• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Alabama firearms laws question.

DeerForce1

imported post

I'm from Va but will be working here in Alabama for at least 6 months but will more than likely be here for a year or more. I'm used to carrying at home & started studying Alabama laws just after i found out i was moving down here. I just want to be sure i'm understanding the laws here. Am i correct in the following.

1. Alabama does not recognize Va. permits but they do recognize non-resident permits from Florida & New Hampshire (i have both) so i'm covered there.

2. Since i have a permit i can carry inmy truckwith my firearm loaded. As opposed to it having to be unloaded & locked up if i did not have a valid permit.

3. There are no restriction on concealed carry in resturants that serve alcohol or in bars.

4. The only off limits places i could find are the usual ones like schools, court houses, federal biuldings & federal parks. What about state parks?

5. From what i have read here open carry while legal is not advised & could result in being harrassed by the police.

6.I must notify Leo that i am carrying.

7. Even though my driver license will remain a Va. license would there be a chance of getting a Al. permit since i have a legal residence & can provide proof of residence with my lease, electric & cable bills?

Are there any other points of concern i should have while i'm down here?

Thanks.................................................................................DF1

(edited to add a question)

unrequited

imported post

DeerForce1 wrote:
1.  Alabama does not recognize Va. permits but they do recognize non-resident permits from Florida & New Hampshire (i have both) so i'm covered there. right

2.  Since i have a permit i can carry in my truck with my firearm loaded. As opposed to it having to be unloaded & locked up if i did not have a valid permit. right, no permit-less vehicle carry

3.  There are no restriction on concealed carry in resturants that serve alcohol or in bars.right

4.   The only off limits places i could find are the usual ones like schools, court houses,  federal biuldings & federal parks. What about state parks? no carry in state parks and places where demonstrations are taking place in public

5.   From what i have read here open carry while legal is not advised & could result in being harrassed by the police. that's the rule pretty much everywhere, but don't let that disuade you totally... make your own decision to cc/oc

6. I must notify Leo that i am carrying.no duty to disclose, but you must present your CC permits if asked

7. Even though my driver license will remain a Va. license would there be a chance of getting a Al. permit since i have a legal residence & can provide proof of residence with my lease, electric & cable bills?while you may be able to do that, i wouldn't mix/match your id with your permit which would have different addresses... you're already covered by FL/NH, just use those

Are there any other points of concern i should have while i'm down here? i scrapped this by from handgunlaw.us and packing.org so please check both sources again and i'll let the locals chime in for local issues

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

unrequited wrote:
DeerForce1 wrote:
1. Alabama does not recognize Va. permits but they do recognize non-resident permits from Florida & New Hampshire (i have both) so i'm covered there. right

2. Since i have a permit i can carry inmy truckwith my firearm loaded. As opposed to it having to be unloaded & locked up if i did not have a valid permit. right, no permit-less vehicle carry

3. There are no restriction on concealed carry in resturants that serve alcohol or in bars.right

4. The only off limits places i could find are the usual ones like schools, court houses, federal biuldings & federal parks. What about state parks? no carry in state parks and places where demonstrations are taking place in public

5. From what i have read here open carry while legal is not advised & could result in being harrassed by the police. that's the rule pretty much everywhere, but don't let that disuade you totally... make your own decision to cc/oc

6.I must notify Leo that i am carrying.no duty to disclose, but you must present your CC permits if asked

7. Even though my driver license will remain a Va. license would there be a chance of getting a Al. permit since i have a legal residence & can provide proof of residence with my lease, electric & cable bills?while you may be able to do that, i wouldn't mix/match your id with your permit which would have different addresses... you're already covered by FL/NH, just use those

Are there any other points of concern i should have while i'm down here? i scrapped this by from handgunlaw.us and packing.org so please check both sources again and i'll let the locals chime in for local issues
I agree with unrequited except for the point on OC...you will likely face arrest for OC, not just harrassment.....what part of the state will you be in?

DeerForce1

imported post

Thanksfor catching the "no carry in state parks" & "no duty to disclose" i missed the first & mis-read the second. I did catch the part about not carrying to a demonstration but ihope to avoid anything like that anyways.

Ifelt likei had a good handle on the laws but i wanted a second opinion so to speak just for peace of mind.

It seems like the AL. laws & Va. laws are pretty close in most aspects.

I don't think i'll try open carrying since i'm 700 miles from home & getting in any type of trouble would probably cost me my job & the ones coming up after this one.

Comp-tech i'm in Anniston a little more than 1/2 way between Atl. & B'ham. I'm working on a project for the Anniston army depot.

Have you ever shot at Moss Branch gun club? They hold IDPA & several other shoots. I was thinking about going to some.............................................DF1

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

DF1.....I'm not familiar with Moss Branch, other than what I've seen in magazines etc.......
I've "passed through" the area many times but don't know much about it.
Hope you enjoy your time in Alabama....stay safe!

acrimsontide

imported post

DeerForce1,

Sounds as if Comp-tech has covered all the bases. Welcome to our state and I hope that you enjoy your time in Alabama.

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

GaGunOwner wrote:
Can someone please post the source of state parks being off-limits to carry in Alabama?
http://www.alapark.com/parks/Rules%20and%20Regulations.pdf

Prohibited Devices (220-5-.08)
(1) It shall be unlawful for any person other than a duly authorized law enforcement
officer to possess or carry into any State Park any form of firearm without written
permission of the manager or custodian in charge of the State Park visited. No person
shall possess, discharge or set off on or within a State park any firecrackers, torpedoes,
rockets, cap pistols, or other fireworks.

ProguninTN

imported post

GaGunOwner wrote:
K-12 schools are not off-limits if you have an ALABAMA license. Reciprocal licenses won't work due to federal law.

Colleges, etc. are not off-limits to anyone who has a permit recognized by the State of Alabama, so you're good to go there.

True, but AL some Sheriffs have been known to threaten revocation of permits for carrying on school property or open carrying.

ProguninTN

DeerForce1

imported post

No torpedos? Well i guess it's a good thing i didn't bring my submarine down here from Va. to go deer hunting. That's kind of like the law i read about a while back from up north somewhere that said it was illegal to hunt for whales from the back of an elephant.:what::shock:................................................................DF1

SweetHomeAlabama

imported post

These are some really good comments. The only thing I might add is it's always a good idea to touch base with the CLEO in the county you'll be visiting. In Anniston that should be the Calhoun County Sheriff <http://www.calcoso.org/>. They might have some helpful insights into CC in their jurisdiction.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

SweetHomeAlabama wrote:
These are some really good comments. The only thing I might add is it's always a good idea to touch base with the CLEO in the county you'll be visiting. In Anniston that should be the Calhoun County Sheriff <http://www.calcoso.org/>. They might have some helpful insights into CC in their jurisdiction.

Unless things are VERY different in Alabama than they are in Pennsylvania the last place I would ask about carry laws would be the county sheriff.

PS: WELCOME! :monkey

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

SweetHomeAlabama wrote:
First, welcome to OCDO SweetHome!
An LEO is never one to ask questions regarding firearms law...most will give their opinions which are very often contradictory from actual code....EVEN if they know they are wrong according to the Code of Alabama.(see below)
BTW, CC issues are the same for the entire state since the Alabama Legislature has pre-emption over handgun laws.

- THIS PERMIT IS GOOD IN THE STATE OF ALABAMA ONLY. THE WEAPON MUST BE CONCEALED.
The above is quoted from the Calhoun County PL application.....both statements are false....Alabama has reciprocity agreements with several states....and there is NO requirement in the Code of Alabama to conceal although every sheriff in Alabama, that I'm aware of, will say that there is.
Although open carry is legal in Alabama without a Pistol License (while on foot), you will most likely have unwanted LEO contact and possibly be arrested.

SweetHomeAlabama

imported post

Thanks, I'm glad to be here. Great forum!

I couldn't agree with you more. Leos a far less informed on the laws than most any CCL holder that has spent a couple of hours reading this forum and the information found on packing.org.

The reason for my suggesting that a guest resident [DeerForce1] might want to contact the CLEO in the area that he is visiting is that, when looking to avoid conflict in a new area it is always a good idea to get a feel for the locals, a "lay of the land" so to speak.

JMHO

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

SweetHomeAlabama wrote:

I couldn't agree with you more. Leos a far less informed on the laws than most any CCL holder that has spent a couple of hours reading this forum and the information found on packing.org.

The reason for my suggesting that a guest resident [DeerForce1] might want to contact the CLEO in the area that he is visiting is that, when looking to avoid conflict in a new area it is always a good idea to get a feel for the locals, a "lay of the land" so to speak.

JMHO
One other thing.....Packing.org has sorely out dated info...always verify what you find there.

unrequited

imported post

Comp-tech wrote:
SweetHomeAlabama wrote:

JMHO
One other thing.....Packing.org has sorely out dated info...always verify what you find there.

Another big welcome! And please check out handgunlaws.us or the handy-dandy map at opencarry.org (the main page) for more updated info, as well as the statute codes so you can look 'em up for the most recent revisions.