• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A very interesting article about Rights

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

I found its premises confusing, Rights in quotation marks for instance, and its appeal to 'safety' and 'necessity' to advance the good of the many over the individual.

What is 'conservative' has been lost to the American public so we have a pro-gun article trying to use the only principles in common currency to argue. The conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as common sense.

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
I found its premises confusing, Rights in quotation marks for instance, and its appeal to 'safety' and 'necessity' to advance the good of the many over the individual.

What is 'conservative' has been lost to the American public so we have a pro-gun article trying to use the only principles in common currency to argue. The conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as common sense.
I thought the premise was very clear......

Once a Right (for all individuals) is regulated for public safety, or any other reason, it no longer maintains the status of a Right.....ie, if a Right has even one law prohibiting ANY aspect of said Right, that aspect of the Right becomes a privilege, or prohibited all together, and therefor changes the status of that Right as a whole.

......although I do think the article could have been written a bit better.