• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry incident in Belle Meade Tennessee 1-23-10 5:15-5:30pm

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

slowfiveoh wrote:
1)Hey I have an idea! maybe you could actually read what happened here, and possibly, could have understood from the beginning, that CARRYING IT IN HIS HAND WAS THE ONLY LEGAL OPTION IN THAT COUNTY.

Do I need to bump up the font so you can read?

2)It has already been well established, and rightfully so, that it doesn't matter WHAT color your barrel or firearm is. It simply DOESN'T MATTER, because any reasonable adult, LEO or not, realizes that pointing ANYTHING at people that resembles a firearm is just BAD PRACTICE.

Go back to dreamland, creating hypothetical scenarios using massive amounts of hyperbole, to try and draw any credibility to the idea that an orange tip means anything in the first place.

Would YOU let somebody point ANYTHING at YOU that resembled a gun, orange tip or not?

Dependent upon how you answer that, may give me GPS coordinates as to your precise location in the gene pool.

1) Belle Meade is a city in Davidson County. Davidson County follows TN state law, so does Belle Meade. The ordinance that kwik was complying with is an old Belle Meade ordinance that is no longer enforced.

2) What some of have had concern about concerning kwik painting the muzzle of his AK pistol orange is the reason that he did it. His purpose for doing so was "to delay the reaction of LEO so they wouldn't shoot him." Kwik is the one that seem to think that this would mean anything to a police officer.

kwik sure does seem to worry about getting shot by a LEO allot. Sounds like paranoia to me. But then he goes out and does stuff that potentially could cause him to get shot. Maybe a tenge if suicidal tendancies? Well, maybe not, maybe he's just not bright enough to comprehend the hazards that he creates for himself....or others.

slowfiveoh

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
1) Belle Meade is a city in Davidson County. Davidson County follows TN state law, so does Belle Meade. The ordinance that kwik was complying with is an old Belle Meade ordinance that is no longer enforced.

2) What some of have had concern about concerning kwik painting the muzzle of his AK pistol orange is the reason that he did it. His purpose for doing so was "to delay the reaction of LEO so they wouldn't shoot him." Kwik is the one that seem to think that this would mean anything to a police officer.

kwik sure does seem to worry about getting shot by a LEO allot. Sounds like paranoia to me. But then he goes out and does stuff that potentially could cause him to get shot. Maybe a tenge if suicidal tendancies? Well, maybe not, maybe he's just not bright enough to comprehend the hazards that he creates for himself....or others.
Enforced or not, it is still applicable law yes? If "No", then I can see your approach. If "Yes", then what is the problem?

With postings like Detective Roderick Tuason on facebook, his intent to have a cop stop and ask first, is well warranted. In fact, that officer doesn't care if he (or YOU for that matter) is brandishing it, or it is secured in it's holster. At a minimum, it would seem there is a basis for trying in any way, shape, or form, to try and create a pause in the reaction of an officer to politely explain to them that the firearm is real. This creates a window of conversation, wherein one could HOPEFULLY convey their peaceful intentions, and carry on with their lives.

There are countless examples of LEO's who even KNOW the laws, and are still happily, and readily violating the rights of citizens. There is a varying scale of obscure reaction on their behalf that as an OC'er, you simply must be prepared for.

I think we have already established via several examples (that i will happily post if necessary) that an orange tip on a firearm its a flat out moot point on behalf of law enforcement. They simply don't care what color the tip is, and frankly, I don't blame them. Real life dictates that we not point firearms, or replicas of firearms at other people or law enforcement officers. It's simply bad practice, and an example of extremely poor decision making.

One thing I find as being interesting, is that kwikrnu is acting in an extremely respectful and compliant manner, and has abided by the very letter of the law. Yet, here we are, creating massive amounts of conjecture (and admit it, some of you are), that he is going to go off on some murderous spree or rampage. Please let me know when this is going to occur, because this fairytale scenario has not happened yet.

I place no more credibility in that idea, than I do any of YOU doing the same because you carry.

Another thing that is interesting to me is the continuing statements about "sheep" on this forum, by those who proclaim that anybody not pro-firearm must inherently be brainwashed into believing so, while simultaneously acknowledging and claiming to support individual rights, and then labeling kwikrnu as "idiotic" because he act's on his own (individual) behalf, and clearly believes in his right to defend himself.

While slamming kwikrnu for not carrying how you would carry, and slamming him for what he carries, and throwing in a comment like, "The tip is orange, he must be up to no good...", you are in fact opening yourselves up for the same criticism, like it or not.

Think about how the people who oppose firearms look at these statements. Especially if they are analytical, and capable of compositionally breaking down some of your guys statements.

I know we don't see eye to eye on all things, but fueling a fire by making the very same statements the majority here claim to abhor, is just conversing cookware.

Archangel

imported post

slowfiveoh wrote:
ColdBlueSteel wrote:
Um, no that's not my name.

And I don't believe I "advocated" killing anybody. Try to read slowly.
Your disrespectful, and provocative response tells me everything I need to know about you on-the-fly.

Your commentary was obvious reference to you thinking that his legal activity warrants, or otherwise is worthy of such response up to and including him being shot.

Don't duck. Don't hide. Don't swivel. Be a man and stand up for what you are actually implying.

ColdBlueSteel wrote:
If you agree with what this guy is doing then you are just as much of a whack job as he is.
I agree with him lawfully carrying a firearm, and deny your ostentatious conjecture speculating to the condition of mine, or his, mental health. Unless you are implying you have your Web-MD in Psychiatry?

"Oh no he didn't find 40 other people to do this with, therefore boo-hoo on him!" - Right?

He carried lawfully.
He carried the ONLY WAY he could lawfully.
He was the only one, out of many joggers who past him that wore the vest in compliance with law.

So if studying the law, carrying lawfully, and abiding by other laws makes him a whackjob, then I am sure you and many others are flat out loony too!

I give little credence to your pathetic opinion to be frank, and am enlightened to your character by trying to dismiss what you REALLY meant in your previous post.

ColdBlueSteel wrote:
He is ANTAGONIZING the police with his antics in the hopes of a juicy lawsuit in his favor and 15 minutes of fame. I am betting that sooner or later he is gonna catch a bullet. I don't "hope" it happens, but when you do goofy things like painting guns orange and carrying a gun IN YOUR HAND down the street, you are ASKING for something to happen.

Sooner or later it will...
I am not sure where you got your degree in common sense, but everything he did was lawful, and stands to gain just as must objection from law enforcement as your prescribed method of open carry, if you do indeed open carry.

Hey I have an idea! maybe you could actually read what happened here, and possibly, could have understood from the beginning, that CARRYING IT IN HIS HAND WAS THE ONLY LEGAL OPTION IN THAT COUNTY.

Do I need to bump up the font so you can read?

It has already been well established, and rightfully so, that it doesn't matter WHAT color your barrel or firearm is. It simply DOESN'T MATTER, because any reasonable adult, LEO or not, realizes that pointing ANYTHING at people that resembles a firearm is just BAD PRACTICE.

Go back to dreamland, creating hypothetical scenarios using massive amounts of hyperbole, to try and draw any credibility to the idea that an orange tip means anything in the first place.

Would YOU let somebody point ANYTHING at YOU that resembled a gun, orange tip or not?

Dependent upon how you answer that, may give me GPS coordinates as to your precise location in the gene pool.
Time to unwatch this topic, you can't argue with asshats like kwikrnu and slowcharlie here.

Have fun...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

What seems to be missing here?

Sure is quiet except for a little westerly breeze.

Yata hey

Thundar

imported post

Well Kwik might have obeyed the law, BUT HE VIOLATED RULE 11!!! After all the only open carry we talk about here is HOCIAH (Handgun Open Carry in a Holster)

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

Thundar wrote:
Well Kwik might have obeyed the law, BUT HE VIOLATED RULE 11!!! After all the only open carry we talk about here is HOCIAH (Handgun Open Carry in a Holster)

I thought the rule was no more starting threads unless they are about open carry of a handgunin a holster.

I still have my Puma bounty hunter and 8 3/4 inch scoped smith .500 revolver both have holsters.