• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CCW Holder Shoots Person In Next Stall

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

n15wb wrote:
ixtow wrote:
CC is dumb and dangerous. But it keeps the conversation to a minimum, and that's what Liberals like; one-sided agendas where only bad things caused by the very limitation they created can ever be discussed.

Spoken like a true suthn'r.........

Holy effn crap. Are you saying I'm supposed to strap my gun belt and gun OUTSIDE my parka so I'm smart and safe? And to make a point that OC is the ONLY way to go? So that I have to take the 'ol gunbelt and gun off every single time I go inside?

Well..that is certainly a "safe" practice.

It effn RAINs up here, not to mention snow and bloody cold weather. The majority of the year it doesn't make sense to OC up here. But I guess that's a good thing because I just found out I look funny OC'ing a compact .45 :what:

Now....I apologize for bustin' your balls over your opinion. I just happen to disagree.

Cheers,
Bill
Excellent point, and taken.

Ya'll Yankees sure are fashion conscious... Maybe brown grips with the boots? Ah, I have no clue. Who cares how 'goofy' the compact looks?

I suppose fashion sense requires me to give a flying F what people think of me; and I don't. ;-)

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

This is why I love being a guy, because I don't have to unholster to go to the bathroom in a public restroom. I also don't s*&t anywhere but home.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Ian wrote:
This is why I love being a guy, because I don't have to unholster to go to the bathroom in a public restroom. I also don't s*&t anywhere but home.
Sometimes, 'nature' doesn't grant the option...

achin-back-n-packin

imported post

I've always said, any sh*t you walk away from is a good one (and I suppose that should include bystanders as well). Like many,I too prefer to drop my loads in the privacy of my own bathroom. However, as some have pointed out, nature does not always respect our preferences. Since I CC all day, everyday, I want to be sure I don't drop my gun where I drop my loads no matter where it is. I carrymy Glock 30sf .45 ACP and an extra 10-round magazine in a SmartCarry ("THE INVISIBLE HOLSTER" http://www.smartcarry.com). It isa rather unconventional holster, but it is very comfortable to wear and, when worn properly,does not "print" in any kind of clothing, regardless of whether shirts are tucked or untucked. As with any holster, it requires training at the range to master drawing from it. The SmartCarry is worn low on the hips, so when nature calls, after you pull your pants down, you can pull your SmartCarry upand take care of business without any trouble.

As far as Glocks are concerned, they are safe, even withone in the tube. A Glock will not fire unless the trigger is pulled. Regardless of model, one should not havea finger on the trigger unless there is a clear and present danger in your gunsights that your are preparing to shoot. No matter what we carry and how we carry, we are responsible to train, train, train, and train some more until we have mastered the safe use of our weapons in any situation.

Bustelo5%

imported post

I think thats a good idea for sure I think I really want to get a shoulder holster this takes away ever having to put your gun anywhere.

achin-back-n-packin

imported post

While Ilove my SmartCarry, Ido like the shoulder holster idea as well, but it requires the proper wardrobe for cover. If fact, I havea shouldler holsteron order. With fall weather coming soon, and with it cool weather cover garments, it will be a nice alternative option for concealed carry.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I carry a Springfield XD 40 Tactical in a SERPA. . .

I have no problem when standing, and did have a problem when using the belt-loop attachment for the SERPA, but it has not been a problem since I started using the paddle. Now I can take care of business with no real issue. . . but to be fair I am in California and can't open carry loaded. . . :cry:

I love the paddle. . . I have OC'ed this same pistol in swimming shorts with the paddle. . . Very stable platform.

Regular_Joe

imported post

I have a M&P 9mm 4.5" and currently only a Serpa. I have used both the belt and paddle attachment, and was surprised how well the paddle worked. However, I am having some doubts that the Serpa will make a good CC holster. To be honest, I took .45acp's point regarding a proper belt and I know this is probably my next purchase. I was also looking around for another CC holster and I really like the Bianchi Piranha (http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/Prod.php?TxtModelID=77).

Do you have any comments regarding the Piranha being better at CC'ing then the Serpa? Which Bianchi belt would you recommend?

I looked at a comparable Galco leather holster that a gun shop guy was wearing and the leather looked more comfortable then the Serpa - also seemed to ride higher. As I am 6'3" and carrying a full size M&P, I am self-conscious about the gun protruding below the shirt!

Do you have any suggestions regarding a Bianchi holster other then the Piranha?

--Joe

Dreamer

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
Everybody's assuming the claim that the 'gun dropped' is truthful. What if it was a ND? Booger picker on the bang switch whie takin' it out of the holster? Whole different liability issue. Holstered guns on belts are rather awkward when 'loose'. I'm already wonderin' if it was a Glock.
Has anyone noticed how the VAST majority of reports these days concerning AD/ND involve Glocks? I think EVERY SINGLE AD/ND reports I've read that was insinuating that the Serpa holsters are not safe involved a Glock.

Seems to me that if you've got one brand that is frequently discharging when it's not supposed to, it must be a flaw in either the design of the gun, or in the mentality/competency of the type of owner that gravitates toward that particular gun.

It has been my experience that it is most likely a combination of both...

Don't get me wrong. I know a LOT of very intelligent, competent, consciencious Glock owners. But I also know a lot of folks that carry a Glock because it's "safer than other guns" or because "it's a badass piece", or because they're "the newest, coolest, most state-of-the-art" thing on the market--NONE of which are good reasons for purchasing a particular firearm...

And to echo someone who posted on this thread earlier, this sort of thing is yet ANOTHER great argument for Condition 3 carry.

I carry a 1911, in Condition 3, in either a Serpa CQC or a Galco IWB (with a thumb strap) and I use public restrooms all the time. Never once dropped my gun. You just gotta be a little more careful when you "drop trou" before you perch on the "throne" when you've got nearly 40oz. of steel on your hip. A holster with some sort of retention is a MUST if you ever plan on using the john in public when you're carrying. This is one of those Situational Awareness things that many people just don't ever consider when they decide to carry.

It all comes down to common sense, which unfortunately seems to be terribly uncommon these days...

achin-back-n-packin

imported post

Why do people always want to pick on Glocks. Glocks DO NOT FIRE UNLESS THE TRIGGER IS PULLED!!! It really is that simple.

The rules of gun safety are not suspended when nature calls. No one can be injured by a firearm in a public restroom unless the owner fails in his/her responsibility to follow one or more of thebasic rules of gun safety:

1. ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.

2. ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.

If you cannot follow these rules and answernature's call at the same time, it is your responsibility to either, HOLD IT!! or LEAVE YOUR WEAPON OUTSIDE!!!

If a gun owner who takes his/her responsibilities seriously has ANY doubts about this they should train in the privacy of there own throne room (preferably when none of their loved ones are home) until they have trained enough to remove ALL DOUBT!

Anything less is likely to, not only land you in jail, but will also hand the "gun-banners" just the fodder they need to attack those of us who DO take our responsibilities seriously.

Alexcabbie

imported post

Two words: Shoulder holster. Personally I am a fan of middle eastern food, and one of my faves is spinach as it is prepared in that part of the world. That is to say infused with hot pepper. Double whammy. :shock: When that stuff kicks in I sometimes have no recourse but to public facilities.

Having the weapon in a shoulder rig eliminates the possibility of any "stall neighbor" being so overwhelmed by the accompanying miasma as to reach under and grab the weapon in order to put an end to his agony. And believe me, Caryl Chessman would have strapped himself into the chamber rather than sit next door to me. :uhoh:

Flintlock

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
Has anyone noticed how the VAST majority of reports these days concerning AD/ND involve Glocks? I think EVERY SINGLE AD/ND reports I've read that was insinuating that the Serpa holsters are not safe involved a Glock.
Serpa Holsters have nothing to do with it. The trigger is covered by the holster and the weapon will discharge only when the trigger is pressed. If you pull the weapon from the holster and your finger gets inside the trigger guard unintentionally, then you violated a rule of gun safety and you need a lot more training.

Seems to me that if you've got one brand that is frequently discharging when it's not supposed to, it must be a flaw in either the design of the gun, or in the mentality/competency of the type of owner that gravitates toward that particular gun.
Or perhaps it may have something to do with statistics, considering an overwhelming percentage of Law Enforcement, Corrections, Federal law Enforcement, competitors, and private shooters use and trust Glock Pistols. Bottom line is that there are just a lot more of them out there and and I would argue thatvirtually all pistols are labeled to be some form ofGlock by the media.

Perhaps your argument would carry more teeth if you had some data related to ND's with regards tospecific manufacturers.

I carry a 1911, in Condition 3, in either a Serpa CQC or a Galco IWB (with a thumb strap) and I use public restrooms all the time. Never once dropped my gun. You just gotta be a little more careful when you "drop trou" before you perch on the "throne" when you've got nearly 40oz. of steel on your hip. A holster with some sort of retention is a MUST if you ever plan on using the john in public when you're carrying. This is one of those Situational Awareness things that many people just don't ever consider when they decide to carry.

Except perhaps for the fact that 1911 pistols are designed to be carried in condition 1. In my opinion, if you are not comfortable carrying a firearm the way it was designed, then you should probably consider a different carry weapon.