• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Are you confident in your weapons retention skills?

Ruby

imported post

Metalhead47 wrote:
ShooterMcGavin wrote:
I have given a lot of thought to knife carry. I agree with you, it's a great option! I would love to carry a blade for close defense of a possible grab.I definitely think the best option is a small fixed blade. Sadly, those are illegal in Seattle, and that's why I have stopped carrying one. That pisses me off, honestly.

If someone is close and struggling for my gun, I won't have the time or space to flick open a folding knife. However, just carrying a fixed blade would keave me open to all sorts of legal crap that I don't want to get into.
How bout one of those little "Assisted opening" jobs? My wife & I were looking at some at the WAC show the other day, look like they'd be pretty easy to open one-handed, and supposedly legal too.
Whether they are legal or not depends on blade length and where you are. Knifes are not state pre-empted like guns. Every little town can have it's own laws regarding knifes. Someone posted on the Washington forum not long ago what the legal lengths are in central Puget Sound for Seattle, cities on the Eastside, etc. From what I remember, 3" was what was legal in Seattle, but please don't take my word for it. Find out for sure what the legal length is where you are. My knife is 4" and I don't carry it when I OC. Police generally don't make an issue of it but can if they want; it really is a concealed weapon. Because there is the chance of extra attention from LEO's when I OC, I leave my knife at home.

Metalhead47

imported post

Ruby wrote:
Tawnos wrote:
Metalhead47 wrote:
ShooterMcGavin wrote:
I have given a lot of thought to knife carry.  I agree with you, it's a great option!  I would love to carry a blade for close defense of a possible grab.  I definitely think the best option is a small fixed blade.  Sadly, those are illegal in Seattle, and that's why I have stopped carrying one.  That pisses me off, honestly.

If someone is close and struggling for my gun, I won't have the time or space to flick open a folding knife.  However, just carrying a fixed blade would keave me open to all sorts of legal crap that I don't want to get into.
How bout one of those little "Assisted opening" jobs?  My wife & I were looking at some at the WAC show the other day, look like they'd be pretty easy to open one-handed, and supposedly legal too.
SOG FlashII on offhand side. It also makes a great steak knife and apple cutter the other 99.9999% of the time.
My SOG is a Spec Elite, that's what it says on the blade. It's 4" and is an assisted opening knife. I open it part way with my thumb, then flick my wrist and it locks in place. I am left handed so I carry it in my left front pocket.

So....

Gun...BUG...knife...flashlight...multitool...cellphone....

I've heard from some on here who carry handcuffs & survival kits....

...so at what point does one cease being an informed citizen and become Batman?:p

Ruby

imported post

Metalhead47 wrote:
ShooterMcGavin wrote:
I have given a lot of thought to knife carry. I agree with you, it's a great option! I would love to carry a blade for close defense of a possible grab.I definitely think the best option is a small fixed blade. Sadly, those are illegal in Seattle, and that's why I have stopped carrying one. That pisses me off, honestly.

If someone is close and struggling for my gun, I won't have the time or space to flick open a folding knife. However, just carrying a fixed blade would keave me open to all sorts of legal crap that I don't want to get into.
How bout one of those little "Assisted opening" jobs? My wife & I were looking at some at the WAC show the other day, look like they'd be pretty easy to open one-handed, and supposedly legal too.
Whether they are legal or not depends on blade length and where you are. Knifes are not state pre-empted like guns. Every little town can have it's own laws regarding knifes. Someone posted on the Washington forum not long ago what the legal lengths are in central Puget Sound for Seattle, cities on the Eastside, etc. From what I remember, 3" was what was legal in Seattle, but please don't take my word for it. Find out for sure what the legal length is where you are. My knife is 4" and I don't carry it when I OC. Police generally don't make an issue of it but can if they want; it really is a concealed weapon. Because there is the chance of extra attention from LEO's when I OC, I leave my knife at home.

Metalhead47

imported post

Ruby wrote:
Tawnos wrote:
Metalhead47 wrote:
ShooterMcGavin wrote:
I have given a lot of thought to knife carry.  I agree with you, it's a great option!  I would love to carry a blade for close defense of a possible grab.  I definitely think the best option is a small fixed blade.  Sadly, those are illegal in Seattle, and that's why I have stopped carrying one.  That pisses me off, honestly.

If someone is close and struggling for my gun, I won't have the time or space to flick open a folding knife.  However, just carrying a fixed blade would keave me open to all sorts of legal crap that I don't want to get into.
How bout one of those little "Assisted opening" jobs?  My wife & I were looking at some at the WAC show the other day, look like they'd be pretty easy to open one-handed, and supposedly legal too.
SOG FlashII on offhand side. It also makes a great steak knife and apple cutter the other 99.9999% of the time.
My SOG is a Spec Elite, that's what it says on the blade. It's 4" and is an assisted opening knife. I open it part way with my thumb, then flick my wrist and it locks in place. I am left handed so I carry it in my left front pocket.

So....

Gun...BUG...knife...flashlight...multitool...cellphone....

I've heard from some on here who carry handcuffs & survival kits....

...so at what point does one cease being an informed citizen and become Batman?:p

ShooterMcGavin

imported post

Ruby wrote:
Metalhead47 wrote:
ShooterMcGavin wrote:

Bold is from me. No -All fixed blade knives are illegal in Seattle. Even if it's a 1", dull "blade", it leaves you open to dangerous weapons charges. I have a 2" fixed blade knife that would be perfect for belt carry. But, with that stupid law, I cannot carry it if I am going to be in Seattle at all during my day.

Ruby

imported post

ShooterMcGavin wrote:
Ruby wrote:
Metalhead47 wrote:
ShooterMcGavin wrote:

Bold is from me. No -All fixed blade knives are illegal in Seattle. Even if it's a 1", dull "blade", it leaves you open to dangerous weapons charges. I have a 2" fixed blade knife that would be perfect for belt carry. But, with that stupid law, I cannot carry it if I am going to be in Seattle at all during my day.
My bad. I should have specified I was talking about folding knifes, NOT fixed blades.

Metal_Monkey

imported post

Metalhead47 wrote:
ShooterMcGavin wrote:

I have one, yes they are legal, and yes many cops from all over WILL mess with you about it if they know it does that. They like to take them away. I am on my 4th or 5th now.

T

TWG2A

imported post

I've often thought about this issue and, as a small woman with a zero tolerance "problem", have come to the conclusion that a quick punch to the adam's apple would stop any would-be gun thief.

I agree that situational awareness is most important, but so are quick reflexes. I've always had a "two feet rule", meaning that unless the other person is a close friend or my Doctor/Dentist, they will not be allowed closer than two feet. I will tell someone to back away from me if I feel they are too close. Some think that's rude. Too bad. I've been grabbed or gropedfar too many times in my life to care what they think about my rules.

Ruby

imported post

TWG2A wrote:
I've often thought about this issue and, as a small woman with a zero tolerance "problem", have come to the conclusion that a quick punch to the adam's apple would stop any would-be gun thief.

I agree that situational awareness is most important, but so are quick reflexes. I've always had a "two feet rule", meaning that unless the other person is a close friend or my Doctor/Dentist, they will not be allowed closer than two feet. I will tell someone to back away from me if I feel they are too close. Some think that's rude. Too bad. I've been grabbed or gropedfar too many times in my life to care what they think about my rules.
Good for you! I took a women's self defense class yesterday and learned how to break free from different grabs and holds. It was amazingly easy. We learned how to break holds from wrist grabs, front and rear bear hugs, even one where you are on the ground with your attacker on top of you. They all invovled some form of twisting or torque. A woman can never win in a contest of strength with a man, but if you know how to move and do it quickly, you can get free. We were also taught how to counter attack to put a man out of commission long enough to get away. The scenario was against someone unarmed. Even with a gun or weapon you may have to get someone off of you before you can draw your weapon. It was very good, I would recommend a class like this for ALL women, armed or not. I'm with you, I don't want someone in my personal space that I don't know and don't know their intentions.

ShooterMcGavin

imported post

TWG2A wrote:
ANY would-be gun thief?? That is seriously a lot of confidence. I have not concluded that 3 center-mass shots of .40 would stop ANY would-be attacker. But that's just me.

TWG2A wrote:
I have to question this because I would find that very difficult in MY daily life. Do you ever stand in line at the grocery store? Sporting events, entertainment, theater, or any other crowded area in public? Passing people on a sidewalk or in a grocery aisle even?

Also, can't someone quickly attack you and take advantage of their size/strength over you from 3 feet away, 5 feet, etc?

I'm not trying to be a jerk here. You made some concrete assertments that make me question things. I try to think of "what if" scenarios. Maybe you truly have thought of ALL scenarios. However, from your first statement, I tend to wonder if that would work with someone who was on certain drugs, or when attacked from behind, or when my nearest arm is somehow obstructed. I don't think that any one solution will work against all problems.

T

TWG2A

imported post

ShooterMcGavin---Like I said.... if someone is too close to me I tell them to move away. That includes in line at the grocery store,sporting events, entertainment, theater, or any other crowded area in public.

As far as confidence, I am quite confident thata punch to the adams apple will crush it and stop their breathing. I doubt very much they'd be able to do much at that point. It's better than kicking them in the nads.

Ruby, I would very much like to take a course like the one you attended, but I'm having a hard time paying bills. The money that doesn't go toward bills goes toward buying ammo and food/water emergency supplies. Maybe I can barter for a course here in MT.

Here'sa46 minute instructional film, created for girls 11 to 19, which demonstrates 10 street fighting techniques to get away from attack and date rape situations, shares a Dating Bill of Rights, and includes stay-safe strategies from law enforcement agencies. I forward this to every parent I know. http://www.justyellfire.com

Ruby

imported post

TWG2A wrote:
ShooterMcGavin---Like I said.... if someone is too close to me I tell them to move away. That includes in line at the grocery store,sporting events, entertainment, theater, or any other crowded area in public.

As far as confidence, I am quite confident thata punch to the adams apple will crush it and stop their breathing. I doubt very much they'd be able to do much at that point. It's better than kicking them in the nads.

Ruby, I would very much like to take a course like the one you attended, but I'm having a hard time paying bills. The money that doesn't go toward bills goes toward buying ammo and food/water emergency supplies. Maybe I can barter for a course here in MT.

Here'sa46 minute instructional film, created for girls 11 to 19, which demonstrates 10 street fighting techniques to get away from attack and date rape situations, shares a Dating Bill of Rights, and includes stay-safe strategies from law enforcement agencies. I forward this to every parent I know. http://www.justyellfire.com
TWG2A, I understand about the finances, I'm not flush either. It was a 2 1/2 hour class and cost $39. It was held at the local martial arts store, but was not martial arts. Although it was on 2 1/2 hours, I learned a lot that I can use, should the need arise. Thanks for forwarding the link, I will definitely watch it.

T

TWG2A

imported post

$39 ???? THAT I can afford! It'd be money well spent, and would only take away about one box of .45 ammo.

I'll look around here in MT for something like that.

Thanks

Washintonian_For_Liberty

imported post

ShooterMcGavin wrote:
Ruby wrote:
Metalhead47 wrote:
ShooterMcGavin wrote:

Just one more reason to seriously HATE Seattle and all the sons-a-biznatches livin there who keep making all these tyrannical laws.

What part of our damn 2nd Amendment rights do these people not UNDERSTAND???

Arms: any instrument or instrumentality used in fighting or hunting

And don't go telling me about the BS Liberal escape clause called "incorporation" because if you want to be a State in the United States... you must abide by the Constitution you signed on to. And none of this argument that the Constitution does not apply to the States, but only to the Federal Government... that is also complete BS perpetrated by Tyrants who want reasons and excuses for their Tyranny!!!