• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

African americans open carrying

Kopis

Ain't it funny? According to conventional wisdom, we're just a bunch of gun nuts, which means we're backwards, inbred, racist, homophobic, anti-Semite, bigoted old white fat men.

There are certainly two sides to the race card. If i ever mention support of gun rights, i am perceived as a backwoods redneck despite the fact i wear a suit to work everyday. I am careful when i OC that i dress appropriately and shave that day as the OP mentioned he did. there will also be racism and discrimination especially for the shrinking % of us that choose to carry a firearm.

WalkingWolf

Gun control had it's roots in racism, it still does, for some reason is not talked about. Most minorities have been sold that gun control is good for them, when it is exactly the opposite. Open carry allows those with less financial means to provide self defense for their families and their person. The training requirements and the high cost of permits in some states puts a unfair burden on the less fortunate. The black panthers once were behind open carry, it seems they changed their tune and they now support gun control.

cteaglesfan

I can totally identify with the OP. I am Black and from New Haven, CT. A good size urban city home of Yale University and A LOT of crime. We are in the top 20 of the most violent cities in the country every year. I carry concealed when I'm out with my daughter and open otherwise. A few months ago I had stopped to get wings and the person working behind the counter tried to tell me I had to cover up (in CT open carry is perfectly legal but the state keeps it on the hush) After I informed him that it was legal and showed him proof he thanked me, gave me my wings and I went on my way. About 2 weeks later I went back for more wings and he said he asked a LEO customer about it and that LEO stated 'it's a good thing I didn't see him, I would have arrested his ass'. That didn't scare me as much as the converstaion afterward. I told him that it wasn't arrestable. And he stated "you're black, you can't get away with what those white boys get away with" That comment REALLY mad me sad, not that it was true, but that fact that some of us are some dumb we believe that there's a unspoken set of rules and laws that are specific only to us to keep 'underfoot'

I guess it goes back to that 'control' that WalkingWolf spoke of.

This made me want to OC even more.

To the OP, OC and do it proudly, watch your demeanor while doing so and get as many blacks in your area to do that same.

Fallschirjmäger

:BS-Flag-on-Play:
You should be able to get "away with" everything us white boys do, as long as what you're getting away with is perfectly legal and proper. There should be no room in the law for different treatment based upon the amount of (or lack of ) melanin in someone's skin or hair.

When Hustleman had his incident in Atlanta, he received wide support from the people on Georgia Carry. Over a dozen showed up in his support and we had a great lunch at Quizno's (after being discriminated against at Burger King.)
20120515_125755.jpg

Last edited:

cteaglesfan

The what community is all about!!!

I'm glad you guys got his back.

I think my problem was more local than anything. Our permit states 'permit to carry pistol or revolver' BUT when you take the mandatory training they teach conceal, conceal, conceal. But there's nothing on the books that says you have to. I believe they recently started training people to the fact that they have an choice.

Last edited:

countryclubjoe

The Constitution does not recognize color, everyone is afforded "equal protection"under the laws of the Constitution.

Now when and if you encounter a bigot LEO, you have the option to fight for your equal protection in the court system, I suggest when your constitutional and civil rights are violated to seek justice via our court system.

For a better understanding of Equal Protection under Our First Amendment Rights.

See- Brown v Board Of Education and Innovation.(1954)

Plessy v Ferguson. (1896)

McCabe v. Athison,Topeka,and Santa Fe Railroad (1914)

Missouri ex rel. Gaines V Canada, (1938)

Best regards

CCJ

cteaglesfan

The Constitution does not recognize color, everyone is afforded "equal protection"under the laws of the Constitution.

Now when and if you encounter a bigot LEO, you have the option to fight for your equal protection in the court system, I suggest when your constitutional and civil rights are violated to seek justice via our court system.

For a better understanding of Equal Protection under Our First Amendment Rights.

See- Brown v Board Of Education and Innovation.(1954)

Plessy v Ferguson. (1896)

McCabe v. Athison,Topeka,and Santa Fe Railroad (1914)

Missouri ex rel. Gaines V Canada, (1938)

Best regards

CCJ

I agree 100%, in theory. But people do see color, sadly

In my case I don't think it's a color thing. I think it's a policy problem with the local PD. I believe 100% that if a person of any color was OCing, there would be some kind of issue, IMO.

That ignorant comment made by the person behind the counter made it a color thing, which I don't believe it is.

I think this is where my problem differs from the OPs

WalkingWolf

I agree 100%, in theory. But people do see color, sadly

In my case I don't think it's a color thing. I think it's a policy problem with the local PD. I believe 100% that if a person of any color was OCing, there would be some kind of issue, IMO.

That ignorant comment made by the person behind the counter made it a color thing, which I don't believe it is.

I think this is where my problem differs from the OPs

What color is your car, if it is toddler poop yellow, then yea I am going to discriminate against you...:p

hammer6

but that fact that some of us are some dumb we believe that there's a unspoken set of rules and laws that are specific only to us to keep 'underfoot'

I guess it goes back to that 'control' that WalkingWolf spoke of.

This made me want to OC even more.

To the OP, OC and do it proudly, watch your demeanor while doing so and get as many blacks in your area to do that same.

That's what the law in Florida was like

turborich

First time that I have read this tread. I usually hang out in the Nevada forums.

I would like to see all colors of people open carrying. I mostly see white guys around my age or a little older who open carry. We are all in this together and any police officer who abuses or targets any particular type of people out should be held accountable.

The police are getting bolder and trying to violate more of our rights. I am always polite to police officers however I will not allow illegal searches and if a police officer treated me like a criminal I would file a lawsuit.

I am glad to see the OP is still open carrying after this incident.

Aztecking

It amazes me that any LEO would look at any of us that open carry and upon seeing our sidearm out in plain sight he would somehow assume we are a criminal and automatically treat us as one. Common sense and experience has taught me that a criminal never has a gun in plain sight because they don't want to get caught. I really have a problem with any LEO who would treat us law abiding citizens as if we are a criminal just because we choose to exercise our Constitutional right to carry. As far as the race thing, that really makes me mad. I can't wait for the day when the race baiters and bigots are dead and gone and we can treat each other as fellow humans and be judged not by the color of our skin but by the content of our character. Seems like someone famous said something like that. I apologize to him if I didn't get that quote correct.

Jeff