• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Perfect CCW law wish list.

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

Jared wrote:
I disagree with the 21 years of age requirement, your an adult at 18 (some states 19). If you old enough to be drafted to police the world and "spead democracy" , then there is no reason your constitutional right should be denied to you. According to a strict reading of the 2nd amendment the term bear implies the carried of arms openly; however, Alabama would infringe on that by requiring a Pistol License to carry in a vehicle.

If Alabama would have true gold star open carry status, then the 21 year age for a CCW may not be as bad as it would be.

Keep in mind, in "liberal" New England, Maine is set at 18 for a permit, Vermont does not restrict carrying for those at least 15 years of age, and New Hampshire has no age restriction, they don't seem to have any problems.

My federal LEO agency hires people at 18, some of those people have turned out to be pretty good.

Maybe we could ask the brady campaign what the age should be, they would probably sign on to shall-issue laws if the minimum age was 99 :)
Per Alabama LAW, one can have a Pistol License at 18.....if you can get the sheriff to issue it at under 21 is the problem.

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

Jared wrote:
My federal LEO agency hires people at 18, some of those people have turned out to be pretty good.
What agency might that be? Certainly the people being hired are not filling actual law enforcement officer jobs? EVERY agency I have ever dealt with all require applicants to be AT LEAST 21. If I remember correctly, the FBI won't even consider you for a special agents job unless you are 25, are a certified LEO already, and have a college degree (this is based on information I obtained a year or two ago).

Jared

imported post

Some agencies do hirepeople as young as 18. The Border Patrol is one of them. And yes, they are federal LEO's. They passed the academy just like anyone else and are no different.

Being an adult has very little to do with age, do you have any idea how many LEO's I know that are in their late 30's that act like children???

kurtmax_0

imported post

Yeah but the border patrol is desperate to get anyone. Nobody wants a job where you get shot at all day and then get sent to federal prison for doing your job.

Jared

imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:
Yeah but the border patrol is desperate to get anyone. Nobody wants a job where you get shot at all day and then get sent to federal prison for doing your job.

Ummm, what does this have to do with being hired at 18???

Any federal agency will throw their people under the bus if something looks bad, even if it's not.

I've worked with many federal agencies, no agency stands out more thanthe nextin any specific way in my eyes.

I guess the 100,000 + applicants the Border Patrol have seen apply last fiscal year really illustrates your point that no one wants the job....

kurtmax_0

imported post

Well sorry I made my point without looking at the data. It's just that the border patrol always seem to be hawking for jobs almost as bad as the army....

IndianaBoy79

imported post

I agree, I think that there are plenty of people who would want to work on the border patrol. The problem isn't people, it's getting our government to fork out the dough to hire what is needed.

sjhipple

imported post

HungSquirrel wrote:
I will be satisfied with nothing less than unrestricted carry (open or otherwise) for all law-abiding citizens eighteen or older.

Great, what have you done about it? I continue to be amazed that every year, Alabama, the heart of Dixie, doesn't even have introduced a bill to change Alabama to shall-issue.

There are enough of you there to get the law changed. Are you all just being lazy? Disorganized? What?!

Someone needs to get involved, contact the Virginia Citizens Defense League for help starting a pro-gun organization (if you don't already have one that you can get involved with), and start lobbying your legislature in an organized way.

You Alabama boys (and girls) are way too comfortable! You do realize that alot of yankee states have better gun laws than you guys?:cool: