• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC OC experience reports

WalkingWolf

I will not eat in Cracker Barrel, even if they allowed OC, their food sucks. Honestly I don't know how they became so popular. The times I have been in CB I noticed they all have a old double replica hanging over the fireplace. Irony!

carolina guy

I will not eat in Cracker Barrel, even if they allowed OC, their food sucks. Honestly I don't know how they became so popular. The times I have been in CB I noticed they all have a old double replica hanging over the fireplace. Irony!

Not sure either why CB is so popular...is it an age thing?? A while (many years) back while driving tour buses, I got stuck eating at CBs all the time because the lead driver had a thing for them. Only benefit I saw was that they fed the drivers for free. Ones that did not feed the drivers for free would see the 6 buses load back up and leave, usually with the manager chasing us down to come back. ;)

rotorhead

*Side Note:

A while back I had said that both Time Warner Cable and the Fort Bragg Credit Union (both here in Fayetteville) were both posted with "No Concealed Carry" signs, and that I had openly carried in each one for years without issue.

I was rolling around town over the past two weeks and had to visit both places in my travels. Both of them have since changed their signs. They both are now posted with "No Weapons", which is a change from their previous "No Concealed Carry" signs.

I'm not sure exactly when they made these changes, but it's now clear that neither one of them allow for any kind of carry. It's been several months since I had to physically had to visit either of them so the change had to happen within the past six months or so.

Just be aware of the changes is you visit either place.

frogfish

Hey guys, checking in. Been OC'ing every day around Raleigh/Durham/CH....no bad experiences since my Angry Lady Encounter at Taco Bell right after the Sandy Hook shooting.

Keeping OCing everyone! :banana:

Matt_

Jacksonville, North Carolina, United States
I've had my gun for about a month now. Live in Jacksonville and OC'ing anytime I have a chance to. No negative issues so far. Today though, I was carrying in Walmart when one of their third party vendors stopped me and ask me how to go about getting her a gun. She was telling me that she would like to have one because she travels a lot for her job. I told her it wouldn't hurt for her to look on line as that's how I picked mine up. She was surprised that she could do that.

She gave me her card and asked me to email her the information on the site that I used.

First good experience for me, just thought I'd share.

NCPatriot79

I generally OC while I'm in NC and yesterday had the opportunity to assist a disabled motorist in Western NC on Hwy 64, between Murphy and Franklin. The motorist had just driven up a steep grade when his car ran hot. I offered some coolant and water and fortunately, his problem was solved. There were also a couple of guys with ServPro who had stopped at the overlook as well; after a brief conversation, we left. I came in on US 129 and stopped on Robbinsville for lunch. In each of these situations there was no mention of the 5" Kimber on my right hip, so I rank Western NC as one of the friendliest parts of the state for OC and gun owners in general.

Jamesm760

Waffle House in Charlotte

There is a waffle house on N Tryon in charlotte, I went in there at around midnight for some food with my little brother. There was a sherriff outside on a bike didn't say anything. I Checked the doors and entrance area for any signs and didn't see any. I go in there, sit down, order & eat. LEO comes in, picks up food and leaves. I leave and the sheriff and LEO are outside having a conversation hanging out,

LEO turns around and tells me "hey boss, next time you come don't bring it with you"
I say "oh, do they have a no firearms policy here? cause i didn't see a sign, is there a sign somewhere?"
He says "yea, they have a sign"
I say "do you mind showing me where?"
he says "there is a sign over there, **points at wall**"

SOOOOOO There is a "customer parking only" sign. In that same sign, there is a "no soliciting" in smaller font and under the "no soliciting" in even SMALLER font, there is a "No unauthorized knives, weapons, firearms" ... by the way the sign was located near the far end corner of the building on the opposite side of the entrance. I enjoyed the waffles though.

schlepprock

I've OCd in the Waffle House in Archdale numerous times and have never been asked anything about it. Carrying a FS M&P 40 in a 5.11 Tactical Thumbdrive holster is definitely visible.

Last edited:

Jamesm760

I've OCd in the Waffle House in Archdale numerous times and have never been asked anything about it. Carrying a FS M&P 40 in a 5.11 Tactical Thumbdrive holster is definitely visible.

yea wafflehouse didn't say anything to me, the LEO outside pointed out the fact that they had a sign. I honestly don't know if it's every affle house or just the one I went to, since it's in a bad area.(but that's just more reason to carry)

carolina guy

yea wafflehouse didn't say anything to me, the LEO outside pointed out the fact that they had a sign. I honestly don't know if it's every affle house or just the one I went to, since it's in a bad area.(but that's just more reason to carry)

Since you weren't CC, I don't know that a poorly posted sign (at night) qualifies for much of anything other than a reason for the manager on duty to ask you to leave. Furthermore, since you are "authorized" by NC and US Constitutions to carry, the sign doesn't really apply without the management (not a cop sitting outside) saying anything to "unauthorize" you. ;)

Last edited:

XD40sc

I say "do you mind showing me where?"
he says "there is a sign over there, **points at wall**"

SOOOOOO There is a "customer parking only" sign. In that same sign, there is a "no soliciting" in smaller font and under the "no soliciting" in even SMALLER font, there is a "No unauthorized knives, weapons, firearms" ... by the way the sign was located near the far end corner of the building on the opposite side of the entrance. I enjoyed the waffles though.

There needs to be a minimum standard for gun buster signs. Every business we enter we have the easter egg hunt for any "no guns" posting. Minimum letter size, mandatory contrast (no black lettering on glass only), within a certain distance of entrance, and not blocked by displays, sale signs, vending machines, and can easlily be seen if door is open or closed.

If I can't see it walking in (no stopping to search), then as far as I am concerned there is no sign. Cops can't write you a ticket for running a stop sign, if the sign can't be seen.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
There needs to be a minimum standard for gun buster signs. Every business we enter we have the easter egg hunt for any "no guns" posting. Minimum letter size, mandatory contrast (no black lettering on glass only), within a certain distance of entrance, and not blocked by displays, sale signs, vending machines, and can easlily be seen if door is open or closed.

If I can't see it walking in (no stopping to search), then as far as I am concerned there is no sign. Cops can't write you a ticket for running a stop sign, if the sign can't be seen.

No, no no. Please do not encourage formalizing such signs. The primary thing that will do is advertise to the public a negative connotation regarding guns - there is enough of that all ready. There is the added concern that such official signs could then have the force of law.

As it stands now, if asked to leave or told my defensive tool is not welcome, I will do just that = leave and shop elsewhere.

rotorhead

I OC'd in a few WH's over the years. Specifically, in the newer one across from the newer Walmart in Spring Lake. I used to OC there on numerous occasions on the way to the range. It was fine for almost a year, with even the "greeter" guy in there commenting on the guns I'd be wearing each time. He'd say "nice gun" or "whatcha carrying?" each time and had no problem with it.

Until one time last year, that is.

The last time I went in there he stopped me at the door and said that I'd have to leave it in the car. I was a little surprised due to my past experiences, but he said they've had that policy for a while. Uggh. I went over to the Cedar Creek restaurant instead and they have no problems with it at all. I've been going there ever since.

I had an issue with a Fayetteville WH about a year before that, too. It's the one just a few buildings up from Jim's Pawn Shop. It's another one I went to on and off for a few years with no issues. One day one of the employees said it was fine inside, just don't hang out in the parking lot with it. She pointed out the little yellow sign on the side of the building (way back toward the back of the building) and said it was basically applying to people hanging out late at night in the parking lots, not for people who are eating inside. Based on that, I continued to carry in every WH that I went to with no issues until the Spring Lake incident last year.

Now i simply just don't bother with them. If places want to post, then post. make it right there and clear so there's no mistake. I'll go elsewhere, not a problem, but at least be open about it and let me know.

WalkingWolf

I just don't like Waffle House food, I have stopped there with friends a few times on the bike. The only advantage is they are open all night. IHOP is a little more expensive, but ohhhh so much better food, and they welcome OC. Shame they are not open all night, though the one in Key West used to be open all night. But that has been years ago. Now Walmarts are open all night, and pancake restaurants are not, go figure.

rotorhead

Ha! Yeah I never thought of it that way :D

I got hooked on Waffle House while driving full time years ago. The truck stop restaurants (the big chains, anyway) always seemed to suck ten bucks per meal out of no matter what I got. WH was just cheaper in those lean times. It's not great food by any means, but it does ok in a pinch.

I prefer IHOP, or even better- local family diners if I have the choice.

Added: Are all IHOPs now closed late at night? I seem to remember them staying open all night in most places. I guess they adjusted their hours.

Last edited:

carolina guy

Ha! Yeah I never thought of it that way :D

I got hooked on Waffle House while driving full time years ago. The truck stop restaurants (the big chains, anyway) always seemed to suck ten bucks per meal out of no matter what I got. WH was just cheaper in those lean times. It's not great food by any means, but it does ok in a pinch.

I prefer IHOP, or even better- local family diners if I have the choice.

Added: Are all IHOPs now closed late at night? I seem to remember them staying open all night in most places. I guess they adjusted their hours.

Another problem I have had (of late) is that I do not fit in the booths as easily as I did in the past...which is all the more reason to seek other types of food. ;)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snip--
The one closest to me in Va. (next to VSP Hdqtrs) is open 24/7.
What are your restaurant hours of operation?
99 percent of IHOP locations are owned by independent franchisees. As such we feel they are best able to judge the appropriate hours for their IHOP. Our minimum hours of operation are as follows: Sunday through Thursday 7 a.m. to 10 p.m., Friday and Saturday 7 a.m. to 12 midnight.
http://www.ihop.com/about-ihop/faqs/locations-hours

rotorhead

Hmm.

I know the one in Spring Lake closes at some point. I had to wait for it to open one day. It didn't really hit me that most of the other ones i've been to stay open 24/7.

Great, now I gotta hit every one of them in the country just to see.

Boger11b

My 1st open carry today. Went to the Auto Zone in Kernersville with no problems.
Although I know I was noticed I did feel like everyone was extra friendly....Hmmmm...
YMMV.

they are def gun friendly after i worked for the autozone in ws there was big confrontation with me and the store manager about me oc when i wasent working on the clock, he really got mad when i showed him the company policy on firearms and then he said that our store had a different policy, well after a few phone calls to my district manager and my human resources manager, as it turns out they both carry and are big supports of cc and oc, from what i heard they had a nice little conversation with my stroe manager and now when i walk in he just says hey man whats up, i still catch hell about carrying from one of the other managers saying she thinks i shouldnt have a gun i just laugh at her considering im former army infantry have taken my ccw class (havent had time to file for a ccw permit yet) and my father owns performance gun works in yadkinville nc, so i do believe my district and human resource manager sent out a memo to all stores