• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Convincing the g/f

SAvage410

imported post

Not to hijack the thread, but I have the same issue with my wife. I have a CHP and carry concealed (I want to carry openly, but at the moment I only have a very old pistol for which I can find no suitable holster - long story).

At one point in our "discussions" she reminded me that when she was a child a friend of hers had found his father's gun and fired it - nearly killing a playmate, and that she'd been scarred ever since. My response was that she was allowing one person's negligence to color her viewpoint, that she had also had an accident in her youth where the stove exploded and singed off all her eyebrows, and that she'd been involved in a number of auto accidents, yet she still cooked and drove, having learned that, properly used, these objects, while dangerous, were also quite useful.

I also explained to her the concept of the police having no duty to protect, etc. and that she needed to learn to protect herself. Her response was that she just didn't WANT to learn - at which point I told her that that was her problem in a nutshell.

I've not "discussed" the topic with her since then.

I still carry, practice regularly, take my son, son-in-law and others to the range, etc., but there's just no changing her mind.

45acpForMe

imported post

SAvage410 wrote:
Not to hijack the thread, but I have the same issue with my wife. I have a CHP and carry concealed (I want to carry openly, but at the moment I only have a very old pistol for which I can find no suitable holster - long story).

....Her response was that she just didn't WANT to learn - at which point I told her that that was her problem in a nutshell.
My ex-wife always knew a friend of a friend that died or had a horrendous injury (insert activity here, gun, skiing, diving board, sky diving, chewing gum). To my surprise after we divorced she did a 180 and decided to get a gun, which I helped her select.

It will take some influential event to change her mind. Let someone try to break down your front door, or a mugger try to rob her and she would probably do a 180 that day/night! For my ex-wife I think it was realizing she was living alone to wake her up to the idea of self defense. You can remind her that when you are not around it is her duty to defend herselfand your kids/dogs. Remind her that you want her around and that you would be very pissed if she decided to let someone kill her. ;-)

As far as finding a holster for that old gun.... that is the weakest excuse I have ever heard. (just kidding) :) The solution is you go out and buy a new fangled hi-cap semi-auto and a SERPA retention holster so you can OC tonight!!!

SAvage410

imported post

The plan is that I'm saving my $$$ for a modern handgun - likely something in a .40 caliber. The pistol that I have now is a pre-WWII German Mauser model 1910/1914 passed down from my late father. The research I've done leads me to believe that it was manufactured somewhere in the middle 1920's.

I had a gunsmith give it a once-over and he declared it safe to shoot, if a little worn. Since then I've put a bit over 500 rounds through it. It's fun to shoot, but no modern holster that I've found fits it properly. It does fit invisibly (and well) in my pants pocket, so that's where it resides when I'm out and about.

BTW -- here's a photo of a pistol just like mine:

45acpForMe

imported post

SAvage410 wrote:
The plan is that I'm saving my $$$ for a modern handgun - likely something in a .40 caliber.
It does fit invisibly (and well) in my pants pocket, so that's where it resides when I'm out and about.

Cool gun, but two things....

1) I am all for being fiscally responsible but you aren't the first person to tell me they were saving up for a gun. IMHO personel safety is something worth using a VISA card!!! Depending what gun you get, S&W MP40, XDM40 or other you are looking at roughly $700. While it is definitely more than say a Taurus PT140 at around $400, either can fit on a VISA card. I had a friend that wanted a shotgun for home protection but is still putting off the $300 purchase for money reasons.:banghead:

2) Ask Plaxico Burress if it is wise to place a gun anywhere on your body, not in a holster!!! If you are going to carry it in a pocket, get a pocket holster that covers up the trigger! Otherwise, never scratch that side of your groin.:uhoh: An accidental discharge never makes wives "happy".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpgL5kuBpMA

nova

imported post

45acpForMe wrote:
SAvage410 wrote:
The plan is that I'm saving my $$$ for a modern handgun - likely something in a .40 caliber.
It does fit invisibly (and well) in my pants pocket, so that's where it resides when I'm out and about.

Cool gun, but two things....

1) I am all for being fiscally responsible but you aren't the first person to tell me they were saving up for a gun. IMHO personel safety is something worth using a VISA card!!! Depending what gun you get, S&W MP40, XDM40 or other you are looking at roughly $700. While it is definitely more than say a Taurus PT140 at around $400, either can fit on a VISA card. I had a friend that wanted a shotgun for home protection but is still putting off the $300 purchase for money reasons.:banghead:

2) Ask Plaxico Burress if it is wise to place a gun anywhere on your body, not in a holster!!! If you are going to carry it in a pocket, get a pocket holster that covers up the trigger! Otherwise, never scratch that side of your groin.:uhoh: An accidental discharge never makes wives "happy".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpgL5kuBpMA
Heck you can get a used Glock, XD, or S&W 3rd gen (like a 5903, 5904, etc.) for 400 or less if you look hard enough.

check out vaguntrader.com

:cool: