• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How can I exercise my Constitutional right to bear arms in Mississippi?

MSRebel54

Well, actually, I could be wrong, but I was led to believe that since the MS constitution only allows for the regulation or forbidding the carrying of CONCEALED weapons, at one time, that made it unconstitutional to regulate anyone openly carrying a firearm. Those in charge at the time, didn't much like the idea of black folks being able to walk around "strapped on" perfectly legally.

So they said, how can we make a law that still seems to be regulating concealed carry, and therefore constitutional, but at the same time prevents "open carry"? And then some smart ant politician said, "I got it!' Let's say if the weapon is concealed in whole OR in part. That way it APPEARS that we are still only regulating concealed weapons, and therefore constitutional. So there you go. And I'm sure many years ago, the cop could just determine that person 'W' was not concealing his weapon, but person 'B''s weapon was "partly" concealed, and person 'B' is now subject to arrest.

Again, I could be totally wrong. But it IS a known fact that the MS Constitution did not intend for an openly displayed weapon to be subject to regulation by the legislature.

Daylen

Well, actually, I could be wrong, but I was led to believe that since the MS constitution only allows for the regulation or forbidding the carrying of CONCEALED weapons, at one time, that made it unconstitutional to regulate anyone openly carrying a firearm. Those in charge at the time, didn't much like the idea of black folks being able to walk around "strapped on" perfectly legally.

So they said, how can we make a law that still seems to be regulating concealed carry, and therefore constitutional, but at the same time prevents "open carry"? And then some smart ant politician said, "I got it!' Let's say if the weapon is concealed in whole OR in part. That way it APPEARS that we are still only regulating concealed weapons, and therefore constitutional. So there you go. And I'm sure many years ago, the cop could just determine that person 'W' was not concealing his weapon, but person 'B''s weapon was "partly" concealed, and person 'B' is now subject to arrest.

Again, I could be totally wrong. But it IS a known fact that the MS Constitution did not intend for an openly displayed weapon to be subject to regulation by the legislature.

The law in question was codified as early as1880. This was in the early part of the Jim Crow laws so there might be something to what you say. However, I think the evidence points to a general dislike of concealed weapons at the time. I am not contending that the law was not used or twisted to enforce a disarmament of blacks and tramps, for the earliest way around the concealed weapon law was the exemption for those going on a journey, and are not a tramp. I expect the law was used to arrest any blacks hiding their weapons and when they were openly carried the Klan came by for a visit.

Oh and just to be clear I am completely for eliminating the three words "or in part" because of the absolute misuse that has resulted from their existence and placement.

Last edited:

MilProGuy

However, if you REALLY want to make them angry..., Open Carry a Long-gun (Rifle, Shotgun, AR-15 type, or AK-47 type, etc.) around town.

Surely, you jest!

I am a law-abiding citizen and carry a legally concealed handgun...not to make any law enforcement or government agent ANGRY, but for the purpose of self-defense.

If we stoop to the level of attempting to agitate and embarrass those who are sworn to protect and serve, we would only be "shooting ourselves in the foot".

Last edited: