• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Georgia Police Shoot Unarmed Teen As He Answers Their Knock At Door

Primus

Come on now primus. No one said anything about running out and putting a gun in someone's face.
We are talking about people in their homes being killed. I not bashing cops but it seems we are not safe in our own homes anymore.
I would think a Leo would be better with there threat assessment in a situation like that.

I was sticking with the OP. The OP story said a kid answered the door with a gun in his hand (possibly Bob gun). The cop shot him because he answered with said gun.

You responded and explained you've answered the door with a gun also. So I asked HOW because that literally is the difference between life and death when ANY person has a gun on the other side.

You said you have answered with your gun drawn..... so why not look through the peep hole? Or out of a window?

Again.... the OP story an officer clearly knocked on the door. This is NOT some sort of raid or no knock warrant , etc. So those situations don't apply.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

LeMat

leon-mathilda-hall.gif

Last edited:

Fuller Malarkey

I was sticking with the OP. The OP story said a kid answered the door with a gun in his hand (possibly Bob gun). The cop shot him because he answered with said gun.

You responded and explained you've answered the door with a gun also. So I asked HOW because that literally is the difference between life and death when ANY person has a gun on the other side.

You said you have answered with your gun drawn..... so why not look through the peep hole? Or out of a window?

Again.... the OP story an officer clearly knocked on the door. This is NOT some sort of raid or no knock warrant , etc. So those situations don't apply.

There is nothing in the OP indicating this child had a gun in his hand. The link offered states "Georgia police shot an unarmed teen"

The cops knocked. Witnesses state the police did not identify themselves when the child asked who was there. Then exterminated the child when he opened the door.

Oddly, nothing has come out verifying the presence of any kind of gun. Not BB, not revolver, not bazooka. Nothing. Crickets on the gun thing. The police claimed there was a gun, retreated behind the protection of the thin blue line and we've been told nothing since.

Maverick9

Remember this:
1. Cops go to the door in numbers;
2. Cops are wearing vests;
3. Cops at the door are prepared to evade as needed.

We're not talking about an ambush!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Lack of new information at this point in time means absolutely nothing.

What is noteworthy is the reoccurance of some to push/pull/drag OCDO into being another "Cop Watch" by virtue of the manner of expressing/descibing/posting their take on the event - introduces bias...that is what makes it LEO bashing. That [strike]needs to[/strike] will stop.

OC for ME

The salient point, that I take away from the story is that being armed in your own home may be hazardous to your, or a family member's health. It seems that Primus recommends that we not be prepared, gun in hand, when we open a door that dose not have a peep hole or dead-light on either side of the door, as seems to be the case of the trailer.

Witnesses state that the cops did not ID themselves. The kid made his last mistake, he opened the door.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The salient point, that I take away from the story is that being armed in your own home may be hazardous to your, or a family member's health. It seems that Primus recommends that we not be prepared, gun in hand, when we open a door that dose not have a peep hole or dead-light on either side of the door, as seems to be the case of the trailer.

Witnesses state that the cops did not ID themselves. The kid made his last mistake, he opened the door.
Our choices affect the end result.

Have security lighting, large peep hole, substantially reinforced door & locks, armed 24/7 - do not open the door w/o confirming what is on the other side. Has worked for me.......so far.

Maverick9

What is noteworthy is the reoccurance of some to push/pull/drag OCDO into being another "Cop Watch" by virtue of the manner of expressing/descibing/posting their take on the event - introduces bias...that is what makes it LEO bashing. That [strike]needs to[/strike] will stop.

Would you not agree that LEO are doing a very good job of ruining their -own- reputations by virtue of their actions (or inaction in the face of crimes committed under color of authority)? I see no reason OCDO needs to do it, or even be upset by it.

OC for ME

Our choices affect the end result.

Have security lighting, large peep hole, substantially reinforced door & locks, armed 24/7 - do not open the door w/o confirming what is on the other side. Has worked for me.......so far.
Easy to say.....no so easy, for some, to accomplish, or install. You did see the trailer, did you not? You did read the plight of the "family", did you not?

The kid made no such choices, nor did he have the opportunity, it seems, to participate in any choices.

Anyway.....

Maverick9

For example:

” Austin Police Chief Art Acevedo said at a press conference Friday, according to Austin NPR station 90.5 KUT.
“And quite frankly she wasn’t charged with resisting. She’s lucky I wasn’t the arresting officer, because I wouldn’t have been as generous. … In other cities there’s cops who are actually committing sexual assaults on duty, so I thank God that this is what passes for a controversy in Austin, Texas,”
Acevedo said.

Not long after that, it became clear that Acevedo had essentially told the public that they should be grateful that all the police officers did was bundle a woman who had been jogging through the streets of Austin into the back of a police car because she crossed against the light, instead of molesting her raping her, or charging her with more serious offenses.

Saturday evening, Acevedo issued an apology for his earlier comments, calling it the result of an emotional week.

Primus

Easy to say.....no so easy, for some, to accomplish, or install. You did see the trailer, did you not? You did read the plight of the "family", did you not?

The kid made no such choices, nor did he have the opportunity, it seems, to participate in any choices.

Anyway.....

First....The kid made no choices? Cmon... he's 17. That's an adult in a lot of peoples book. And he most certainly made choices. The door didn't open itself and a gun (If there was one) didn't appear in his hand magically. The trailer doesn't have any windows anywhere?

Second... and most telling.... is apparently it matters who the attacker is when we are seeing these stories. When TM attacked Z I'm sure he wasn't a helpless kid then who wasn't able to make choices. This was a tragic accident it seems. But I'm hearing an awful lot of "oh its for the children" speak going on. I'd normally be all behind that and agree except I see that line thrown around a daily basis to put down any politician or Leo or ANYTHING that guys don't agree with. Now conveniently it is about the children....

As been stated... we have little information so far. Half says there was a gun and half doesn't. The rest is speculation on our parts.

What isn't speculation is there's about 6 OTHER steps you should teach your "kids" to do before they open a door with a gun in their hand. Like get an adult.... or not answer the door.... or look out windows ... peep holes......call the police...

Fuller Malarkey

I've never understood what kind of sickness one would have that would cause them to somehow attribute the suffering inflicted by government agents to the behavior of the victim.

By the "reasoning" of some here, rape victims could control their fates if they dressed different.

We are still talking of a child in the sanctuary he called his home, here in the U.S., where we still are entitled to some degree of security and freedom unless I missed the memo, not a refugee in the ghettos of Beirut where warlike extremes are the norm. How free are we if we are required to teach our children to fear their government? How free are we that the most important lessons we can instill in our children is how to answer the door if there should be a government agent on the other side?

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Would you not agree that LEO are doing a very good job of ruining their -own- reputations by virtue of their actions (or inaction in the face of crimes committed under color of authority)? I see no reason OCDO needs to do it, or even be upset by it.
Those that go beyond their legal authority should individually be subject to censor > prosecution. The entire LE community is not or should not be painted with a broad brush. That is precisely what some are demonstrating their agenda to be.

Primus

The big problem with a "teach your children how to answer the door" campaign is that it implies that police killing people that answer the door is a naturally occurring phenomenon, as opposed to being evidence that we have an out of control unaccountable government entity taking it upon themselves to kill us arbitrarily.

By propagating that message, shifting responsibility for door answering from the perpetrators of the ambush to the victims, it feeds the beliefs that what the police are doing to us is somehow normal and to be expected, and if people don't want to be exterminated, they better learn acceptable indications of submissiveness.

This seems contrary to the understanding that we are a free people.

I hate to even acknowledge your posts but......

"Teaching a kid to answer the door" has NOTHING to do with police

There's a correct way to answer ANY door. Especially when you don't know who is on the other side. A peep hole isn't to look for cops.... its to see any person on the other side. Same with windows and lights. This is home defense 101. Take a class... read a book....

I get it... YOU probably assume its cops on the other side of every door coming for you. But a normal law abiding citizen wouldn't know who is banging on the door and would make some effort to look before they opened the door. Then they would determine if and how to react to said person on the other side. And if said person knew it was the police its NOT a good idea to open said door with a gun in your hand.

The sky is falling...

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
The sky is falling...

A young man is dead, "Primus". Dead.

He's dead thanks to an attempt to serve an arrest warrant over a probation violation (which very probably means over BS) – and thanks to the asinine tactics & training utilized by those in your profession – and you sarcastically discount the magnitude of what happened, of what happens every day in this country of ours.

Your callous disregard for the lives of those your profession ostensibly exists to protect speaks volumes, Primus. As usual.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Mistakes were made, a young man is dead and hopefully changes will be made.

I do not see Primus defending what happened nor blaming the young man as being contributory.

His comments are seen as just that "comments" on how one can help to avoid bad things that might happen, even in the sanctuary of your own home. Time to ease off gentlemen - we are eating our own. No more personal attacks.

I said much the same thing - good basic security procedures that cost only a small amount might very well have helped this young man to be more aware. That is not to blame him, but it is a valid observation. I taught my kids proper security protocol when they were much, much younger than this young man.

Back to the situation as it occurred - hope that a thorough and complete review is made + action taken as indicated by that review.

OC for ME

First....The kid made no choices? Cmon... he's 17. That's an adult in a lot of peoples book. And he most certainly made choices. The door didn't open itself and a gun (If there was one) didn't appear in his hand magically. The trailer doesn't have any windows anywhere? <snip>
He opened the door because he did not hear a response to his inquiry as to who was on the other side.

<snip> Time to ease off gentlemen - we are eating our own. No more personal attacks. <snip>
"Broad brushing" of all posts in in this thread is dishonest and reprehensible. The "I didn't specifically say..." is rejected out of hand.

The below is intended to give you a idea as to the "tactical situation" as it relates to the incident.

JZRU_shooting.jpg

Note the location of windows with respect to the door. Note the apparent absence of means to see who is on the other side of the door from the inside.

Kopis

I have a wii and all my gun controllers are BRIGHT ORANGE or WHITE PLASTIC and couldn't be mistaken for a real gun. This is unless you are looking for an excuse or reason to see what you want to see deep in your psyche.

yeah i forgot WII controllers are white usually. I read it was just a warrant for a probation violation. Why does that kind of warrant need a SWAT team with drawn weapons? I guess we would need to know what the original conviction was for to fully know the circumstances.

Last edited:

Primus

yeah i forgot WII controllers are white usually. I read it was just a warrant for a probation violation. Why does that kind of warrant need a SWAT team with drawn weapons? I guess we would need to know what the original conviction was for to fully know the circumstances.

It wasn't a SWAT team... it was one female officer and her partner or back up officer. It didnt say she walked up with guns drawn (anywhere that I read, may have missed that) it said he opened door with a gun (possible bb gun) and she shot him.

The family lawyer says no gun just Wii controller.

Witnesses say controller because when they say the body there was a controller near it or in his hand.