• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AP reports: Man with AK-47-style gun in park not helpful to gun rights agenda

Stophel

imported post

"a camouflage jacket, military boots and a black skull cap"

This describes the everyday dress of about every third person where I live. Male AND female.

:D

I'm all for this guy...except for the orange tip. STUPID.

44Brent

imported post

WCrawford wrote:
Should I just wear my Army issued winter coat or do you want me to wear the entire uniform? I'll just need to remove the "US Army" and unit patches that I never bothered to do when I was discharged. I wonder if the uniform still fits... hmmm...

The important thing to do is wear a big sign that says Exhibit "B'"for Reinstating the Park Ban". By wearing the sign, you will save the antis from having to label the photograph of you that will be used as a lobbying effort to reinstate the ban on carry in state parks.

Exhibit "A" will of course be a photograph of the retard with the orange-tipped rifle, which he pretends is a pistol.

On the other hand, you could just have pictures taken of both of you taken side by side labeled "Dumb and Dumber", and send it in to lobbyist for your local gun ban group.

lukeshort

imported post

This guy has gone way over the top with this sort of thing. I believe in the right to carry anything you want, and own anything you can afford. But when someone just cries out for attention in this manner it becomes dangerous and blatantly obnoxious. This does nothing for the RKBA, nor does it help in anyway those that support our freedoms. You can wear a ski mask into a bank, but I bet you will get some attention. You carry a steel suit case into an airport with a piece of twine hanging out and the other end in your pocket, your going to get some attention. Same as yelling "FIRE" in a crowded room. This is not prudent adult behavior. I’m not sure the reasoning behind that blaze orange tip either. Who’s he trying to bait and why?

I almost believe this to be some sort of anti-gun stunt. Maybe that is a conspiracy theory, but I can’t believe anyone in their right mind would believe this to be reasonable behavior. Let alone something a gun owner would do that supports the RKBA and fond of open carry. I just don’t see it. Well according to all the other forums I read, they have this joker on radar. If this gets to far out of hand and something bad comes out of this, I hope it isn’t serious damage to any parties involved. But this guy seems bound to make a hero or martyr out of someone. If it wasn’t for guys like this it would be a boring subjest I guess.

lukeshort

imported post

44Brent wrote:
WCrawford wrote:
Should I just wear my Army issued winter coat or do you want me to wear the entire uniform? I'll just need to remove the "US Army" and unit patches that I never bothered to do when I was discharged. I wonder if the uniform still fits... hmmm...

The important thing to do is wear a big sign that says Exhibit "B'"for Reinstating the Park Ban". By wearing the sign, you will save the antis from having to label the photograph of you that will be used as a lobbying effort to reinstate the ban on carry in state parks.

Exhibit "A" will of course be a photograph of the retard with the orange-tipped rifle, which he pretends is a pistol.

On the other hand, you could just have pictures taken of both of you taken side by side labeled "Dumb and Dumber", and send it in to lobbyist for your local gun ban group.
"Dumb and Dumber" LOL! No kidding, Huh?

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Repeater wrote:
I just don't understand why the 1st Ranger encountered didn't draw down and put you on your face! That would've been my 1st move and if you so much as sneezed at me while holding that thing, I'd blow your shnit away!!!
This part is the best.

Heavy hand of the law? While describing blatant violation of it? This is EXACTLY why OCing an AK Pistol is a Great thing to do.

Why didn't that range behave like a JBT? Because he recognized that this is THE UNITED STATE OF AMERICA. where people have RIGHTs. Douche bag cops like that one who commented are a cancer and a disgrace to the uniform.

Law that heavy hand down on me, and see if it stays attached. Wouldn't be the first, probably won't be the last. Wish I were there.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Comments like this make you dumbest.

It is a pistol. Period. Grow up. Yeah, the orange break made a point, too, but I'd still call it a doofus move....

I own several AK pistols, and I'm not pretending a damn thing. Ever hear of a Krinkov?

Seriously, you're a jackass for telling a lie so flatly.

44Brent wrote:
which he pretends is a pistol."

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

lukeshort wrote:
This guy has gone way over the top with this sort of thing. I believe in the right to carry anything you want, and own anything you can afford. But when someone just cries out for attention in this manner it becomes dangerous and blatantly obnoxious.
Gosh, I've heard this somewhere before? Plagiarized from those who mocked the OC movement from the very beginning.

OC, but only as we tell you to.... This isn't even an argument. It's weak liars mocking someone for not being part of the crowd, and not a damn thing else.

I'll say it again. I'd rather be associated with him, than with douche bags who debunk a lie, only to repeat it themselves.

lukeshort

imported post

ixtow wrote:
lukeshort wrote:
This guy has gone way over the top with this sort of thing. I believe in the right to carry anything you want, and own anything you can afford. But when someone just cries out for attention in this manner it becomes dangerous and blatantly obnoxious.
Gosh, I've heard this somewhere before? Plagiarized from those who mocked the OC movement from the very beginning.

OC, but only as we tell you to.... This isn't even an argument. It's weak liars mocking someone for not being part of the crowd, and not a damn thing else.

I'll say it again. I'd rather be associated with him, than with douche bags who debunk a lie, only to repeat it themselves.

No, you have it wrong here mister. I agree with the right toopen carry,and itshould bea right. With or without a permit. I do it occasionally, but not in school zones, playgrounds at the park, nor do I hang out in front of banks and try to get a rise out of law enforcement. Even though I can. Just isn't polite. I most certainly would not paint the end of my weapon orange to try and camouflage its lethality. Sure there may have been no crime committed in this case, but now there is definitely attention drawn. If that was the end game? It was a success.

Each situation involving firearms with police interaction is taken on a case by case basis. If this guy was carrying a regularsidearm picking mushrooms or photographing birds. Not saying it would have been, but very well might have been a different situation. I just don’t agree with this way of drawing attention to oneself, or the others that just want to exercise their rights without explaining themselves to the police.

This guy is just posting nonsense all over the net and arguably ethical practices when it comes to OC, and not doing the RKBA cause any good at all.

WCrawford

imported post

44Brent wrote:
WCrawford wrote:

Screw the antis. Are you (and others) so afraid of your own shadows that you can't support a person carrying a legal weapon in a legal manner? Can you not support a person who, when confronted by police, offered NO threat of violence while they (police) attempt to find any reason to arrest him for a legal activity?

If you can't, then just go back to your Brady friends.

Why the hell are you so afraid of a man who does nothing illegal? Why are you afraid of a man who wishes you no harm? Why aren't you afraid of the police who prefer to exercise their authority under color of law? Why aren't you afraid of the many men out there who would rather see you, me, and everyone else dead just to get the few dollars in our pockets?

simmonsjoe

imported post

I think their is a little confusion over the issue.

Many of us here are so concerned over bull@#$% "reasonable restrictions" that we have a tendency to back a horse, protecting his rights even after it's obvious there are issues. (concern is legitimate)

Others of us find no problem in telling someone they are doing something stupid. This doesn't mean that we want registration.

What is our right, and what is smart, are TWO DIFFERENT THINGS.

You have every right to have a penis tattooed on your chest, with the tip on your neck shooting millions of potential children in your ear. Doesn't make it smart.

Kwikrnu has every right to do what he is doing. DOESN'T MAKE IT SMART.

Besides the orange tip, there are other threads, and reports from members about behavior on other boards that is of a disconcerting nature.

I think almost all here believe the 2A amendment comes without "reasonable restrictions" Whether it is a right is irrelevant. If you do something stupid, expect ridicule. Just remember when reading peoples ridicule, that it doesn't have anything to do with "regulation."

Let's not forget the 1A. If you do something stupid, I have the right to tell you it was stupid, regardless of whether or not it was within your rights. If you somehow believe your actions are above ridicule simply because it is within your rights, you are believing yourself privileged. You need to rethink. Rights incur responsibilities, not privileges.

Everything in "quotes" is said with an inflection of scorn.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

WCrawford wrote:
SNIP
Screw the antis. Are you (and others) so afraid of your own shadows that you can't support a person carrying a legal weapon in a legal manner? Can you not support a person who, when confronted by police, offered NO threat of violence while they (police) attempt to find any reason to arrest him for a legal activity?

Not arguing, just saying...

What I'm getting from the majority of comments, not only on OCDO but other sites as well, is not that he OC'd an AK pistol, but how he went about it. For one, he openly admitted, on several sites available for public viewing that he intentionally altered the AK specifically to deceive LE. Having been a member here for several years, I've never seen/read where another member admitted to such antics for lawful OC. Personally, I could care less if he OC'd a Sherman Tank, but that's just me. :)

WCrawford

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
WCrawford wrote:
SNIP

Not arguing, just saying...

What I'm getting from the majority of comments, not only on OCDO but other sites as well, is not that he OC'd an AK pistol, but how he went about it. For one, he openly admitted, on several sites available for public viewing that he intentionally altered the AK specifically to deceive LE. Having been a member here for several years, I've never seen/read where another member admitted to such antics for lawful OC. Personally, I could care less if he OC'd a Sherman Tank, but that's just me. :)

I'm asking, "So what?"

If the alteration, and many people alter their firearms for many different reasons, was illegal, that would be different. He didn't change the bolt or trigger to make it a full auto or 3-rnd burst. He painted the tip. His intent may be deception, but deception is not illegal.

He, also, never claimed that it was anything other than what it was when asked by LE. He complied with all their legal, extra-legal, and/or illegal actions (without any documentation and other witnesses we can't determine in any or all apply). He was not ever violent. He offered no resistance.

Why is he being villified? For choices that we would not make? Is that any different than us being villified by the antis or even the CC only crowd?

44Brent

imported post

WCrawford wrote:
Why is he being villified? For choices that we would not make? Is that any different than us being villified by the antis or even the CC only crowd?

WCrawford, obviously you lack the ability to connect the dots between cause and effect, so I'll try to point out the problem one more time in a way you can understand .

The idiot is going to provoke a backlash by the legislature and get carry banned in the Tenessee Parks, just like the idiot got carry banned in a town within Colorado by carrying his shotgun into a city council chamber.

Do you get it now, or are you still stuck on stupid?

WCrawford

imported post

44Brent wrote:
WCrawford wrote:

WCrawford, obviously you lack the ability to connect the dots between cause and effect, so I'll try to point out the problem one more time in a way you can understand .

The idiot is going to provoke a backlash by the legislature and get carry banned in the Tenessee Parks, just like the idiot got carry banned in a town within Colorado by carrying his shotgun into a city council chamber.

Do you get it now, or are you still stuck on stupid?

Yes, I'm too dumb to understand you fear filled vitriol. I'm too dumb to understand that liberty is more important than what-ifs. I'm too dumb to understand that hiding in the shadows got us to where we are today.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Sometimes, change may only come to fruition through adversity.

For we cannot tarry here,
We must march my darlings, we must bear the brunt of danger,
We, the youthful sinewy races, all the rest on us depend, Pioneers! O pioneers!
~Walt Whitman

KansasMustang

imported post

Just me sayin it.. I think the fella went a wee bit over the top on his manner of carrying. The orange tip in my opinion was a definate no-no. It portrays the weapon as a toy or non-lethal. Bad kharma. His apparel was a bit over the edge too, however is not an issue. I don't think he portrayed an image we want, however it is his right to dress how he wants. Just thinking that the lamestream media got what they want out of this one, some trailer trash, hillbilly Bubba carrying a mean, ugly, evil, poopie EBG. And that's what they'll take and run with.

PaxMentis

imported post

I'm amazed.

The tone of many here seems to be "Don't do anything that might offend those who would limit your rights".

Had this attitude prevailed in the civil rights movement of the mid 20th century, blacks would still not be voting, using seperate facilities in public places, sitting in the rear of busses and excluded from many professions.

Had itprevailed in the late 18th century, we would still be subjects of the British.

If you areafraid to offend those who would limit your rights. you place yourself at their mercy...

:cuss:

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

simmonsjoe wrote:
I think their is a little confusion over the issue.

Many of us here are so concerned over bull@#$% "reasonable restrictions" that we have a tendency to back a horse, protecting his rights even after it's obvious there are issues. (concern is legitimate)

Others of us find no problem in telling someone they are doing something stupid.  This doesn't mean that we want registration.

What is our right, and what is smart, are TWO DIFFERENT THINGS.

You have every right to have a penis tattooed on your chest, with the tip on your neck shooting millions of potential children in your ear.  Doesn't make it smart.

Kwikrnu has every right to do what he is doing. DOESN'T MAKE IT SMART.

Besides the orange tip, there are other threads, and reports from members about behavior on other boards that is of a disconcerting nature.

I think almost all here believe the 2A amendment comes without "reasonable restrictions"  Whether it is a right is irrelevant.  If you do something stupid, expect ridicule.  Just remember when reading peoples ridicule, that it doesn't have anything to do with "regulation."

Let's not forget the 1A.  If you do something stupid, I have the right to tell you it was stupid, regardless of whether or not it was within your rights.  If you somehow believe your actions are above ridicule simply because it is within your rights, you are believing yourself privileged.  You need to rethink.  Rights incur responsibilities, not privileges.

Everything in "quotes" is said with an inflection of scorn.

Joe has made generally the best summation of the issue here so far. This is not about his rights, his cloths, or offending other people and a lot of you just do not get it. So lets sharpen the pencil a little more.

I will say it once again for those that still refuse to see the plain typed words (I am not alone in this view), I DO NOT CARE WHAT HE CARRIES OR WEARS WHILE HE IS CARRYING IT, AND I DO RECOGNIZE HIS RIGHT TO CARRY WHAT HE WANTS AND WEAR WHAT HE WANTS THAT IS NOT THE ISSUE.

I do care about honesty, and this guy lied the moment he willfully painted the muzzle of that firearm with the specific intent of deceiving others. All you people who keep saying he can "decorate" his weapon "any way he pleases" are ignoring the elephant in the room because you know full well that is not what he did so just drop it. I also have a right to believe in unfettered ownership and carry of firearms, while AT THE SAME time objecting strenuously to things that I think are dangerous, stupid, and irresponsible. I am allowed to use my first amendment rights (YES I HAVE RIGHTS TOO) to criticize how someone else exercises their 2ndA rights. Get over it. I also have a right to object if someone obviously has a hidden agenda that may damage my rights and the rights of others, when that fact is revealed with a little research while he and his supporters spend days crying "but it was legal". You have the right to complain all you what about that, and I have the right to ignore your opinion and continue to point out the uncomfortable truths about your opinion.

You cannot have it both ways. On the one hand you cry that there should be no laws of any kind restricting firearms, and yet on the other you use the legality of an act to measure if a person should do it without criticism. That is where the actual hypocrisy in this discussion exists. You completely ignore societal and cultural norms that EVERYONE uses every day to judge what should or should not be done and from which our laws ultimately spring. It is these norms that form the basis of the legal system and people ignore that fact at their own peril. In the absence of law it is these societal norms, and individual values that govern the actions of people.

If there should be no law, then the law should NOT be the measure of weather an act should be done. If you look at what was done here as though there were no laws of any kind and leave only the gun culture norms of firearms safety you reach the same conclusions as a lot of people here which for me is-

It was certainly lawful to do what he did, but it was stupid and unsafe to paint the muzzle orange and I do not support him for doing it.

People keep pounding the table and yelling "But he has a right..." and "He did nothing illegal...". but they forget how the US Constitution and bill of rights actually works and what State sovereignty means. While we all have rights recognized under the FEDERAL CONSTITUTION, that document ONLY RESTRICTS THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT. Each State must also include recognition of the same rights for them to be totally recognized. Tennessee has a constitution that recognizes the right to OWN weapons, but specifically ALLOWS the state to regulate the type of weapons people carry and the methods by which they are carried.

Many in the Tennessee forums here and elsewhere are now rightly afraid that specifically because of this guy and what he did the state will roll back the Park carry bill, and they are probably right. At the very least they are likely to redefine handguns under Tennessee law for the purposes of lawful carry based on this incident so as to exclude AK/AR type handguns. It is very unlikely that any restriction will be relaxed because of what this guy did.

So here is the nub of the issue. This guy lives in Tennessee, a sovereign state that CONSTITUTIONALLY allows the regulation of methods of firearms carry. He absolutely has the right to carry what he wants and dress how he wants under CURRENT laws in that state. However, the state can absolutely, AND LAWFULLY make him the new poster child for heavy firearms carry restrictions, both under the 10th amendment of the US constitution and the state constitution. People on this forum can pound the table all day long about absolute rights, and constitutionality of firearms ownership and they will be just as wrong tomorrow as they are today as to how all of these laws work relative to one another.

The right to own and carry firearms is NOT completely and totally free of government restriction, or personal responsibility. These two things are inseparable elements of having rights. People here and elsewhere are working to change this for the better. Based on existing recognition or lack of recognition of rights, each of the sovereign states may act as their laws permit. Without 2A/14A incorporation the TSA does NOT apply to any state that chooses to ignore it and does not carry TSA language in its own constitution. Don't believe me? Visit Hawaii. Take your handgun there and see how that works out for you.

In my view it is the people who are supporting what this guy did without critical assessment of the nature and effect of his actions, and without consideration for what he was ACTUALLY trying to do and what may ACTUALLY be the result who are the anti-firearms people in this discussion.

It was thoughtless people who imposed firearms regulations over the years and we now see more thoughtless people claiming to support firearms ownership supporting the Brady bunch poster child for more restrictions. It is their unfettered and unreasoned support for this person, coupled with their hypocritical mantra "but it was legal so it was ok", that will lead to stricter firearms regulations in Tennessee and elsewhere. But perhaps that was their purpose all along.

People who support the RTKABA come from all walks of life. They dress in a lot of different ways, but they have a few things in common. They are ALL working to expand the RTKABA for all people but they do not hide behind the lie of an orange muzzle, nor do they have the need to shield themselves behind a flack vest like a Mall ninja, or cry "but it was legal" if the wisdom of what they have done is questioned by their brothers in arms. Only Anti-RTKABA people do those things.

PS - Joe, big is NOT fat, is just means you need to get farther back if you want to be a smaller target.:lol: