• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Colorado State Fair weapons ban

O2HeN2

1. Whether or not it's lawful for a city to deprive you of your CC-based right to keep and bear arms in open space by herding you through a publicly-owned building, first, where they can employ scanning measures.
Note that at the South entrance you're not even "herded through a building" -- more like an archway. Sky above on both sides and no doors. The only enclosed space that could be called a "building" at the entrance is the room from which tickets are sold -- and you never go in there.

O2

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
One option here would be to create an online petition. To digitally sign it, people would supply a minimum about of personal information such as name, e-mail, and zip code.

Once going, a link to the petition can be sent to the board members, and copies of the petition can be printed, along with either summary information, or a complete list of signatures (just the names, not the other info), for sending to the board, the media, and other interested parties. That probably wouldn't convince them to change their procedures, though, and they might even ramp up in response to a perceived confrontation.

I still think the best approach would be to obtain an injunction by a judge immediately prior to the fair. Served properly to the board, the county sheriff and the local police department, resistance on their part would be a violation of a court order - not smart on their part. After I dug up the facts, the matter seems fairly straightforward. I'm not a lawyer, though, and don't have money to hire one.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Another option would be to coordinate with the local law enforcement having jurisdiction over the airfield, presumably the Pueblo City Police Department, obtain their buy-in, and simply show up armed with their pre-briefed officers backing you up as you enter the gates.

Good luck with that... I think obtaining an injunction before the fair is the best way to go. Cops won't argue with a signed order by a judge. If they do, they render the department wide open for some serious lawsuits.

O2HeN2

Another option would be to coordinate with the local law enforcement having jurisdiction over the airfield, presumably the Pueblo City Police Department, obtain their buy-in, and simply show up armed with their pre-briefed officers backing you up as you enter the gates.
It's Pueblo officers that are standing by the station where they wand you. I don't think we'll find any friends there.

O2

since9

Campaign Veteran
It's Pueblo officers that are standing by the station where they wand you. I don't think we'll find any friends there.

O2

Then what say we work towards obtaining an injunction before the fair begins. Do we know of any pro-2A attorneys around that would obtain it in exchange for becoming well-known along the front-range as being 2A friendly (i.e. future clients)? The issue is straight-forward.

O2HeN2

I suggest that whatever we do, we wait until the legislature finishes for the year.

Then the easiest (and cheapest) thing to do is to ask the State Attorney for an opinion, especially in light of the CU ruling.

O2

since9

Campaign Veteran
I suggest that whatever we do, we wait until the legislature finishes for the year.

Then the easiest (and cheapest) thing to do is to ask the State Attorney for an opinion, especially in light of the CU ruling.

O2

Really? You think that'll have more of an impact on us being allowed to OC at the fair than a judge's injunction saying "All law enforcement officials operating under local, county, and state guidelines will comply with Federal and State statutes with respect to the lawful carry of firearms by those authorized to do so. No barrier to entry to the Colorado State Fair shall be enacted, supported, or respect by any law enforcement agency operating within the State of Colorado on the basis of an individual's right to keep and bear arms under Colorado Statute. All law enforcement officers will comply with Colorado State Law and allow unfettered entry into the fairgrounds. Furthermore, as the Fairgrounds are being operated on public land donated by the City of Pueblo, Colorado, Colorado State Law applies, and no barrier to entry shall be erected based on the lawful carry of firearms, by any agency, public or private.

Dang, folks - just get a judge to write it. Stop being so "we'll wait until..."

BE PROACTIVE. Get 'er done!

since9

Campaign Veteran
Did I just hear a volunteer raise a hand?

I'm swamped volunteering at the El Paso County GOP so we can make dang sure an AMERICAN President takes the helm!

I'd be glad to head down to the Fair, provided someone has obtained an injunction from the judge, first. I certainly have the inclination! Heck, I spent several hours researching my treatise, below. I simply do not have the time or money to pursue obtaining an injunction from a judge.

Regardless, I believe the likelihood of obtaining an injunction is very high. Someone who can get it done needs to step up to the plate! I've done my part, providing enough background information, here, for a decent lawyer to reword and present to a judge for the injunction.

Doesn't anyone here know of any lawyers who'd be willing to take this pro bono in exchange for being considered at the top of the list by all of us should we ever require his/her services in the future? Anyone here with deep enough pockets to actually hire a lawyer for this? Again, it's fairly straightforward, not a federal case.

ShootingPedia

2012 Colorado State Fair policy

First, thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread! It is gratifying to know so many intelligent people are carefully considering and debating the law and how to obey it. Too bad that doesn't happen in Washington.

Whether the Colorado State Fair has the legal right to ban concealed carry or not, their website states that firearms are not allowed. Challenge them at your own peril. http://m.coloradostatefair.com/about.aspx
GROUNDS RULES:
No coolers will be allowed.
No knives, guns or objects to be construed as weapons will be allowed.
No dogs or pets with the exception of handicap assistance animals or animals competing at the Fair.
No outside food or drink.

I agree that "someone" will have to step up with the time, money and effort to force the issue through the courts. I doubt there is any individual among us that is up to the task. However, is there an organization, club or civil rights group that can lead the charge with a plaintiff or group of plaintiffs? That's how the McDonald vs Chicago case was conducted. Perhaps the Second Amendment Foundation would be willing to support our case. Whoever funds the legal action will have to be supported by those who seek to gain from the lawsuit. That is us, the law-abiding firearms enthusiasts of Colorado.

If you have connections with any of the pro-gun legal groups, please contact them about this issue. (I don't know anyone at this time.) Then post an appeal here and on any other forums for financial support. We have to pay if we want to play.