• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

FBI handgun solicitation

STLDaniel

https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportu...&id=cd2702149bc6e327a97ec754f6f4962f&_cview=1

FBI is interested in a large amount of 9mms. I found the requirements very interesting, and am curious everyone's take on the lack of some common safety options:

1) Magazine safety not allowed. The pistol shall fire with the magazine removed and a live round in the chamber.
2) Manual external safety not allowed. Only safeties which are disengaged by the rearward movement of the trigger are allowed (i.e., passive).
3) Grip safety not allowed.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
They are hiring dumber and dumber people who have far more important things to learn about no profiling, sexual identification tolerance, and paperwork, than life-saving firearms training; and, oh yeah, because of kick-backs, we want Glocks.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Magazine safeties are nothing new, they have been around for decades. ISP, and other IL agents were issued the S&W Model 39 with a magazine safety, officers were trained with them, specifically what to do in the case of a attempted gun snatch. IMO the safety was originally designed for numpties, and ND's, but the safety for a police officer is a life saver if the gun is snatched after the magazine has been dropped. It allows the officer to use backup options to survive, even regain control of the firearm. Most of us who carried the 39 carried varies backup, from knives, saps, baton, and of course bugs. This is not so much a problem for LAC as the gun snatch is very rare, but for the LEO it could save a life. FBI mocks the word intelligence.

WalkingWolf

FBI except for uniformed officers carries compacts, probably the G19, or 26.

Most agents never will need a firearm in the performance of their duties. The hype is based on a few incidents.

Marco

Last edited:

Kopis

FBI except for uniformed officers carries compacts, probably the G19, or 26.

Most agents never will need a firearm in the performance of their duties. The hype is based on a few incidents.

i went through a few years back, phase I, II, PFT, interviews, poly etc. Ended up not getting in but every agent i ever spoke to said they had never drawn their firearm in the course of their duty (other than training)

Marco

i went through a few years back, phase I, II, PFT, interviews, poly etc. Ended up not getting in but every agent i ever spoke to said they had never drawn their firearm in the course of their duty (other than training)

You must have not spoke with Agent John Hanson:

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2003...-hotel-cooler/
An FBI agent who fired two rounds into a walk-in cooler at a Strip hotel.
Agent John Hanson III, who was in Las Vegas to attend an accounting seminar, was caught on surveillance cameras firing his .45-caliber handgun (Glock 21) into the walk-in cooler. Hanson has been an instructor at the FBI training academy in Quantico, Va.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Now that untold thousands and thousands of tax dollars have been wasted on the .40 cal mistake, we get to pay again to get them a weapon they can use.
The .40 was an answer to a question never asked. The market is flooded with "LEO Leftovers" in .40 as all the lemming Pee Dees followed the lead lemming over the cliff. A waste of my money.

WalkingWolf

Now that untold thousands and thousands of tax dollars have been wasted on the .40 cal mistake, we get to pay again to get them a weapon they can use.
The .40 was an answer to a question never asked. The market is flooded with "LEO Leftovers" in .40 as all the lemming Pee Dees followed the lead lemming over the cliff. A waste of my money.
I don't think any round development is a mistake. Take a look at the 41 magnum, there is only .02 difference between it, and the 44 magnum where the .40 is .045 difference from the 9. Was the 41 mag a mistake, it also was a round developed for police officers. I am of the opinion that any round that pokes a hole deep enough to stop a threat is effective. So I don't worry about the things the FBI does, the problem with police officers is they depend on technology instead of skill. If they had a better hits to miss ratio they could carry a 22LR. Granted the ignition system on 22LR was more reliable. A 22 to the heart, or head can, and will stop a threat. A 10mm to the shoulder, lung, hand, arm will not do jack to stop a threat unless the threat wants to stop.

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

The .40 is just as good a caliber as many used in a LEO setting. At one time every caliber started out as the new kid on the block. The .40 is here to stay.

The reason one sees all the 40cal LEO trade ins is that is has been on the market for around 25 years ago. Unlike personal weapons that can be/are kept by many for decades.

LEO guns are tools worn every working day for years that alone takes a toll on them. A lot of them are getting old they get traded in for new ones.

It hardly has anything to do with just caliber.

Yes caliber is one of the consideration when selecting a new firearm. But there is really no different in a Glock 17 or a Glock 22 except caliber.

When a department start seeing guns with problems showing up in the armorers hands on a regular basis it is time for new ones.

That time period varies a lot.

Last edited:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
You must have not spoke with Agent John Hanson:

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2003...-hotel-cooler/
An FBI agent who fired two rounds into a walk-in cooler at a Strip hotel.
Agent John Hanson III, who was in Las Vegas to attend an accounting seminar, was caught on surveillance cameras firing his .45-caliber handgun (Glock 21) into the walk-in cooler. Hanson has been an instructor at the FBI training academy in Quantico, Va.
According to the police report, Hanson said he did not remember firing his Glock handgun. Officers cited Hanson with a misdemeanor, discharging a firearm, and released him.
In other words, Hanson was drunk and was not charged accordingly.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...LEO guns are tools worn every working day for years that alone takes a toll on them. A lot of them are getting old they get traded in for new ones....

At least that's the easiest argument to convince taxpayers that they need to spend more money.

It's just coincidence that many of the replacements are in a caliber that's far easier to shoot well.

WalkingWolf

In my opinion LEO guns are replaced because most LEO's now days are spoiled brats. I kept my issued handgun until I changed departments, drove the same car year after year. The first department I worked at I was assigned the chiefs 7 year old Galaxy 500 so he could get a new car. It was nothing unusual for ISP troopers to be driving the same car for several years. Back then Il agents, and troopers carried the model 39 for decades.

Like soldiers in this modern day, if they whine enough they get a new toy.

pkbites

am curious everyone's take on the lack of some common safety options:

1) Magazine safety not allowed. The pistol shall fire with the magazine removed and a live round in the chamber.
2) Manual external safety not allowed. Only safeties which are disengaged by the rearward movement of the trigger are allowed (i.e., passive).
3) Grip safety not allowed.

1)One may be doing a tactical reload during a firefight. During that reload it may become necessary to fire that round in the chamber. I for one don't want a magazine disconnect on my pistols and due to the fact that most don't have them I'd say I'm in the majority on that opinion. The theory about being able to pull the magazine out during a gun snatch sounds preposterous to me.

2)I don't need a manual safety on a weapon that's carried secured in a holster. Unless I'm carrying a pistol in a pocket, or a 1911 in condition one what's the need for it? It's just something to forget to disengage during the high stress of needing to use lethal force. The only safety one needs is at the end of his hands! Keep your booger hooks off the trigger until ready to fire!

3)Once again, unless I'm carrying a 1911 cocked & locked why do I need a grip safety? Most pistols are carried safely without them.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
1)One may be doing a tactical reload during a firefight. During that reload it may become necessary to fire that round in the chamber. I for one don't want a magazine disconnect on my pistols and due to the fact that most don't have them I'd say I'm in the majority on that opinion. The theory about being able to pull the magazine out during a gun snatch sounds preposterous to me.

2)I don't need a manual safety on a weapon that's carried secured in a holster. Unless I'm carrying a pistol in a pocket, or a 1911 in condition one what's the need for it? It's just something to forget to disengage during the high stress of needing to use lethal force. The only safety one needs is at the end of his hands! Keep your booger hooks off the trigger until ready to fire!

3)Once again, unless I'm carrying a 1911 cocked & locked why do I need a grip safety? Most pistols are carried safely without them.
That feature is for police models. In a struggle if the mag is released the gun is useless to the BG. I have a police model like that.

Firearms Iinstuctor

That feature is for police models. In a struggle if the mag is released the gun is useless to the BG. I have a police model like that.

No that is not why magazine safeties were developed the 1935 browning hi power has one. It was design so it wouldn't fire with the mag removed no need to read anything else into it.

Why because some one said that is what we want.

Even it can work the way you described.

Firearms Iinstuctor

1)

Don't need one then either there are single action autos out their with out them.

One of the most famous the Browning HI-power, John Browning answer to all that is wrong with the 1911 design.:lol:

I own and shoot both years ago it was common for 1911 shooters to pin the grip safety down. The first browning design did not have it. He changed it to get the military contract.