (and the actual respected secular source). The citation in that article takes the dreaded "question mark lets you make up anything you like" approach to the headline. A quick summation of the answer to the article's title's question is "no, not really."

The second link is at least somewhat better, but I think it's quite a stretch to say that one example of getting it right is evidence that the overall document is right in a whole and meaningful manner. As pointed out earlier, there is evidence of significant history that was fabricated from whole cloth.

The third link is total fluff. It's unpublished, uncited, and is more a speculation of a way that a city on the edge of the Dead Sea might have been destroyed. I also point out that even the editor acknowledges that the Biblical stories were often myths used to explain a world that was not well understood.

Basically, I do agree that there may be some historical accuracies, but I contend the Bible is not a reference on historical antiquity. Much like a historical fiction, the accurate bits cannot be reliably separated from the rest of the noise.

slowfiveoh

Thanks for clearing up your position on this.

So essentially if an omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient being decides to kill infants for no reason, that's his prerogative. I view it as disgusting and trivial for an eternal, all-powerful being to kill infants, to order raping, murdering, and stealing at his behest, and then claim that it is acceptable for him to do so, because whether good or bad, God can do what he likes.

I don't even think you are aware of what you are saying here. You are stating that the New Testament somehow categorically relieves all of the evil, wicked things God did in the Old Testament simply by offering up Jesus as the one-size-fits-all solution to Gods responses to purported wickedness.

There is no relief here for particular directives, such as killing homosexuals.

It is interesting to read the differentiation of Marcionite Christianity (Marcionism), which was supreme for many hundreds of years, and the transition to Pauline Christianity. Marcionism identified the cruelty, tyranny, and evil of the Hebrew God, and instead claims that the deliverance of Christ was from the true God and not that of the Old Testament, as that God was vile and wicked.

Only Pauline Christianity views God as the "same", only with a "change of heart", and that message was only spread over a great deal of time and effort, to include military might, by the Pauline sect.

Even in the ancient world people were not gullible enough to believe that an evil, infant murdering, rape and murder condoning God could not be anything other than a tyrant and, more importantly, pure evil.

Tertullian was one of the primary literary opponents of Marcionism, and after the forceful spread of Pauline Christianity, the original Marcionist texts were "lost". How convenient.

Interestingly, one can deduce Marcionism simply by reading the criticisms of Tertullian. Kind of backwards reconstruction.

Like any other "good religion", it finds its primary influence and sinks in its teeth by bedding down with power. Indeed, Constantines revision of Rome was the launching pad for Pauline Christianity. Prior to this, Judaism by itself was viewed by many as a malicious, merciless religion with a evil, wicked, tyrannical God.

It is no coincidence that even shortly after the time of Jesus crucifixion, high level scholars and priests noted the distinct, empirical difference between the Hebrew God in Judaism, and the warm, loving, caring God depicted by Christs message. In fact, they (the God of Judaism, and the God depicted by Christ) are in such contrast, that the separation of Christianity from its Hebrew roots is only natural. It is only the forced, oppressive existence of Christianity in government, and its spreading commonality that make it so prevalent in the modern world.

See, you espouse all this jibber jabber about how the "New Testament affects the Old Testament", without any source of historical perspective. It is as if John Gotti all of a sudden showed up to proclaim he would no longer do evil things, and then started working at a nursing home. We understand that he may be trying to do good now, but his history is not unaccountable, and is certainly unavoidable.

If you claim that the New Testament "alters" or "absolves" the evil acts of the God of the Old Testament, then you are simply urinating into the wind, all over yourself with an unsubstantiated claim that somehow Jesus death wiped the sins of his father clean as well.

The statements I have made have historic referendum dating back to the period just after Christs death. I will not hold your hand, but I will give you references.

You may also wish to look up Paulicianism.

2) Is God a racist?

He creates men and woman of all shapes, sizes and colors, then states that only the Hebrews were his people. Gotcha. Preferentialism based on genetic origin is pretty damned racist, regardless of what brush you pull out of your basket to paint with.

This perspective may be the best tool to suit you in your quest for the truth, even though you seem to have made your mind up already, even knowing that the Bible is extremely fallible.

Such an outlook lends to you being a liberal Christian, as opposed to a conservative one.

Another term would be "softcore".

Admitting all of these things, is it not apparent, directly, that the Bible literally stole rituals and ceremonies from other religions, therefore its entire credibility is in question?

I am not merely speaking about Easter bunnies and Santa Claus, or any trees here. I am talking about the "concessions" Christianity made during the reign of Constantine wherein they essentially said, "Hey, all of these pagan Roman feasts and rituals, yeah they're now Christian". Then there are those rituals that are exact derivations of Pagan rituals. Such as:

- The parable of Jesus is almost an exact recreation of the story of Attis. The dates of their death and rising from the dead are/were celebrated on the same days exactly.
- Baptism was used in Mithraism as well as Christianity. The purpose, and proclaimed effect, are the exact same. Symbolic, spiritual rebirth. Prior to this it was a Pagan act wherein one descended into a pit, and was covered by the hot blood of a bovine, baptised in its "cleansing blood", and washing away the sins and infidelities of the individual being baptized.
- The "Blessing Way" is an ancient pagan ritual where one washes the feet of a pregnant woman to wish good will and blessings upon her. It did not originate as "Christian", but like everything else from every other religion, it certainly adopted it for its own uses.

This list is rather extensive, and for historical purposes very pertinent to the originality of a professed religion. It seems that Christianity and Judaism are both guilty of transitioning Pagan activities to suit their needs, or in demographics where individuals were afraid or uneasy in abandoning their old traditions. Christianity simply said, "Hey here ya go, you can do this in Christianity too!". This made the spread of Christianity easier for the masses and mixed demographics to swallow. This is particularly true in Rome, where we see the expansionism of Christianity primarily because of the emperor changing the official religion to Christianity. Essentially, the "divinely inspired" Christian rituals used to emphasize any sort of spiritual importance through symbolization are merely copies of other religions at the time. That's actually quite comical if one stops to think about how cheap it makes the acts mentioned in the Bible.

Constantines purposes for changing the state religion are personally derived as a matter of historical fact. It is interesting how this spread, forcefully, from the edict of the Roman emperor himself.

This kind of activity we would eschew in modern society, as the forceful injection of any religion into government is poison, as has been proven historically. So then, the spread of Christianity was exacerbated by its nomination at the behest of Constantine. Before then, it was another puddle on the great plains of religious belief, and certainly not the biggest.

Not terribly insightful, nor substantiated, but I will respect your right to believe what you want.

As covered by me, now extensively, and by many others, the dismissal of the evil acts and orders of the Jewish God is dependent upon the level of devoutness practiced by the specified Christian. I have friends who are of varying degrees, Christians. I have those who many who would say are "Sunday Christians", engaging in infedility and acts of lavishness and libido on a weekly basis to play "Pure, and Christlike" on the weekend. I also have those who are 4 year graduates of various Christian colleges, with Bachelors and Masters degrees in Biblical Study. (Two of them hail from Tennessee Temple if you are wondering just "what schools" are teaching this kind of doctrine.)

The "Sunday Christian" adopts much a perspective as you do.

"Oh well, Christ is cool, he forgives, God is loving yay!"

One of my buddies is a devout, hardline Christian, who believes fervently in the Old Testament as well as the New. His perspective is still one of selectiveness in what he wishes to apply to his life, but it is clearly more true to Old Testament values and beliefs than simply reiteration and rereading of the the New Testament until he smiles.

So the dividing line between what you believe is as various as the denominations, but from the historical, and scientific perspective, there is no absolution in the New Testament of the vengeful, wicked, hateful, jealous, corrupt, tyrannical God of the Old Testament. None whatsoever, unless you want to wish it there in the same vein as pink unicorns and fairies.

Both have just as much prevalence as any statement that the New Testament affects the Old in a manner that justifies, or even articulates meaningfully, the wicked acts of the Judaic God.

Good luck with that though!

Slowfiveoh, Paine was THE man that kindled the American Revolution. Even though Paine rejected organized religion, he still believed in God.

If I recall correctly, he really liked Psalm 19 paraphrased into verse by Addison-

The spacious fimament on high,
With all the blue eternal sky,
And spangled heavens, a shining frame,
Their great original proclaim.
The unwearied sun, from day to day,
Does his Creator's power display,
And publishes to every land,
The work of an Almighty hand.
Soon as the evening shades prevail,
The moon takes up it's wonderous tale,
And nightly to the listening earth,
Repeats the story of her birth,
Whilst all the stars that round her burn,
And all the planets in their turn,
Confirm the tidings as they roll,
And spread the truth from pole to pole.
What thuogh in solemn silence all
Move round this dark terrestrial ball.
What through no real voice, nor sound,
Amidst their radiant orbs be found,
In reasons ear they all rejoice,
And utter forth a glorious voice,
Forever singing as they shine-
The Hand That made us is Divine.

I had to look up the Addison.:uhoh:

Let me introduce you to the real Thomas Paine:

"It is from the Bible that man has learned cruelty, rapine and murder; for the belief of a cruel God makes a cruel man." - Thomas Paine

"The Bible: a history of wickedness that has served to corrupt and brutalise mankind." - Thomas Paine

"Whenever we read the obscene stories, the voluptuous debaucheries, the cruel and torturous executions, the unrelenting vindictiveness, with which more than half the Bible is filled, it would be more consistent that we called it the word of a demon that the Word of God. It is a history of wickedness that has served to corrupt and brutalize mankind; and for my own part, I sincerely detest it, as I detest everything that is cruel." - Thomas Paine

"As to the Christian system of faith, it appears to me as a species of atheism -- a sort of religious denial of God. It professed to believe in man rather than in God. It is as near to atheism as twilight to darkness. It introduces between man and his Maker an opaque body, which it calls a Redeemer, as the moon introduces her opaque self between the earth and the sun, and it produces by this means a religious or irreligious eclipse of the light. It has put the whole orbit of reason into shade." - Thomas Paine

"Yet this is trash that the Church imposes upon the world as the Word of God; this is the collection of lies and contradictions called the Holy Bible! This is the rubbish called Revealed Religion!" - Thomas Paine

I don't normally do this, but:

images

Last edited:

SourKraut

Once again, reading IS awsome!But, you gotta read the whole thing.

To say that Paine did not believe in God would be to call him a liar too-

I believe in one God, no more; and I hope for happiness beyond this life. I believe in the equality of man; and I believe that religious duties consist in doing justice, loving mercy, and endevoring to make our fellow creatures happy.

But, lest it should be supposed that I believe in other things in addition to these, I shall in the progress of this work, declare the things I do not believe, and my reasons for not believing them.

I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish church, by the Roman church, by the Greek church, by the Turkish church, by the Protestant church, nor by any church that I know of. My own mind is my own church.- from
The Age Of Reason, by Thomas Paine 1774

Paine goes on to explain that a church is a human invention, and suspect to human frailities, much in the same way that science is a human invention, and could not create anything. So, although he was definitely NOT Christian, Paine was not an athiest either.

Edit: You don't know Paine, you don't know Paine at all.lol

Last edited:

slowfiveoh

Once again, reading IS awsome!But, you gotta read the whole thing.

Do not bite your tongue off in spite of your face. I absolutely love Paine and assure you, especially after reading your response here, that it is you that is confused. Not least of which, is your embarrassing attempt to parallel Thomas Paines belief with tenets of Christianity, or to in any way imply there is no irony in your signature line.

To say that Paine did not believe in God would be to call him a liar too-

I believe in one God, no more; and I hope for happiness beyond this life. I believe in the equality of man; and I believe that religious duties consist in doing justice, loving mercy, and endevoring to make our fellow creatures happy.

But, lest it should be supposed that I believe in other things in addition to these, I shall in the progress of this work, declare the things I do not believe, and my reasons for not believing them.

I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish church, by the Roman church, by the Greek church, by the Turkish church, by the Protestant church, nor by any church that I know of. My own mind is my own church.- from -
The Age Of Reason, by Thomas Paine 1774

Paine was indeed a model of critical thinking. I very much enjoy reading whatever I can from The Age of Reason. There is much to glean there. (Do you know where and what "glean" is derived from without Googling it? I betcha don't. Another tidbit from my religious education. ;) ) Out of all the framers I believe he is the most articulate at expressing his position so that those from many ages may understand it. I believe him to be the most capable of abstract thought as well. I also enjoy Jefferson and Poor Ben.

Paine goes on to explain that a church is a human invention, and suspect to human frailities, much in the same way that science is a human invention, and could not create anything. So, although he was definitely NOT Christian, Paine was not an athiest either.

How wonderfully articulate of you, if only you knew what you were talking about, and/or you were not trying to make a straw-man to defeat.

I never specified Thomas Paine was an Atheist. He was certainly Deist, as were many of the founding fathers. One may also accurately portray him as being Agnostic.

The delicious irony in your quote is of a man who may have believed in the existence of a "Supreme Being", or "One God", but certainly did not in any way believe the Bible to even be a word of God as it claims to be. This is of course underscored by the Bible verse you put above it.

There is irony there unless you choose to ignore it.

You're attempting to simultaneously associate Paines belief in some form of God, with that of promoting Christianity. The fact is Paine despised Christianity as portrayed in the Bible. He absolutely viewed the Christian and Judaic God to be a foul, repugnant, wicked creature resembling a demon.

Paine is probably laughing at this somewhere if there is indeed an afterlife. Of course, now that I have said "afterlife", you will immediately infer that the only "afterlife" is that which is portrayed in the book he despised, the Christian Bible.

I hope he is swilling celestial mead with Odin, Thor, Zeus, and Jesus. Maybe they go clubbing on the weekends. I'm betting Paine can talk a woman into the sack in under 2 minutes in a conversation using terms she doesn't even understand.

Edit: You don't know Paine, you don't know Paine at all.lol

What a wonderfully articulated argument as to how I "do not know Thomas Paine at all".

Now that you have simply declared victory in spite of looking stupid, would you like to have a conversation about Common Sense, or perhaps about Paines life?

He is absolutely my favorite framer! I would love to talk about him!

Last edited:

frommycolddeadhands

So essentially if an omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient being decides to kill infants for no reason, that's his prerogative.
I don't even think you are aware of what you are saying here. You are stating that the New Testament somehow categorically relieves all of the evil, wicked things God did in the Old Testament simply by offering up Jesus as the one-size-fits-all solution to Gods responses to purported wickedness.
He creates men and woman of all shapes, sizes and colors, then states that only the Hebrews were his people. Gotcha. Preferentialism based on genetic origin is pretty damned racist, regardless of what brush you pull out of your basket to paint with.
Fine, lets examine the this Old Testament God who you find so repulsive:

God created man and put him in the Garden of Eden- which was a paradise in which there was no death. This was the original intent for mankind .
Man used his free will to screw that amazingly good thing up, violated God’s commandment about eating the fruit, and had to be exiled, which set off a whole chain reaction of effects. One being that sin and death were brought into the world, which was not part of what was intended for mankind in creation.

God didn’t bring sin and death into the world, man did.

Then mankind continued to screw things up by forgetting all about God, performing volatile and wicked acts that eventually got so heinous that God had to put the handful of righteous people still in existence on a boat and hit the ‘reset’ button with a worldwide flood
Now civilization as we know it is restarted with good people who spread and multiply, and mankind eventually goes right back to the same volatile and heinous acts that caused the flood in the first place.

So now God finds a man named Abraham, who is righteous, and tests him to see if he’s willing to give up his son for the love of God (remember, later, God does give up HIS Son for the love of man). Abraham passes the test, God spares his son because he really didn’t want the innocent boy harmed.
He makes a covenant with Abraham that can be passed down through his descendents. That is why the Hebrews are called ‘Gods people’ throughout the Old Testament, because they are the only ones actually keeping faith with the covenant God made with man.

God didn’t exclude the rest of mankind. Mankind turned their back on God, yet again. This theme of disregarding God’s commandments and then being shocked that there are negative consequences runs throughout the Old Testament.

Now, apparently you read the Old Testament and say to yourself “Oh man, this God fellow was a *****, look at all the bad stuff that happened!” and completely omit that it was man’s rebellion against God that a) took us out of the paradise he had originally put us in b) introduced death and sin into the world and c) makes in necessary for God’s wrath to come down and vanquish the evil that man has created.

I have no doubt that I haven’t changed your mind about any of this in the least, as your mind has already been made up, but your idea that Christians think that God is evil, and somehow simply ignore this fact by focusing on Jesus, is wrong. God isn’t evil, mankind is simply wicked. Despite our flaws he continued to love mankind and eventually gave up his son in order to pay for the rest of our sins.

I dunno. Maybe calling God a racist murdering bigot makes you more comfortable in your own beliefs. If that’s what your take-away from the Bible was, I really don’t know what to say, other than you read the story, but didn’t understand the message. The OT isn’t about God’s wrath, it’s about God’s love for mankind and the struggle of people to eventually get back to the paradise that he had planned for us

Which is then fulfilled in the New Testament.

There is no relief here for particular directives, such as killing homosexuals.

The parable of the sower (Matt 13:3) and the parable of the weeds (Matt 13:24) make it pretty clear what Jesus’s stance was. The wheat is the good people, the weeds are the bad people. Should we pull the weeds? No, because it would ruin the wheat as well. Instead wait until harvest time (judgment day) and the wheat and weeds can be pulled together. The wheat will be saved, the weeds will be destroyed. It is explained again in Matt 13:37-44, Mark 4:13, and again without the parable in Matt 25:31-34.

So no, killing sinners is no longer a responsibility of man. Instead let them go on living in sin if they chose, and at the end times God will separate the sinners from the righteous. This theme is re-iterated again in Rev 22:11 which states “Let him who does wrong continue to do wrong; let him who is vile continue to be vile; let him who does right continue to do right; and let him who is holy continue to be holy."

Christians are also told not to judge other sinners harshly, as we are sinners ourselves. (Luke 6:37)

Add in the “love your neighbor as yourself” (Matt 22:42) and the “let he who is without sin cast the first stone” decision in John 8:7

So there is your relief for why we don’t have to kill people for breaking God’s law. God is going to separate us out by his own judgment at the end times. Until then those sinners have time to repent.

Such an outlook lends to you being a liberal Christian, as opposed to a conservative one. Another term would be "softcore".
The "Sunday Christian" adopts much a perspective as you do.

Call it whatever you want. The New Testament scriptures and the teachings of Jesus make it perfectly clear that we aren’t supposed to kill people for sinning, otherwise we’d all be dead.

I’ll leave the hatred and murder to the ‘hardcore’ Baptists at Westboro

Admitting all of these things, is it not apparent, directly, that the Bible literally stole rituals and ceremonies from other religions, therefore its entire credibility is in question?

Is the entire Bible and its message invalid because the 1st century church adopted pagan traditions in order to spread the faith? No. The message of salvation in the Bible remains intact, regardless of whether or not Christians decorate fir trees in December or not. The celebration in Christianity remains focusing on the celebration of their savior, his death and rebirth.

The parable of Jesus is almost an exact recreation of the story of Attis. The dates of their death and rising from the dead are/were celebrated on the same days exactly.

Attis was a Greek character who was the son of Zeus and who’s mother was impregnated by a fruit. He was a sex maniac who the gods decided to punish by castrating him. He later died under a tree. In some versions of the story flowers grew under the tree, in other versions his body was kept from decomposing via a spell cast by Zeus.

Are there similarities that can be drawn? Barely, and it is an extremely far cry from one being an ‘exact recreation’ of the other.

And the date of Christmas and Easter has already been addressed.

-
Baptism was used in Mithraism as well as Christianity. The purpose, and proclaimed effect, are the exact same. Symbolic, spiritual rebirth. Prior to this it was a Pagan act wherein one descended into a pit, and was covered by the hot blood of a bovine, baptised in its "cleansing blood", and washing away the sins and infidelities of the individual being baptized.

Mithraism surfaced around the 2nd century AD. Jews and other pagan religions were using water as a source of purification long before them, and even John the Baptist was active in the 1st century. As you noted the Mithraism version of this involved slaughtering a bull and having it’s blood spray down upon a person. The purpose of this ceremony is presumption at best, seeing as how the Mithraic Cults were a Greek mystery cult and kept no written records. What we know of them comes mostly from pottery and engravings, much like the other mystery cults of the time (Cult of Hercules, Helen, etc)
The Christian baptism is a completely different ceremony devoid of blood or bulls in which a person is submerged in water. It draws mostly from the Judaic tradition of enveloping converts in water in order to purify them and be reborn under the laws of Moses.

There are a LOT of religions that use water as some form of purification or symbolism. It’s elemental, it has natural purifying properties. Simply because pagans use it doesn’t somehow bar Christians from drawing upon their Judaic roots and the teachings of John the Baptist and using it as well.

One of my buddies is a devout, hardline Christian, who believes fervently in the Old Testament as well as the New. His perspective is still one of selectiveness in what he wishes to apply to his life, but it is clearly more true to Old Testament values and beliefs than simply reiteration and rereading of the the New Testament until he smiles.

Christians are supposed to keep the values of the Old Testament, as it lays out the laws that we are supposed to be living. Christ didn’t take that away, he simply took away the death penalty that was attached to it by giving himself up. Without the OT and an understanding of Judaic Law the NT becomes useless.

Ignoring the Old Testament values is what produces the “Oh everything is permissible” attitude (which is decried against in both Old and New Testaments).
And I’ll wager that your ‘hardcore’ friend who embraces the OT likely isn’t going around serial killing homosexuals, which is what you’ve constantly argued any real ‘hardcore’ Christian should do…

So the dividing line between what you believe is as various as the denominations, but from the historical, and scientific perspective, there is no absolution in the New Testament of the vengeful, wicked, hateful, jealous, corrupt, tyrannical God of the Old Testament. None whatsoever, unless you want to wish it there in the same vein as pink unicorns and fairies.

God requires no absolution as the evil in the world was brought on by man’s sin. Jesus died to take on the sins of mankind. Pink unicorns and fairies need not apply.

Well have a fantastic day. I’m sure you’ve got a lot of Christian hating and religion bashing to go about, so I won’t keep you….

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I can't decide which is dumber: religion, or the debates it inspires.

This thread is providing some evidence, however. Keep it up, and maybe we can finally resolve this great dilemma.

The issue under debate itself, however, will never be resolved.

Last edited:

Tawnos

By your mythology, god creates everything. Ergo, god creates sin.

Then mankind continued to screw things up by forgetting all about God, performing volatile and wicked acts that eventually got so heinous that God had to put the handful of righteous people still in existence on a boat and hit the ‘reset’ button with a worldwide flood
By your mythology, god knows everything. Ergo, god knew this would happen. Also by your mythology, he is infinitely powerful, despite the inherent self-contradiction contained within that. However, assuming it's true, the way this infinitely powerful being fixes things is to drown everything except one family.

Now civilization as we know it is restarted with good people who spread and multiply, and mankind eventually goes right back to the same volatile and heinous acts that caused the flood in the first place.
Which, again, your god knew would happen.

So now God finds a man named Abraham, who is righteous, and tests him to see if he’s willing to give up his son for the love of God (remember, later, God does give up HIS Son for the love of man). Abraham passes the test, God spares his son because he really didn’t want the innocent boy harmed.
Ah yes, Abraham and Isaac, that old tale. Let's look at the basic premise, though. The only way for a perfect being to be pleased by the things it created is for those things to make preparations to murder each other. Alternatively, killing another thing the same being created then burning it makes that being happy.

Mankind turned their back on God, yet again.
Again, something he'd...know would happen, from the start. Also, how does one "turn their back" on a being that is omnipresent?

Now, apparently you read the Old Testament and say to yourself “Oh man, this God fellow was a *****, look at all the bad stuff that happened!” and completely omit that it was man’s rebellion against God that a) took us out of the paradise he had originally put us in b) introduced death and sin into the world and c) makes in necessary for God’s wrath to come down and vanquish the evil that man has created.
All of which would have been known ahead of time by omnipotent being, and correctable by one who is all powerful.

Which is about summed up in this picture
christianity.jpg

The parable of the sower (Matt 13:3) and the parable of the weeds (Matt 13:24) make it pretty clear what Jesus’s stance was. The wheat is the good people, the weeds are the bad people. Should we pull the weeds? No, because it would ruin the wheat as well. Instead wait until harvest time (judgment day) and the wheat and weeds can be pulled together. The wheat will be saved, the weeds will be destroyed. It is explained again in Matt 13:37-44, Mark 4:13, and again without the parable in Matt 25:31-34.
What about Jesus walking into town and killing a tree because it didn't have fruit growing when that fruit was out of season?

I know it's possible to hold these self-contradictory things and accept them. It's a form of doublethink that is prevalent in religion. I did it for many many years, and it wasn't until I tried to actually write down my beliefs in a manner that wasn't internally contradictory and didn't make special pleading that I found myself unable to continue believing the lies. You go right along with the standard subsatisfactory apologetics, the nonsensical claims and special pleadings. The fact is, you have a being described that can supposedly do anything and knows everything that ever is or will be, but whose best solution to problems that come up in the creation it made is to flood it and then symbolically kill and resurrect part of itself.

Last edited:

slowfiveoh

Fine, lets examine the this Old Testament God who you find so repulsive:

God created man and put him in the Garden of Eden- which was a paradise in which there was no death. This was the original intent for mankind .
Man used his free will to screw that amazingly good thing up, violated God’s commandment about eating the fruit, and had to be exiled, which set off a whole chain reaction of effects. One being that sin and death were brought into the world, which was not part of what was intended for mankind in creation.

Incorrect about the origin of sin. "God" is pretty explicit about the origination of sin.

Genesis 1:1 -
"In the beginning, God created the Heaven and the Earth."

Isaiah 45:7
"I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things."

Proverbs 16:4
"The LORD hath made all things for himself: yea, even the wicked for the day of evil."

Lamentations 3:37-38
"Who is he that can speak, and it happens, when the Lord command it not?
Out of the mouth of the Most High proceedeth not both evil and good?"

It is often poorly attempted by Christian scholars to deduce that God did not create sin. They try to state that Sin is the absence of holiness, and that although the Bible in both Testaments states clearly, and plainly that God created all things, that sin is a construct of Satan, who again, is a creation of God. There are whole legions of "Christian experts" dismissing the definition of "evil" by assuming the secondary interpretation of the word , and avoiding all other shining examples where the Hebrew word for Evil, "Rah", is used in its pure form as to describe the contrast of Gods purported creation. That is to say, "evil" as in the opposite of good.

To state that God created all, then to dismiss "Evil" as not tangible and therefore not a creation, is creative underhanded engineering on behalf of backpedaling Christian scholars. You cannot state that God created all things, then state there were things he did not create. This is the core problem with Christianity in its selectiveness of concepts and ideas with which to embrace.

God, as the creator of all things per the Bible, must have also created the opposites of purity and holiness. Without these things, there is no contrast. You either believe God created all things, or you believe God is limited not only in power, but in control. The Bible is clear that God created all things, to include the void in which he existed, prior to the Earths purported creation. If God created all things, then he created every intangible thing we also know and recognize.

This would include concepts, ideologies, perceptions, emotions, temptations, transgressions, and righteousness.

Indeed, Satan was the favorite of all the Angels (More favoritism by an Onnipotent, Omniscient being...), and at that point, of all of Gods creation. Even if you were to try to say that Satan invented Sin, you would be dismissign that God creates all things, and for Satan to introduce Sin, God had to create it first.

Indeed, the presence of the tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil in the garden alone is the sole example necessary to exhibit Gods foreknowledge and absolute creation of the contrast of light and dark, and of good and evil.

The flood is the greatest example of omniscient fallacy. It is stated that God is all-knowing, all-powerful, and ever-present. It is stated that he knows all that will come to pass before it comes to pass.

So the greatest example of fallacy in an all-knowing, future seeing God, is the wanton genocidal destruction of nearly all of humanity save those who cater to his enormous, celestial ego. His insatiable hunger for worship and praise. He states that humanity is "not as it should be", and expresses sorrow and regret for the state of humanity. Anybody with half a brain would realize the questionable nature of an omniscient, omnipotent being who knows everything that will ever happen ever, expressing sorrow for one of his actions. Omniscient, perfect, infallible beings don't have a need for a whiteboard and a big eraser. This is just simple, factual reality, unless God revels in the drowning of his purported children.

It is also whimsical to note that this Biblical tale parallels, as in coincides with tons of other historical tales of a flood, most of which all have their own version of "Noah" and his "Ark". That is to say, specifically, that "Noahs Ark" is actually written after, or simultaneously, with other recorded works noting of a flood and a "divine one", a "chosen man of purity".

Examples of archaeological findings pointing to a global flood are present everywhere, and as a matter of geological record, it is likely that at the end of the pleistocene age, glaciers melted causing a severe elevation in sea levels.

Every religion has a record of the flood and its own version of "Noah". Here let me point them out:

Sumer: The god Enki warns Ziusudra that he intends to destroy mankind, and orders him to build a boat. The flood lasts for 7 days. Ziusadra lives and repopulates the planet.

Babylon: The "Epic of Gilgamesh" involves "Utnapishtim", archaeologically speaking, the character Noah is based off of.

***Note: Both the Sumerian and Babylonian accounts predate the Christian writings of the "great deluge". This is a matter agreed upon by an overwhelming percentage of Biblical and Cultrual archaeologists, even considering Atrahasis (Sumerian origin).***

This leaves over 598 other religious accounts of a great deluge, some of which predate Hebrew recordings on the topic.

This means that the Christian take on the flood is 0.1667% of the total possiblities of what occurred during the great deluge. That's pretty staggering.

#1. An omniscient being "finds" no one.
#2. An omniscient being already knows Abrahams heart completely, and doesn't need to threaten to kill his firstborn to determine Abrahams faith.

An implication to the ulterior directly specifies that the Judaic God is not omniscient.

He makes a covenant with Abraham that can be passed down through his descendents. That is why the Hebrews are called ‘Gods people’ throughout the Old Testament, because they are the only ones actually keeping faith with the covenant God made with man.

An omniscient being makes "covenants" with mortal beings on a far inferior plane. Gotcha.

Then, said "omniscient being" declares that only the "Hebrews" are "Gods people. Naturally, a Hebrew was pushing this particular portion of the Biblical take on ancient Sumerian and Babylonian accounts of creation. This would empower a specific genetic lineage to be the sole "chosen ones." No other religious account limits themselves as the sole people of "God". This is a rather elitist, power hungry act of an individual looking to assert power through divinity. Indeed, this "chosen" mentality pervades through Catholicism to this day.

It is amazingly convenient, amongst of a population of a few hundred million, to state that no other person on Earth, provided the opportunity, was a "person of God", but the Hebrews. The Bible is assessing, in the Old Testament, that every single person not of Hebrew descent, was a sinner, spiting God.

Mathematically speaking, this is exceedingly improbable. Yet, the Bible, certainly written by Hebrews during the writing of the Torah, specifies that the certain authors are the "chosen people of God".

What crass self-anointment.

God didn’t exclude the rest of mankind. Mankind turned their back on God, yet again. This theme of disregarding God’s commandments and then being shocked that there are negative consequences runs throughout the Old Testament.

Wrong. God explicitly outlines that out of millions of people alive at the time, only the Hebrews were capable of devoutness. He likewise did not order mass warning, nor did he engage in missionary tactics a'la the New Testament.

Then, as an omniscient being who sees all and knows all, he is "saddened" by the progress of mankind, a clear and direct implication that he does not see all and know all as implied, as sorrow is avoidable.

I challenge you to find another religious account of the flood and creation wherein said religious recordings express that only people of their lineage are "Gods people". Good luck on this quest.

It is an elitist position of self-anointment engaged in by the authors of the Hebrew bible. The Hebrews.

Figure that one out.

Said "rebellion of man" is recorded strictly by Hebrews as a consequence of not being "Hebrew".

Things that make you say "Hrmmm..."

Consider also that the "paradise" he purportedly put man in, included the concept of free will, and the potential for sin. Satan, another construct of the Hebrew God, as part of his created being, introduces pre-created Sin. Sin, the absence of something, is the contrast necessary to show the presence of something. Absence, much like anything else created, is a necessity of creation by a God who claims to have created everything.

Knowing the fallibility and sequence of events that would unfold far before they did, it is well within Gods power to repeat the sequence until the desired results are achieved.

Instead if recreating the product from the original mold until the product is satisfactory, God allows the population to explode over an extensive period of time, supposedly spit in his face, then he, again, has to use his gigantic whiteboard to fix a problem with his creation.

Fallibility in a purportedly infallible deity.

Logic is the cure for religious piece-meal pragmaticism.

I have no doubt that I haven’t changed your mind about any of this in the least, as your mind has already been made up, but your idea that Christians think that God is evil, and somehow simply ignore this fact by focusing on Jesus, is wrong. God isn’t evil, mankind is simply wicked. Despite our flaws he continued to love mankind and eventually gave up his son in order to pay for the rest of our sins.

I never stated, a single time, that Christians as a blanket think the "God" of the Old Testament is evil. That is your own interjection, and possibly preparation for a straw-man argument.

The reality is that most Christian sermons do focus on the New Testament, as the Old Testament God is excessively violent, graphic, cruel, and wicked in its application of divine power and decision making. As you have repeatedly, compulsively stated, you, and other "modern" liberal Christians, believe that the New Testament directly affects the acts of the Judaic God and his repugnant nature in the Old Testament. The New Testament is used as relief for the egregious acts of the God of the old.

What we have is another example of convenient relief through explanation and explanatory creativity that most Christians who are even remotely learned about the topic of the Old Testament engage in. Its steeped in partiality and vigilant in its resolve to absolve.

As demonstrated by myself and the various students of archaeological truth before me, even early Christians saw the disparity between the callous, wicked, vile and repugnant acts of the Judaic God in the Old Testament as early as the inception of Christianity itself.

This fallacy between the books is not a new concept or topic of discussion.

Christians must repeatedly portray man prior to the flood as the wickedest of all creatures in order to justify the express ordering of God to rape women, murder friends and family while they sleep, and to kill pure infants with no knowledge of God whatsoever for the non-compliance of a full grown, adult king.

Dead babies, killing them is Gods way of saying "DO WHAT I SAY!".

Remember that when you think of dead babies. That's an important lesson.

I dunno. Maybe calling God a racist murdering bigot makes you more comfortable in your own beliefs. If that’s what your take-away from the Bible was, I really don’t know what to say, other than you read the story, but didn’t understand the message. The OT isn’t about God’s wrath, it’s about God’s love for mankind and the struggle of people to eventually get back to the paradise that he had planned for us

The Old Testament is indeed about Gods wrath. It is about demonstrating his power and fury, and the consequences for disobeying him (He kills infants, orders you to rape your enemies, and kill your friends while they sleep. That'll show ya!). It is establishing the "Awe factor", and declaring his all-powerful nature.

This is expounded upon in every book of the Old Testament. It speaks quit literally in contradictive terms. Expressing the love and forgiving nature of God, whilst simultaneously displaying his intolerance and jealousy.

Jealousy is an interesting claim of being when applied against an omniscient being by the way. That is a whole other, very pertinent, but extensive topic in and of itself.

This is a stunning realization by an Omniscient being that he can simply separate the good from the bad on Judgement Day.

I wonder if he could have done this prior to killing millions of people with a worldwide deluge, and simply commanded that you "go forth unto the world, and preach to all the people" about Gods purported magnificence.

So no, killing sinners is no longer a responsibility of man. Instead let them go on living in sin if they chose, and at the end times God will separate the sinners from the righteous. This theme is re-iterated again in Rev 22:11 which states “Let him who does wrong continue to do wrong; let him who is vile continue to be vile; let him who does right continue to do right; and let him who is holy continue to be holy."

Christians are also told not to judge other sinners harshly, as we are sinners ourselves. (Luke 6:37)

Add in the “love your neighbor as yourself” (Matt 22:42) and the “let he who is without sin cast the first stone” decision in John 8:7

So there is your relief for why we don’t have to kill people for breaking God’s law. God is going to separate us out by his own judgment at the end times. Until then those sinners have time to repent.

Through all of this you fail to see the contrast between the wickedness of God in the Old Testament in contrast to his exceeding patience and acceptance in the New. Many of the practices the Christian man-god engaged in were done far prior to his crucifixion. He had not yet paid "the price" to atone for the "sins of mankind", but his conduct was in direct contrast to that of the Old Testament God. If one believes in the Holy trinity then they accept as a matter of fact that Jesus was merely the physical embodiment of God on the mortal plane. The flesh of God.

The story of Jesus Christ is one of thousands of stories accounting a man-god atoning for humanity. Religion it seems was kind of a pop-fair thing during ancient times. Many religions, including Christianity, have similar stories. A large portion of which draw from Sumerian and Babylonian religions.

Indeed in the Tablets of Maklu it is noted, specifically, that water was used for spiritual purification. In ancient Egypt newborn baptism was common. All of these prior to Chrsitianity as well as Judaism.

Again, these are accounts of ritual engaged in by Christians as a divine, holy, Christian/Judaic God derived act, that were merely stolen conveniently from other religions preceding it.

As to the stories of other man-gods, there a many. As you should well know, it is well accepted that Christ died in approximately 77ad. The story of Attis goes as far back, historically, as 1200BCE. There is no doubt that the tale of Jesus Christ and his man-god status, as well as his martyrdom, are not unique in any way.

Call it whatever you want. The New Testament scriptures and the teachings of Jesus make it perfectly clear that we aren’t supposed to kill people for sinning, otherwise we’d all be dead.

I’ll leave the hatred and murder to the ‘hardcore’ Baptists at Westboro

While Westboro seems extremist in their approach, and I loathe them far more than any moderate, they are in fact doing what should be done by being conservative Christians, and taking the word of God literally.

Again, the New Testament shows itself to be a stark contrast to the wicked, vile, cruel creature that is the Old Testament God prior to Jesus death. The easy way to understand this is God has a serious case of multigenerational bipolar disorder.

Is the entire Bible and its message invalid because the 1st century church adopted pagan traditions in order to spread the faith? No. The message of salvation in the Bible remains intact, regardless of whether or not Christians decorate fir trees in December or not. The celebration in Christianity remains focusing on the celebration of their savior, his death and rebirth.

When you are raised, directed, and even read in the Bible itself that it is the "Perfect word of God" (2 Timothy 3:16-17, Matthew 5:18), you realize that you are living a lie once the omissions come out. You have said yourself that the Bible is "God Breathed", but then simultaneously admit to error in the Bible.

In what way is the Bible "Perfect" if it isn't, you know, perfect?

You will undoubtedly try to convey that the imperfect book is a perfect message of salvation, which we know cannot be true whatsoever, because the book is imperfect.

Attis was a Greek character who was the son of Zeus and who’s mother was impregnated by a fruit. He was a sex maniac who the gods decided to punish by castrating him. He later died under a tree. In some versions of the story flowers grew under the tree, in other versions his body was kept from decomposing via a spell cast by Zeus.

Are there similarities that can be drawn? Barely, and it is an extremely far cry from one being an ‘exact recreation’ of the other.

And the date of Christmas and Easter has already been addressed.

"Jesus was a lowly carpenter born of a whore who was impregnated by celestial sperm who hung out with a bunch of sausage that followed him around his whole life. His "Father" was a butcher of whole societies and the cause of weeping mothers everywhere as he killed infants to prove a point. Jesus purported space-daddy made him a zombie after three days of being dead and brought him back to life. He struck the Dogma "Buddy-Jesus" pose as he ascended into heavenland. Some forms of Judeo-Christianity have slightly varying stories of his life, but they vary from denomination to denomination."

See, I can denigrating about the description of history as well, but I don't have to be. As to your history, do you even bother reading everything? Again, I'm not going to hold your hand, but these are things that are absolutely well known truths, or, very well substantiated hypothesis from archaeological digs in regards to Attis:

-The Hilaria, the celebration of Attis resurrection was worshipped on March 25th.
-The Pine Tree (HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYBODY!), was a well accepted symbol of Attis. It is a true parallel to Jesus cross.
-The winter solstice of many religions was worshipped on or about December 25th. Instead of Jesus actual birthday, which should be extremely important if he is the son of the one true God, was conveniently shifted to meet Roman schedules of previous religious festivities.
-Harari refers to Attis from archaeological writings specifically about him, noting that he was specifically "crucified upon a tree".
-Attis resurrection was said to occur after 3 days.
-Attis resurrection brought "salvation"

Interestingly, Dr. Tryggve Mettinger, a professor of Old Testament Studies at the University of Lund admits clearly in his research that the worship of Attis is centuries older than Christianity, and that is is likely the influence for Christian mythology came from the much older religion. (http://www.truthbeknown.com/attis.html)

Mithraism surfaced around the 2nd century AD. Jews and other pagan religions were using water as a source of purification long before them, and even John the Baptist was active in the 1st century. As you noted the Mithraism version of this involved slaughtering a bull and having it’s blood spray down upon a person. The purpose of this ceremony is presumption at best, seeing as how the Mithraic Cults were a Greek mystery cult and kept no written records. What we know of them comes mostly from pottery and engravings, much like the other mystery cults of the time (Cult of Hercules, Helen, etc)
The Christian baptism is a completely different ceremony devoid of blood or bulls in which a person is submerged in water. It draws mostly from the Judaic tradition of enveloping converts in water in order to purify them and be reborn under the laws of Moses.

You are correct in that Mithraism is one of the more historically elusive religions of the world.

The Christian baptism ceremony is only different in methodology, and not purpose.

I could go into Minoan history as well, but you know what has really been acquiesced here by you is the fact that baptism has existed prior to Judaism, and that it is nothing new in Christianity. I'm fine with that. It demonstrates a lack of originality when referencing practices of the Christian faith.

There are a LOT of religions that use water as some form of purification or symbolism. It’s elemental, it has natural purifying properties. Simply because pagans use it doesn’t somehow bar Christians from drawing upon their Judaic roots and the teachings of John the Baptist and using it as well.

The point is that the Judaic roots are in fact themselves thievery of ancient pagan ritual.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Christians are supposed to keep the values of the Old Testament, as it lays out the laws that we are supposed to be living. Christ didn’t take that away, he simply took away the death penalty that was attached to it by giving himself up. Without the OT and an understanding of Judaic Law the NT becomes useless.

Even if we made believe that Gods actions in the Old Testament were now somehow "dismissable" or "absolved", I have some other interesting tidbits for you to follow, as your God commands it. It is, likewise, a collection of lawful orders given by God that you must obey, that couldn't fall into the whimsical pretext of "Jesus died for us and now we don't have to murder our friends, families, unbelievers, or watch him murder infants for really no good reason...", there are still other laws, clear as day that you must abide by.

Here they are:

-Don't let cattle graze with other kinds of cattle - (Leviticus 19:19)
-Don't have a variety of crops on the same field - (Leviticus 19:19)
-Don't wear clothes made of more than one fabric - (Leviticus 19:19) *I guarantee we are ALL sinners in this case*
-Don't cut your hair or shave. EVER. - (Leviticus 19:27)
-If a man has sex with a woman during her menstrual cycle, they are to be separated from society - (Leviticus 20:18)

None of these have to do with removing the celestial right of death upon humanity you infer God has because his little one didn't atone for our sins yet. All of these should be strictly adhered by even by your standards.

I'm betting if it doesn't have to do with crops or cattle, as I am guessing you are not a farmer, you have broken every other one of these absolute, God demanded and commanded laws.

Ignoring the Old Testament values is what produces the “Oh everything is permissible” attitude (which is decried against in both Old and New Testaments).

I want to see every Christian walking down the street, forever, in a display of their devoutness, wear only cotton shirts with no other fabrics used. Same for pants.
I want to see Christians adhere to the word of God as they claim it should be. Let's see that long hair on top and on the face and uh, everywhere else k?
If a Christian man ever has intercourse with his wife during her period, I want them to disappear into the wilderness and never return.

C'mon now let's show how serious about Christ you guys really are!

I mean, as the deer panteth for the water, so your soul longeth after the Christian God and his commandments yes?

And I’ll wager that your ‘hardcore’ friend who embraces the OT likely isn’t going around serial killing homosexuals, which is what you’ve constantly argued any real ‘hardcore’ Christian should do…

Ah see this is where reading comes in handy. I stated very clearly that he is still selective about what he pursues. Please go back and read that.

As to acknowledgement of Old Testament law, yes. He believes very much in "Gods divine law".

God requires no absolution as the evil in the world was brought on by man’s sin. Jesus died to take on the sins of mankind. Pink unicorns and fairies need not apply.

God created everything. He even says so per the book he claims to have written. The imperfect one that is uh, the perfect word of God. This includes concepts, ideas, perceptions, and everything that encompasses life.

Sin is an act of repugnance made by God to contrast what he determines to be "Holy". One cannot claim divine creation over everything without acknowledging this as fact.

Well have a fantastic day. I’m sure you’ve got a lot of Christian hating and religion bashing to go about, so I won’t keep you….

I don't proactively engage in fights I know most Christians can't win. It's unfair, petty, and a waste of time to hear "God is great hurp da durp" when they can't answer rationally.

The thing setting me off in this thread is the calm acceptance and absolution for this judges actions by those who purport to be believers in Christianity.

This makes sense when you can justify your faith by dismissing the barbaric acts of your purported God as he perpetuated them on mankind. if a man can dismiss an all knowing deity for killing infants to teach an adult a lesson, and as some representative act of his "all encompassing love", then he can justify beating the everloving sh*t out of his children the same way.

Not hard to understand that moral disconnect whatsoever.

Also, I like your utter silence in reply to the case of Pauline Christianity vs Marcionism.

I'm guessing my "education" still makes me durp on the subject.

Let me know when you're done studying it. We'll have a chat, just like I did with the last Professor in my advanced World Cultures class. He doesn't work there anymore by the way. Something about an infantile fit in the classroom in front of the dean who he was unaware was watching when one of his students asked him to stop proselytizing about "Gods greatness" in the middle of a secular class and he refused to do so.

Good times! :)

Redbaron007

slowfiveoh......sooooo, what about the judge? Did he abuse his daughter or was he within his rights as a parent to discipline his daughter the way he sees fit?

slowfiveoh

Answer based upon your definition.

Corporal punishment meant to cause, or resulting in, true inflicted physical and emotional damage.

I don't think the vast majority of us "reasonable people" would agree with a father who stops administering his punishment, then out of pure rage, anger, or frustration, returns to administer more corporal punishment.

Nobody ever said being a parent was easy.

If we could beat the everloving crap out of our children to get them to comply with our every wish and demand we would not be fostering their mental growth, but our role as parents would be easier as we have moved from parent to absolute tyrant.

Creativity in punishment is so much more effective than almost any form of corporal punishment. It got to the point where I didnt fear dads fist, legs, or open hand. I simply retaliated when I was strong enough.

Mom however, she would take my car away. *Ouch*
Mom would tell me no Saturday morning cartoons. *Ouch*

Be creative, and get to know your kids. I spend a good amount of time every day interacting with my daughter, whether its sitting and watching Clifford, or doing her ABC's and 123's. I have already learned a few tricks that appeal to her personality when she is acting up that don't come in the form of an open hand.

Its kind of funny when she knows she is in trouble. She simply says, "Two minutes?" with a really sad face, and moves to a chair. Her freedom of movement is her "must have" thing.

Redbaron007

Corporal punishment meant to cause, or resulting in, true inflicted physical and emotional damage.

I don't think the vast majority of us "reasonable people" would agree with a father who stops administering his punishment, then out of pure rage, anger, or frustration, returns to administer more corporal punishment.

Nobody ever said being a parent was easy.

If we could beat the everloving crap out of our children to get them to comply with our every wish and demand we would not be fostering their mental growth, but our role as parents would be easier as we have moved from parent to absolute tyrant.

Creativity in punishment is so much more effective than almost any form of corporal punishment. It got to the point where I didnt fear dads fist, legs, or open hand. I simply retaliated when I was strong enough.

Mom however, she would take my car away. *Ouch*
Mom would tell me no Saturday morning cartoons. *Ouch*

Be creative, and get to know your kids. I spend a good amount of time every day interacting with my daughter, whether its sitting and watching Clifford, or doing her ABC's and 123's. I have already learned a few tricks that appeal to her personality when she is acting up that don't come in the form of an open hand.

Its kind of funny when she knows she is in trouble. She simply says, "Two minutes?" with a really sad face, and moves to a chair. Her freedom of movement is her "must have" thing.

Sooo...based upon your statements above, I get the impression you disapprove of the judges action. Correct?