• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gary Johnson can fix the America the two party system has broken.

Ca Patriot

Qualified immunity is a well established legal principle, Alito and Roberts would be voting against the rule of law and system of justice if they voted to end QI. QI is a nessecary part of the criminal justice system.

Grand jury testimony immunity is given to anyone who testifies to the grand jury. not just police.

That's one of the weakest arguments possible against a justice.

Open Carry is a little high strung. Be careful what you say, lol

DangerClose

Gary Johnson is really someone with terrific views. He would be excellent as a President, but alas, he will NOT win. He was originally a Republican, so how about this as an idea? Let's work to elect Romney, but let's make it known to Mitt that we want a "significant" role for Gary in his administration. I don't just mean token, but significant. Remember, we can't get major things accomplished overnight, but perhaps in 10 years with small consistent steps, we can.
Romney and the RNC just got done BLATANTLY cheating not only Ron Paul but ALL delegates at the convention, and you think Romney would keep his promise on a deal?

A vote for Johnson for symbolic purposes at this time would be a monumental waste and missed opportunity to get a conservative justice for the next 40 years.
It's not symbolic. It's voting for the best candidate for the job. Also, if Gary Johnson gets enough votes, maybe people will FINALLY stop saying "a third party can't win" when a third party could win just fine if the people who say that would actually vote third party.

You guys can keep voting for evil if you want.

Four more years of Obama will probably do more for the liberty movement and the Constitution than 4-8 years of Romney would anyway. Republicans with a real "small-government" streak to them won in 2010 in big part because Obama was so terrible for two years. Romney being in there would just bring back all the dumbass thinking of "he has an R in front of his name so what he does must be good."

Romney would probably nominate his own idiot judge anyway.

More importantly than the actual vote though is getting Gary Johnson 15% in polls. 15% in polls qualifies him to be on stage debating Romney and Obama. If you get a call from a polling place, tell them you want Gary Johnson. Get him in the debates.

Whats sad is when Mittens loses in Nov. They will blame Ron Paul...
GOOD. Then maybe the big-government GOP idiots will start listening for a change.

()pen(arry

Qualified immunity is a well established legal principle, Alito and Roberts would be voting against the rule of law and system of justice if they voted to end QI. QI is a nessecary part of the criminal justice system.

Your knowledge is sorely lacking on this. Qualified immunity is not a rule of law, it is a doctrine the Supreme Court invented in 1982 in Harlow v. Fitzgerald, and expanded and strengthened in subsequent cases. It says, in essence, that in any claim against government misconduct, government actors are automatically protected against suit unless extraordinarily high hurdles are topped by the plaintiff, requiring information and evidence typically sealed by the very agency that would be sued. It creates a burden of proof far above and beyond that possessed by the state, merely to establish standing. It is derived from 42 USC 1983, but exists nowhere in actual federal law. Indeed, 42 USC 1983 was enacted in 1871 as part of the Civil Rights Act of 1871, with the express purpose of giving victims a path to seek redress for government misconduct, and not until 111 years later was qualified immunity invented from it, a doctrine wholly contrary to the purpose of the statute. It is a doctrine unique to the United States, and within the last 30 years. This is not some foundational principle of Common Law, with eons of august tradition. This is a new and destructive invention of an activist court, and Alito has been foremost among those expanding and strengthening it. It is fawning service to the law enforcement industry.

And we haven't even discussed the effective absolute immunity that prosecutors enjoy and take advantage of.

No one who endorses a doctrine, codified in law or otherwise, that sets apart special protection for government actors can pretend to any regard for the Constitution, let alone claim any love of liberty.

sudden valley gunner

Ca Patriot

Your knowledge is sorely lacking on this. Qualified immunity is not a rule of law, it is a doctrine the Supreme Court invented in 1982 in Harlow v. Fitzgerald, .

Thats odd, I dont remember Roberts and Alito being on the court at that time.

Geez, I have alot to learn.

Keep'em coming......

Thundar

I am a libertarian but many libertarians are very short sighted and immature. They want instant gratification and cant see beyond tomorrow.

They believe electing Ron Paul or Gary Johnson will instantly bring about massive and radical change to the politics of America. Its just not a reality.

In regards to Romney vs Obama and the SCOTUS, just remember that Ruth Ginsbgerg is 90 yrs old and has cancer. She will die or leave the bench in the next 4 years. That means we have a HUGE opportunity to take a seat back IF.........IF.........IF.....and ONLY IF we have a conservative president to nominate the next justice.

Romney needs to be that person, not Obama.

A vote for Johnson for symbolic purposes at this time would be a monumental waste and missed opportunity to get a conservative justice for the next 40 years.

OK, so I live in Virginia where my vote really matters, but I don't like Romney. You live in California where satan has a better chance of winning than Romney, so if you vote for Johnson then I could vote for Rom...

We could drastically lower the Republican vote where it does not matter and increase the anti-obama vote where it does matter........

WHat do you think?

Ca Patriot

OK, so I live in Virginia where my vote really matters, but I don't like Romney. You live in California where satan has a better chance of winning than Romney, so if you vote for Johnson then I could vote for Rom...

We could drastically lower the Republican vote where it does not matter and increase the anti-obama vote where it does matter........

WHat do you think?

I have said many times that I believe the best strategy for libertatians is to focus on state offices and on US congressional offices and slowly build a base.

The presidency is just one aspect of American politics and policy and when you have a chance to get the BETTER person in officer you should.

In life you rarely ever get everything you want.

In America, only about 10% of voters are libertarian.

Before you go off and cast a symbolic vote for Johnson you would be better off working with groups and causes to spread the message and platform of freedom and liberty and constitutional government and build a new base of voters and pick up a few seats in state legislatures and the house so that when the time is right you can work towards a libertarian president.

twoskinsonemanns

Some of us are not interested in playing politics. It's fine for you, but I'm not voting strategically in November. I'm voting for the best person running. That is Johnson. There are only three people that will be on the ballot in every state... The ONLY one that a freedom loving American could possibly vote for with a good conscience is Johnson.

It's also so funny how people think putting Johnson in the WH won't really do anything, but talk about Obama as if he has god-like powers and everything that goes wrong is done by his will alone.

Ca Patriot

Some of us are not interested in playing politics. .

What I suggest isnt politics, its strategy.

Conscious might make you feel better but it wont do anything in reality.

When Obama wins and replaces Ginsberg with another constitution trampler, just remember that everyday you will make up with fewer rights but at least you will have a clear conscious.

However, if you want to use logic and reason and strategy, you can vote for Romney and get a justice that will vote for more freedom and liberty.

twoskinsonemanns

I'm not voting strategically in November. I'm voting for the best person running. That is Johnson.

Well what makes me sleep easy at night is my only concern.

I do not vote based on peer pressure to vote for "the only one who can win".
Nor any type of political savvy notion.

Those things, to me, are detestable, and will not sway my choice for who shapes the future for my family.

twoskinsonemanns

Once you get smarter you will understand.

If it is smarter to bow to peer pressure, to vote for a dishonorable man because Fox news tells you to, to give up like a coward that which is right in the face of long odds.... well you can have that version of intelligence and stick it.

Ca Patriot

Bald assertion, equivocation, and red herring.

In other words, no you can't.

Okay, I cant prove that Romney will appoint better justices than Obama. I can however prove that Obama has appointed terrible justices.

Wouldnt you rather take a chance that Romney will appoint a better justice than Obama ?

Considering its very likely that the next president, whoever it is, will have an even greater number of republicans the pressure would certainly be on Romney to nominate a good justice.

I dont think any of this logic and reason will sway you and as of right now I dont think you have to worry about Romney winning the election or nominating any justices.

()pen(arry

Wouldnt you rather take a chance that Romney will appoint a better justice than Obama ?

No. I would rather be like those principled men of intestinal fortitude who bravely championed the cause of liberty when the majority of their fellow colonists were too timid and complacent to throw off the yoke of oppression; those conscientious men of integrity and conviction who led the way, when so many others told them they were foolhardy and had no hope of challenging the status quo; those noble heroes so many pretend to revere, yet whose legacy they desecrate with their miserable cowardice and willing complicity. I would rather be like those pathfinders and trailblazers, whom the tag-alongs were only too happy to flock to, once the way was already made easy and sure. That is what I would rather. One may fight for freedom, or be assured of slavery. I will not go, simpering, to the chains.

I dont think any of this logic and reason will sway you

There would have to be any in the first place.

as of right now I dont think you have to worry about Romney winning the election or nominating any justices.

That was assured the instant Romney was nominated.

sudden valley gunner

Conscious might make you feel better but it wont do anything in reality.

When Obama wins and replaces Ginsberg with another constitution trampler, just remember that everyday you will make up with fewer rights but at least you will have a clear conscious.

However, if you want to use logic and reason and strategy, you can vote for Romney and get a justice that will vote for more freedom and liberty.

Political strategy my okole!

The only political strategy is by the fake left and right pretending one is better than the other and that they will continue moving this federation toward tyranny. Nope neither one gets my vote, I'm not falling for that strategy.

Ca Patriot

All of you guys have alot of work to do in making good arguments to the American public as to why the libertarian platform is the best one out there and worthy of their vote.

My strategy is to start small on the state level and works towards supporting US congressional house members that embrace libertarian values and ideas.

America is a LONG way away from electing a libertarian president.