• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC OC experience reports

BroadwayJoe

I am posting this from inside a Starbucks that I came to use the WiFi with a Taurus PT24/7 .40 on my right hip. I have been told Starbucks frowns on 2nd ammendment and people carrying inside so thought I'd dip my toes in the water. The people have treated me no differently. One old guy has given me a look inside the three hours I've been here during a trip to the restroom.

Also before coming here I OC into Petco and no issues.

I have just recently begun open carrying. I work in Kville. I take it overall you don't encounter many issues, I know Kville cops can be a little bit of a pain in the a$$, at least from my experience with traffic stops.

papa bear

Dayam - does that been that they rest of Mayberry had no protection? :lol:
I would have though the same thing. but, then if they are in there , they are not harassing anybody. Now if the rescue squad had been in there, I might have worried

******* right on Grapeshot!!!! I heard exactly the opposite of all this. I usually educate myself on everything however didn't research their stand on this. I guess we could consider Starbucks pro-gun I like! It even says February 22nd is Gun Owners Support Starbucks Day I also like that!

I know "Moms on demand" has a big problem with Starbucks. they are the lyingness bunch of anti's out there

chiefjason

Pretty interesting non issue last night.

I work nights, kind of a late second shift. I normally stay up till about 2-2:30 am. I was getting ready to shut down the computer last night about 2:40 and I heard a noise outside. Then I noticed a truck engine noise, and another round of assorted bangs. I looked out and saw what I assume where some knucklehead kids taking swings at the mail boxes. I got the front door open and got a look at the truck, but kind of got hung up with the storm door, and they managed to turn onto the main road and drive off.

I walked out and looked at my mailbox which was damaged and my neighbors on their driveway. I went back and grabbed my phone and walked down to the corner to see if they were close by. I gave the dispatcher my street address and what little description I could along with direction of travel.

The officer showed up about 10-15 minutes later. I walked about half way between my door and his car and as I got close I informed him that I was armed and turned my body so he could see what I was talking about. He got out of the car, and just said OK. Asked me what happened, and since it was raining I recommended we step up on the porch. We surveyed the damage and went back to the porch. A second officer showed up and never said a word.

I really do like most of the officers in my small town of Longview. I've dealt with a number of them over the years, and I was OC'ing for most of those interactions. And yes, I know it's my property and that plays into it. But I've called them for dumb kid stuff, was interviewed when a neighbors house was broken into, a couple of random calls, and run into a couple at the local pawn and gun. Never had a problem. Kind of nice, and the way it should be. Kind of a little counter point to some of the more nutty stuff that makes the news with LEO's these days.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped--
I really do like most of the officers in my small town of Longview. I've dealt with a number of them over the years, and I was OC'ing for most of those interactions. And yes, I know it's my property and that plays into it. But I've called them for dumb kid stuff, was interviewed when a neighbors house was broken into, a couple of random calls, and run into a couple at the local pawn and gun. Never had a problem. Kind of nice, and the way it should be. Kind of a little counter point to some of the more nutty stuff that makes the news with LEO's these days.
As you say Chief, the way it should be......everywhere
icon14.png

jaya

I normally CC everywhere I go and have done so for years. I am in no way against OC but prefer to CC. Today I decided to OC in Asheville to see what reactions I would get. I OC a M&P9c into 2 walmarts, Lowes, Home Depot, Arbys, 3 other stores, and 2 convenient stores in my running around today. Asheville is a very liberal town so I expected to at least hear one remark. The only thing that happened is that one "mom" grabbed her 2 small kids and made them go down a different aisle. I am not sure if she even saw the firearm or not. No one said a word and no incidents.

BroadwayJoe

OC'd at Harris Teeter on Eastchester and at the Hess on N. Main with no issues. Saw a few double takes out of the corner of my eye at HT but that was about it. I have noticed that most people just don't notice.

rotorhead

A quick note about Harris Teeter:

I've read in the past few days were Kroger has either bought Harris Teeter, or is about to. Supposedly the Harris Teeter chain will be run as a subsidiary and will retain the name for now. As I understand it, Kroger continues with an "in accordance with state and local laws" gun carry policy in their stores, so there shouldn't be any major changes in that regard. However, they do also allow for local stores to set carry policies as needed. In general, though, they allow for whatever state and local laws do.

I just wanted folks to be aware that the Harris Teeter chain is being bought out, and that there's a slight chance that your local store's policy could change. Doubtful at this point- but you might want to keep an eye out for any new signs. Hopefully it's a non-issue and no policies will change at all.

WalkingWolf

Interesting especially since Krogers has closed stores. Grocery business is tough business, it seems common for big chains to go out of business or be bought out. I doubt Wally Worlds grocery sales are helping the big chains. We do most of our shopping at Food Lion, which is Open Carry friendly, sometimes Wally World.

moonie

OC'd at Harris Teeter on Eastchester and at the Hess on N. Main with no issues. Saw a few double takes out of the corner of my eye at HT but that was about it. I have noticed that most people just don't notice.

I OC in this HT often, and both of the Hess stations on N. Main. I've never had an issue at any of them.

rotorhead

Interesting especially since Krogers has closed stores. Grocery business is tough business, it seems common for big chains to go out of business or be bought out. I doubt Wally Worlds grocery sales are helping the big chains. We do most of our shopping at Food Lion, which is Open Carry friendly, sometimes Wally World.

Thought it was odd, too. In fact, I had thought Krogers went out of business years ago when they closed all the stores around here. I don't follow grocery news all that much though lol. I also do most of my shopping at Food Lion for many reasons, including the fact that they never hassle me for OC there. Their seafood selection sucks though, so i hit the Winn Dixie some times. Neither one has ever hassled me over carrying, though.

Last edited:

rotorhead

I OC in this HT often, and both of the Hess stations on N. Main. I've never had an issue at any of them.

I've only had one issue at a Hess before. This was around a year or so ago in Fayetteville. The cashier there asked me if I could not carry inside the next time I was there. I asked a few questions and he said he didn't have a problem with it, but that they had just been discussing taht subject with their manager the night before.

I told him I figured that the manager was talking about an employee policy, and not the policy for customers. Told him I'd try to find out from their corporate HQ. The next day I received my response from corporate and they confirmed that their policy is to simply follow state law and do not ban any kind of carry (OC or CC) in their stores.

By the time I stopped back into the store that evening the cashier and the manager had already been informed via internal calls lol. It was all good though, just a little confusion. They were good about it, just confused.

Last edited:

bc.cruiser

A quick note about Harris Teeter:

I've read in the past few days were Kroger has either bought Harris Teeter, or is about to. Supposedly the Harris Teeter chain will be run as a subsidiary and will retain the name for now. As I understand it, Kroger continues with an "in accordance with state and local laws" gun carry policy in their stores, so there shouldn't be any major changes in that regard. However, they do also allow for local stores to set carry policies as needed. In general, though, they allow for whatever state and local laws do.

I just wanted folks to be aware that the Harris Teeter chain is being bought out, and that there's a slight chance that your local store's policy could change. Doubtful at this point- but you might want to keep an eye out for any new signs. Hopefully it's a non-issue and no policies will change at all.

Here you go: http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2013/07/09/kroger-harris-teeter-deal/2501231/

Follow the links and you'll see that Kroger is #2, whereas HT is only #33; probably because HT is only here in the mid-Atlantic area.

jtitus07

OC'd in Firetower Work Shoes in Greenville/Winterville today. The guy who owns the place was very helpful and VERY pro 2A. Had pro-carry signs hanging throughout the store. Said both him and his wife OC but I'm a dummy and didn't think to mention this site. :banghead:

dismaljester

I've been carrying for a few months now and yesterday I finally ran into another OCer. We had just picked up my wife's new carry gun and decided to stop by Walmart in Hickory to see if they had any ammo or anything else interesting. We went down the ammo isle and a fella said "Glad to see you're open carrying." I turned around to face him as he was turning and moving his arm so we could see his holster (looked like a full sized glock). We exchanged a few words and he asked me if I knew about this site and I told him that I lurk but rarely, if ever, post. My wife was tickled that we ran into someone else OCing. It kinda feels like meeting a distant relative for the first time.

Anyway just wanted to share my experience. Before heading to the range to break in my ol lady's mp shield.

--
Sent from my phone

Edited for typos.

Last edited:

angry1

Saw some OC'ers!

After several years of OC'ing in and around Concord, before today I had only seen one other. Today I saw two in the same place. While at wal-mart on Concord Prky, I saw a young Hispanic male and a 20-30 y/o white male wearing fatigue pants.

Jamesm760

After several years of OC'ing in and around Concord, before today I had only seen one other. Today I saw two in the same place. While at wal-mart on Concord Prky, I saw a young Hispanic male and a 20-30 y/o white male wearing fatigue pants.

That would be me chief ;) Glad to see you are on this forum, since I forgot to ask if you knew about it. Was very nice to meet you. Hopefully you can make it to one of the meets we have in Concord. (Hopefully we schedule one soon again) I was carrying the Glock 23 and you had the 1911 wearing the DTOM cap. Was looking for ammo at wally world, but no luck finding any... (as expected)

Always good to run into other OCers.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Two newbies on the same thread within the same hour and they both saw other OCers - how great is that? :D

A hearty hooray and welcome to angry1 and dismaljester !

rotorhead

I had a rare minor encounter yesterday while at a Food lion. I was putting my stuff on the belt and while the cashier was doing her thing on the register. The guy behind me says "hey man, i just wanted to thank you for open carrying. I normally would be but I'm at work, just stopped in to get munchies for the crew". He was a fireman at one of the stations nearby, i guess.

As he is saying that, the cashier notices and says "I'd be afraid to carry a gun, I'm afraid I'd shoot someone" and laughing about it lightly. So I said "Probably a good idea you don't carry then" and laughing. But she seemed interested and was asking the general questions about carrying and owning like "do you need a permit" and stuff like that.

Then the guy said something like "I just don't like all the eyes on me when i carry, but I still carry". Simple enough. I just reminded him that, in my opinion, most of those "eyes" that you think are watching you prolly wouldn't lift a finger to help you if you really needed it. Ignore those eyes and carry, those eyes won't protect you.

After the agreement and handshaking with both, it was done. A decent time by all and very respectful.

travisrugerfan

Winston

I went to SAMs and gander mt and a few other places carrying my refer sr9c. Not ever really had an issue but got a few smart remarks and a few double takes but other than that no problems.

Resto Guy

Pitt County OC

OC'd in Firetower Work Shoes in Greenville/Winterville today. The guy who owns the place was very helpful and VERY pro 2A. Had pro-carry signs hanging throughout the store. Said both him and his wife OC but I'm a dummy and didn't think to mention this site. :banghead:

I am out that way some times. I need to drop in and check it out. About 3 weeks ago saw a young man OC at the take out restaurant next to Food Lion on 10th. Must have been driving the CJ out front with the Zombie Patrol sign.
Last weekend I ate breakfast at the nearby Golden Corral. Saw a guy carrying a stainless revolver on his right side. Don't see OC much around here.
My son has started OC'ing his Ruger .40 so he may get spotted soon.