• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need some help: wife opposes me carrying

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveT319

Your opened the door for all opinions. Again you picked the wrong venue to whine to, hire a counselor! Members here have shown you the respect to be honest, not blow smoke up your arse.

I don't see how me asking for help with how to get my wife to accept me carrying a gun "opened the door" for people to comment on their perceived state of my marriage? I asked for help from others who may have had similar resistance from their wife, not an evaluation of how whipped I'm being for not simply putting my foot down.

WalkingWolf

I don't see how me asking for help with how to get my wife to accept me carrying a gun "opened the door" for people to comment on their perceived state of my marriage? I asked for help from others who may have had similar resistance from their wife, not an evaluation of how whipped I'm being for not simply putting my foot down.

I really don't know what to say at this point. You clearly do not get that you picked the wrong venue for marriage counseling.

mobiushky

Your situation is vaguely similar to mine, not exact, but close. My wife grew up in the home of a retired LEO. He was positively paranoid of any danger to her from guns so he strictly forbid her from touching or even knowing where they were. After we got married, we talked about owning a gun, but she never really liked the idea. She was never anti-gun per se, but she was kind of a knee jerk based on how she was taught. For her it was always, "I don't want my kids to be afraid like I am, but I'm not ready yet." Finally I decided that I couldn't let it go anymore. I explained to her that we had talked and talked and with the money available I was going to buy a pistol. She didn't have a problem with me carrying, but I also didn't have the permission slip at the time so I planned to OC. At first she was very much the same. Keep it unloaded. don't let the kids see it, etc. Then I told her, if we treat it the way you were taught, won't the kids end up the way you are? So we taught the kids about guns and were very open with them to alleviate the "curiosity factor."

I was lucky in that the LGS I bought that first one from had a deal on CCW classes that made them cheap if you bought a gun. So I registered both of us. What followed was fascinating. She didn't want to go. Not from fear, but because she was embarrassed to go. Didn't want to be the only girl. Didn't want to be the "newbie." Eventually she agreed it was a good idea and agreed to go. Then I told her she needed to fire the gun first. Oh no! I don't want to do that until I take the class. She'd never fired a gun before in here life. I explained that it will be a shock and she would spend the entire class worried about that first shot and miss all the information. She understood what that meant and agreed to to to a range with me. After we went, she admitted that she needed to do that. She was so worried about the first shot, she was concentrated on it the entire drive to the range and realized that she had basically missed the drive. She told me she would have missed everything in the class.

At the class, she still wasn't happy, but she was glad she went. It probably helped that the instructor let her play a little with his full auto suppressed M4... LOL. After the class she understood the realities of gun safety and responsibility. It got her past that "fear" she had built up since being a child.

Since then, she's attended several more classes and holds her own permission slip and is carrying every single day now. She's almost more into guns that I am. Every class we attended she hesitated first. But after the class, she was always grateful she went. I think education is more important than any "point" you can make. And as much as it sucks as a husband, what the guys here are saying about shutting up and letting the instructor work is so true. My wife learned more and got more out of a 60 min one-on-one session with an instructor than I was ever able to show her. She just doesn't learn the way I was trying to teach. I still think she's a better shot than me.

ETA: forgot to add. Now my MIL is living with us. She is still paranoid. I am known to occasionally lay my loaded pistol down on the end table next to me when I watch TV. OK, I do it a LOT. My MIL is panicked about it. "Can't you put it up higher so the kids can't get it?" (She still thinks my 18 yr old is 3) "What if it falls off?" "Does it have to be out in the open when you're home?" But, here's the fun part. My wife is the one arguing with her to stop being worried and stop complaining about it... :D

Last edited:

solus

OP, so let me understand something...you indicated you are perceiving it is a 'you' and 'my' contest between you and your partner as you 'measure' each of your levels of compromise against each other is not reality.

this coupled w/'your' decision to OC w/o discussion w/your partner which negated her level of compromise previously agreed to.

you both had a talk the other evening to discuss 'your partner's' concerns which you believe you addressed to their satisfaction...how long did this discussion last long enough to wear her attitude down to accept your way of thinking?

finally you state you reached another compromise with your partner...and how are they going to believe you since you have all ready abrogated one agreed compromise?

and you brought the subject up, you continued to provide further info to the membership and then when the membership provides guidance, which in some cases leads you to believe disparages your character, you feel we are picking on you?

what on earth are you looking for here? validation from this membership you can take to your partner and slap it in their face saying 'nah nah nah see your wrong see what this group of firearm owners who OC think and therefore i'm right as they say you are wrong!'

a marriage is not built on this type of premise of constant one-up-man-ship between the partners but a collaboration between them.

negotiate your compromise and then keep your word.

ipse

Last edited:

DaveT319

I really don't know what to say at this point. You clearly do not get that you picked the wrong venue for marriage counseling.

I really don't know what to say at this point. You clearly do not get that I never asked for marriage counseling.

WalkingWolf

I really don't know what to say at this point. You clearly do not get that I never asked for marriage counseling.

You need to not post questions on your marriage on the internet. If you can't handle the heat and honesty then don't air your dirty laundry. Which is exactly what you did, you were treated with respect and given advice by all. YOU responded with hatred. Because you do not have the nads at home, you shouldn't try to prove your manhood on a internet forum. YOU will lose every-time.

Bernymac

I don't see any of the posts in this thread that would qualify as any type of "marriage counseling". A lot of chiding or ribbing, perhaps, the occasional stop-being-a-wuss kind of remarks, a slew of be-a-man jabs, plenty of other miscellaneous off-handed stabs, but absolutely no type of marriage counseling whatsoever. :shocker:

That is the beauty of an internet forum, you get the extras when you ask for any sort of advice. Such is the nature of the web...much like the literal spider's web, you touch only one strand, the whole nest trembles and out comes the spider or in this case, a whole slew of spiders.

Your defensive posture is understandable, though. Putting out what may be interpreted as being constantly emasculated at home must be difficult and you come to a place where you thought you may be with kindred spirit hoping you may get good advice and all you get is disappointment. It doesn't help that you keep lashing out.

Good luck with the wife.

DaveT319

Because you do not have the nads at home, you shouldn't try to prove your manhood on a internet forum. YOU will lose every-time.

And welcome to my ignore list.

I never asked for "marriage advice". I simply asked fellow carriers how I might convince my wife to accept me carrying, thinking maybe others had gone through a similar thing. YOU tried to turn this into something it wasn't. You haven't tried to help at all.

Last edited:

solus

I don't see any of the posts in this thread that would qualify as any type of "marriage counseling". A lot of chiding or ribbing, perhaps, the occasional stop-being-a-wuss kind of remarks, a slew of be-a-man jabs, plenty of other miscellaneous off-handed stabs, but absolutely no type of marriage counseling whatsoever. :shocker:

That is the beauty of an internet forum, you get the extras when you ask for any sort of advice. Such is the nature of the web...much like the literal spider's web, you touch only one strand, the whole nest trembles and out comes the spider or in this case, a whole slew of spiders.

Your defensive posture is understandable, though. Putting out what may be interpreted as being constantly emasculated at home must be difficult and you come to a place where you thought you may be with kindred spirit hoping you may get good advice and all you get is disappointment. It doesn't help that you keep lashing out.

Good luck with the wife.

hear hear +1

ipse

solus

I never asked for "marriage advice". I simply asked fellow carriers how I might convince my wife to accept me carrying, thinking maybe others had gone through a similar thing. YOU tried to turn this into something it wasn't. You haven't tried to help at all.

eh, WW has been put on ignore by better people from worst places...

ipse

Last edited:

Geerolla

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/22/us/georgia-baby-killed/

This horrific murder sent me over the edge. I got my CPL within a week and have been carrying, every day, ever since to protect my wife and daughter. She understands that I carry because of this.. acceptance that evil people exist and that we truly never know when they might cross our path. I think if you can get your wife to understand that, she will accept why you choose to do it. She might not carry herself (like my wife, I'm working on it!), but I hope she would at least understand. Maybe it's having kids that makes the difference...

Sent from my UAV using Disposition Matrix 2.0

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

:lol::lol::lol:

I and others were not trying to be rude, but offered the realistic advice to the situation. If I am on ignore whoopie, that is better than telling someone what they want to hear instead of the truth.

Fact and admitted by OP he asked for advice having to do with his marriage. He received it, and then threw a temper tantrum. Maybe his wife does not trust his maturity with a gun...

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
ETA: forgot to add. Now my MIL is living with us. She is still paranoid. I am known to occasionally lay my loaded pistol down on the end table next to me when I watch TV. OK, I do it a LOT. My MIL is panicked about it. "Can't you put it up higher so the kids can't get it?" (She still thinks my 18 yr old is 3) "What if it falls off?" "Does it have to be out in the open when you're home?" But, here's the fun part. My wife is the one arguing with her to stop being worried and stop complaining about it... :D

Wow. She's living in your domain and she's trying to tell you what to do?? Man, that would not fly with me. Both my wife's and my parents have passed on, but if I had a situation like you have described, that would quickly come to and end one way or another. Our home, our rules. I have a neighbor who's MIL is very demanding and selfish. I know neither he nor his wife would have her as a permanent guest in their home. It would drive them both nuts.

Maverick9

Good for him.

You come onto a forum and post your situation or problem. You want a variety of responses on both sides of the issue. It's a matter of broadening your perspective and getting different points-of-view.

It's not just about getting just the answers you want to hear, though some people don't get that.

If someone has a different take it's actually -more- helpful than hearing from the choir. What's the point of asking on a forum if you're going to put people on ignore? You're only exposing your own immaturity, especially if you do it within your first couple weeks here.

FWIW

davidmcbeth

Banned
Wow. She's living in your domain and she's trying to tell you what to do?? Man, that would not fly with me. Both my wife's and my parents have passed on, but if I had a situation like you have described, that would quickly come to and end one way or another. Our home, our rules. I have a neighbor who's MIL is very demanding and selfish. I know neither he nor his wife would have her as a permanent guest in their home. It would drive them both nuts.

I allow access to my guns to all family household members ... in case the revenuers show up and try to bust up my still.

Never even seen my mother/father-in-laws ....

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
You come onto a forum and post your situation or problem. You want a variety of responses on both sides of the issue. It's a matter of broadening your perspective and getting different points-of-view.

It's not just about getting just the answers you want to hear, though some people don't get that.

If someone has a different take it's actually -more- helpful than hearing from the choir. What's the point of asking on a forum if you're going to put people on ignore? You're only exposing your own immaturity, especially if you do it within your first couple weeks here.
FWIW
Well stated.

Status
Not open for further replies.