• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Age to OC On Own Property

bc.cruiser

You, unlike another poster, did not indicate that you would not visit our state. Another setting for 'if you don't start no crap, there won't be no crap'.:lol:

carolina guy

Hold on there, don't laugh too soon... Didn't y'all have to beg for a permit just to purchase each of them there pistols you're OC'in'? :lol: Definite infringement of your constitutionally-guaranteed rights!

+1

Granted, OC'ing in a vehicle in Wisconsin without a CCL is a gray area (untested in the court system since the concealed carry act went into effect 4 years ago) and likely to earn one a small fine... But overall we've got it pretty good here - no license or training required to OC anywhere that CC is legal (except inside the capitol building), and it's fairly well-received by other citizens, except in the liberal big cities.

No license or training required here either. About the only places a CHP will LEGALLY get you more than OC is parades, and not having permission (but no prohibition) by a bar/restaurant owner to carry if they serve alcohol. However, if you drink even a little alcohol, you cannot CC -- even LEO. Of course, CC is concealed, so who would know?

I've had quite a few compliments about me carrying, vs. only a couple dirty looks and one bad experience (removed from a Wal-Mart on a Sunday, then getting an apology from the store manager a couple days later.) OC is even accepted by LEA statewide, other than by Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn's "troops" and the liberal loonies in Madistan, so throw us onto the list of good OC states east of the Mississippi!

OC IS accepted by LEO statewide.

Have Gun - Will Carry

No license or training required here either. About the only places a CHP will LEGALLY get you more than OC is parades, and not having permission (but no prohibition) by a bar/restaurant owner to carry if they serve alcohol. However, if you drink even a little alcohol, you cannot CC -- even LEO. Of course, CC is concealed, so who would know?

CC in bars is legal here too, but no drinking allowed in places where alcohol is served while you carry. Technically you can drink while CC or OC outside of bars as long as you're not "under the influence" - which is not defined in our statutes, but generally accepted as 0.08% BAC - but no one I know is willing to risk being above 0.02-0.04 or so, with 0.0 being the only safe level... Something tells me LE will take a very dim view of it, and I sure don't want to be the test case for that one!

You can OC in a bar here and theoretically drink a beer or two legally (I've done it once with other OCers), but again, nobody is really pushing that situation either. Not worth the consequences.

OC IS accepted by LEO statewide.

Well, it's still relatively new here*, but we're rapidly approaching harmony with LE - even Milwaukee and the People's Democratic Republic of Madison are admitting there's not much they can do about us... we'll get there soon!

*OC has never been addressed in our statutes since WI became a state in 1848, so it's always been legal - but until 10-12 years ago it wasn't seen much due to LE's extreme overreaction. Standard practice was to charge OCers with disorderly conduct, and many times the charge was later dropped - but still, you didn't beat the ride! That was changed by we activists simply doing it, and using the court system to fight the unlawful arrests. Now in that short span of time, the tide has turned and the infringements have nearly stopped.

Sorry to stray OT, just commiserating / co-celebrating our states' respective laws & customs. Overall, I'd say we both have it fairly good compared to many states!

solus

Hold on there, don't laugh too soon... Didn't y'all have to beg for a permit just to purchase each of them there pistols you're OC'in'? :lol: Definite infringement of your constitutionally-guaranteed rights!

snippp...

HG-WT, you are correct...NC state statute 14-402. requires (read as mandatory!!) NC citizens to have a Pistol Purchase Permit (PPP) or CHP to obtain a firearm from 'anybody' especially the nice FFL. however, NC citizens, by ATF agreement, do not have to endure a FBI NICS check by the nice FFL. (https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulations/permanent-brady-permit-chart)

that stated...most NC citizens do not know this aspect of the firearm purchase and willing submit to the wishes of the BOX store(s) whims, especially since the BOX store(s) use the computerized NICS system, however the ATF states if the purchase meets state law the use of PPP and CHP is acceptable to FBI's NICS check.

a final note, i personally, prefer knowing the good olde NC county sheriff is checking an individual's local records, criminal and MH, instead of those far away FBI computers.

just say'n

ipse

Last edited:

Have Gun - Will Carry

HG-WT, you are correct...NC state statute 14-402. requires (read as mandatory!!) NC citizens to have a Pistol Purchase Permit (PPP) or CHP to obtain a firearm from 'anybody' especially the nice FFL. however, NC citizens, by ATF agreement, do not have to endure a FBI NICS check by the nice FFL. (https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulations/permanent-brady-permit-chart)

that stated...most NC citizens do not know this aspect of the firearm purchase and willing submit to the wishes of the BOX store(s) whims, especially since the BOX store(s) use the computerized NICS system, however the ATF states if the purchase meets state law the use of PPP and CHP is acceptable to FBI's NICS check.

a final note, i personally, prefer knowing the good olde NC county sheriff is checking an individual's local records, criminal and MH, instead of those far away FBI computers.

just say'n

ipse

So obtaining the PPP (or CHP) before buying a handgun allows you to bypass the NICS check during the sale? Interesting, I wasn’t aware of that… You still need to be vetted by someone somewhere, but can get it out of the way before going to buy one.

OK, not horrible, I guess – a bit of a trade-off for convenience. Too bad the sheep aren’t aware of that, though… good luck with an education campaign.

Here we can buy from a private party with no paperwork, or the .gov sticking its nose into our private business... +1 for Wisconsin! :banana: But I look forward to the day when our law is modified so that holding a CCL waives the requirement for NICS as well.

solus

So obtaining the PPP (or CHP) before buying a handgun allows you to bypass the NICS check during the sale? Interesting, I wasn’t aware of that… You still need to be vetted by someone somewhere, but can get it out of the way before going to buy one.

OK, not horrible, I guess – a bit of a trade-off for convenience. Too bad the sheep aren’t aware of that, though… good luck with an education campaign.

Here we can buy from a private party with no paperwork, or the .gov sticking its nose into our private business... +1 for Wisconsin! :banana: But I look forward to the day when our law is modified so that holding a CCL waives the requirement for NICS as well.

sorry, please do not misunderstand...you are vetted thoroughly, both criminally as well as your mental health, to include court record review, by the county sheriff.

what has ppl up in arms is the good olde county sheriff can still nix your PPP/CHP based on 'personal' knowledge, 'family bunch of no goods', 'daddy was a horse thief', and other biased and emotionalized reference material the sheriff knows about in the woodwork.

again i personally think if the practice is applied across the board...it works. when the practice is applied against ethnic groups, etc., no!

PPP=$5/each, valid for 5 years. CHP= 9 hour training $75 + sheriff's fee(s) $80 valid 5 years.

ipse

Last edited:

drsysadmin

Legally speaking, the key to the question posed by the OP is the issue of PRIVATE PROPERTY. Provided the young person in question has a written permission slip from his/her legal guardian to possess the firearm, stays at ALL TIMES within the boundaries of the private property in question and commits no illegal action (such as threatening, assault, etc.) then there is no legal issue. There is no requirement in the law for training before the young person can possess the firearm.

The stipulation that one may not "transfer" or "allow possession" of any firearm (or other regulated "weapon") to a minor is one that applies outside of private property boundaries. If this were not the case, then no young person under the age of 18 could legally hunt with a firearm (or any other weapon), nor could they be fully trained in firearm usage (safety, maintenance, storage and firing). The following is in regards to a youth UNDER the age of 16:

Youth who have obtained a Certificate of Competency, may hunt without being accompanied by an adult, but must carry their certificate while hunting.
Source:http://www.ncwildlife.org/Licensing/HuntingFishingTrappingLicenses/Atwhatageisalicenserequired.aspx

While that does apply specifically to hunting, it shows that the statute regarding "transfer" does not apply without exception. Thus private property "transfer" and "carry" does not fall under the "transfer/possess" statute - especially since hunting takes place in large amounts on private property. The "certificate" being carried for the youth hunter is the same legal foundation (same mechanic - different technical) requiring the minor to have in their possession the "permission slip" from their legal guardian/parent.

With all that said, I would strongly encourage the OP to consider whether the risk of arming his child outweighs the possible cost of losing "stuff" if another break in were to occur. Still, that's not my decision, so I hope that all stay safe regardless.