• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

asked a gulfport cop what he thought

IanB

imported post

Yo...

Huge red font is unnecessary. All of us shoot guns here, so our eyesight can't be that bad.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

93sr20det wrote:
i asked him his "opinion" on open carry and he said "well as long as you have the permit it is ok". i said "no that is for concealed carry if I am not mistaken and i was wondering about open carry". he looked at me and i said "you know right there on your hip out there in the open... just like you guys" and he was kinda shocked.
The EXACT same thing happened to me in Leesburg, VA. I wrote the chief of Police.. Held a dinner in their town and included a reporter.

http://www.loudountimes.com/news/2008/may/20/gun-owners-show-their-rights-leesburg

Gun owners show off their rights in Leesburg
By Elizabeth Coe
[font="Verdana, sans-serif"]Five men sat around a table at Giovanni's New York Pizza in Leesburg May 19, eating pizza, sipping iced tea and sharing stories of what it's like to be a gun owner.[/font]
[font="Verdana, sans-serif"]A gun was holstered on each man's hip, in plain view of the customers dining at the family-style restaurant.[/font]

[font="Verdana, sans-serif"]The men, who are regular citizens, not police officers, were openly carrying their firearms, mainly to exercise their right to do so in the state of Virginia.[/font]

[font="Verdana, sans-serif"]"There are a lot of reasons," said Vienna resident Bill Garman, who carries a gun pretty much everywhere it is allowed. "You never know when a crime might happen. It's better to have it and not need it than the other way around."[/font]

[font="Verdana, sans-serif"]In Virginia, it is legal to carry guns openly in most public places; in private establishments, it's up to the owner. Federal buildings, schools, secure areas of an airport and correctional facilities are some places where guns are prohibited.[/font]

[font="Verdana, sans-serif"]Virginia law also prohibits concealed weapons where alcohol is served, so gun owners who want to carry their guns must do so openly at places like Giovanni's.[/font]

[font="Verdana, sans-serif"]Legally, if someone wanted to order a beer while "open carrying," they could do so, said Cascades resident Ed Levine, his gun on his hip. He added that it would be irresponsible to do so.[/font]

[font="Verdana, sans-serif"]None of those with guns at Giovanni's chose to drink alcohol during their meal.[/font]

[font="Verdana, sans-serif"]A recent law passed by the Virginia General Assembly would have allowed restaurants and clubs to decide whether or not concealed-carry permit holders may conceal firearms in their establishments for self-defense, but Gov. Tim Kaine (D) vetoed that bill, saying that guns and alcohol should not mix.[/font]

[font="Verdana, sans-serif"]Business owners have the right to ban guns from their private establishments.[/font]

[font="Verdana, sans-serif"]Garman actually changed banks because of its rule against guns.[/font]

[font="Verdana, sans-serif"]"I didn't want to give my business to a place that was anti-Second Amendment," he said.[/font]

[font="Verdana, sans-serif"]At Giovanni's, owner Ciro Schiano said he had no problem with weapons being there.[/font]

[font="Verdana, sans-serif"]"It's OK. We have police coming in with guns too," he said. "We feel more safe."[/font]

[font="Verdana, sans-serif"]In fact, the majority of diners at the restaurant, even those with children, said they weren't bothered by the sight of the guns.[/font]

[font="Verdana, sans-serif"]"As long as they're in holsters and not in their hands, it doesn't bother me," said Daniel Towle, who was there eating dinner with his wife, Carole, and their 3-year-old son, Thomas.[/font]

[font="Verdana, sans-serif"]"I didn't even notice," Carole said, "and even if I did, I wouldn't think anything of it. It's Virginia."[/font]

[font="Verdana, sans-serif"]Out of 10 patrons interviewed for this story, only one expressed discomfort with the situation, saying she didn't think guns were appropriate for a family restaurant. She declined to comment further.[/font]

[font="Verdana, sans-serif"]The gun owners said they rarely receive any kind of negative response while carrying.[/font]

[font="Verdana, sans-serif"]"I try to make people more aware of the law, but I could walk around all day and a lot of people wouldn't even notice it," said Eric Hansen, a resident of Harpers Ferry who grew up in Ashburn.[/font]

[font="Verdana, sans-serif"]While working late at night delivering newspapers in the Ashburn Farm area years ago, Hansen was stabbed. He said he's carried a gun ever since.[/font]

[font="Verdana, sans-serif"]"It used to be a way of life out here," he said. "As more and more city people moved in, the demographics changed and people didn't know what was going on."[/font]

[font="Verdana, sans-serif"]The gun owners agreed that a lot of people just aren't aware of their right to carry a gun openly in Virginia.[/font]

[font="Verdana, sans-serif"]"Most people who have anything to say are friends from Maryland or D.C.," said gun owner Shane Lamm, of Winchester. "They're kind of amazed because they're ignorant of the law."[/font]

[font="Verdana, sans-serif"]Last week, Levine had a discussion with some Leesburg Police officers who were misinformed on the law. When he asked them what they would do if they saw him carrying his weapon openly, they told him they would want to check his ID and permit status.[/font]

[font="Verdana, sans-serif"]Levine explained to carry a gun in the open in Virginia, you don't need a permit and there is no requirement to show identification to police.[/font]

[font="Verdana, sans-serif"]That incident prompted Leesburg Chief of Police Joseph Price to contact Levine through e-mail with a response.[/font]

[font="Verdana, sans-serif"]"The officers' information to you was incorrect," Price wrote. "We had already scheduled refresher training on this topic. Thank you for bringing it to my attention."[/font]

[font="Verdana, sans-serif"]Kraig Troxell, spokesman for the Loudoun County Sheriff's Office, said officers are well trained when it comes to gun laws in Virginia and he was unaware of any recent incidents involving a misunderstanding over the open carry law.[/font]

[font="Verdana, sans-serif"]Contact the reporter at ecoe@timespapers.com[/font]

Times Community © 2007 | Loudoun Times-Mirror