• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Accidental Discharge

MSC 45ACP

imported post

I know of only ONE "AD". I know of MANY ND's, but only ONE AD...
Here's the story:

Beretta 92F (before we did FS modifications).

A Beretta fired a round (downrange) when the decocking lever was placed in the down-on position and no contact with the trigger was made. Fortunately, the operator of the weapon at the time was an experienced instructor. Sadly, we probably wouldn't have believed a "regular shooter" if they had said "it just went off whenI put it on safe". The unsafe pistol could have caused a lot of trouble had it not been "found out".

Per SOP, written statements were collectedand the pistol sent"as is" to the appropriate people for inspection.

During the Post-mishapinspection, it was found that the normally round hole in the firing pin block was "oval" and had come that way from the Beretta factory in Maryland. After several years of "normal wear and tear" and "tired springs", it finally allowed the rear part of the firing pin assembly to contact the forward firing pin assembly on the other side of theblock. The firing pin was able to strike the primer of the chambered round without a finger being inside the trigger guard.

Even machines make mistakes when they are making "precision" machine parts.

I used to think an AD was impossible with a Beretta because of it's safety features. I thought it would only fire with a deliberate pull of the trigger. After reading the mishap report, I found I was wrong.

MOST ADs are actually ND's. Even though they are more rare than Unicorns,they do happen...

MSC 45ACP

imported post

In that case, the "AD" was a factory problem, not a shooter malfunction or a unit-level maintenance problem. This sort of problem would not be found by anyone other than a qualified armorer during a "detailed strip" of the weapon. That's Depot Level maintenance, not unit level.

Alexcabbie

imported post

Bikenut wrote:
Alexcabbie wrote:
1245A Defender wrote:
lock the slide open,,,
seat the cartridge in the pipe,,,
push the double feed cartridge, down and back, into under the feed lips.

the first step negates the possible AD/UD/ND!!
Yeah, the PPK series don't have slide locks operable from the outside.

And no, Bikenut, I'm not trying to soften the blow to my ego. Just pointing out that there is negligence, and then there is gross negligence. No doubt about it, I f&%ked up; but at least I kept the gun pointed where the round would'nt cause injury, so my negligence resulted in only a gashed thumb. Ever try to clean baked on blood from stainless steel? Boy, it's a megilha.
Ya know what? I don't like the impersonal communication of typed words very much.... because my reply to you, which I intended to be focused on the "word" only and not your deed, didn't come across that way.

I did not intend to denigrate you personally... only to show that words have meaning and that a rose by any other name is still.. a flower.

My apologies to you personally Sir... no aspersions upon your character were intended.:)

Slide bite? Yep, like scope eye, ya only do that once.... I know.:(
Oh, I don't feel denigrated at all (but if you work for the DC city government, you might want to use another word :what:). No doubt about it, I screwed up, and even though muzzle discipline was maintained, operating a firearm requires the utmost of one's focus and attention. When the PPK/s discharged and tore my thumb open, my very first thought was not of the pain but of where the bullet went. I was and remain acutely aware orthe fact that onemore error could have resulted in not only a bloody thumb for me, but a dead loved one for someone else.

I did not take your comment personally, so no apology is necessary. I am extremely grateful that my carelessness did not kill or injure anyone other than myself.

jeremy05

imported post

We ALL know what your talking about when you say Accidental Discharge. Its another Clip/Mag Penis Measurement contest.

To the OP no, I haven't.